585,775 active members*
4,251 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > I/O using Ethernet for FANUC 18i-PB
Page 1 of 2 12

Lightbulb I/O using Ethernet for FANUC 18i-PB

We have Amada Vipros 2510C with FANUC 18i-PB Controller.
    We have been using RS232 since years however it has given us its fair share of problems. Majorly we had a burnout issue on main board due to RS232 (Not exactly sure how/why it happened) costing us a lot.

This prompted us to try other i/o devices. We tested the memory card slot near LCD but that is also non-functional. Floppy disc drive is also non-functional. That leaves us to use the RS232 again or buy a new DNC device which the sales guys are asking us to do.

We noticed there is a Ethernet port also on the controller back and wonder if that can be used to the program transfer. I have tried scratching through online manuals but nothing concrete I could find. I asked our repairs guy and he said it is possible but he does not have any information on how to do it.

Does anyone here can help us with this. I would really appreciate it.

Re: I/O using Ethernet for FANUC 18i-PB

Call Fanuc and ask for the Program Transfer Tool. This will load part programs into the controller VIA Ethernet.

like drdos said,buy the Program transfer tool software from Fanuc,is cheap and is an easy program to use for transfer files,it is drag and drop.
    Also check if you have the EMBEDD menu on the cnc for setting the IP.
    if you do not see it ,it means you have to buy the option for it also from Fanuc.

Quote Originally Posted by drdos View Post
    Call Fanuc and ask for the Program Transfer Tool. This will load part programs into the controller VIA Ethernet.
    Quote Originally Posted by zavateandu View Post
    like drdos said,buy the Program transfer tool software from Fanuc,is cheap and is an easy program to use for transfer files,it is drag and drop.
    Also check if you have the EMBEDD menu on the cnc for setting the IP.
    if you do not see it ,it means you have to buy the option for it also from Fanuc.
    Thank you for your suggestions. We do have Embed option available on our machine so thats not an issue.

I did check with fanuc website but sadly there is no mention of the tool on our country's website.

I saw some brief mentions about setting FTP on the PC and that way we can transfer via ETH but there is not much info/tutorial about it available. If anyone can explain the steps/ link me then it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

ask Fanuc to sell this
    A08B-9510-J515 Program Transfer Tool (via Ethernet)
    i suggest this because is more easy for you to just drag and drop programs and you can connect 100 machines to it

hello.
    Thanks for the suggestions.

I actually got the file transfer program and connected my laptop to the controller via ethernet cable directly.

I did input ip setting on controller and tried pinging the machine from the program transfer program but could not.
    I turned off windows firewall, put cnc ip to 192.168.0.1 according to manual.

Do I need to change any i/o setting or params for it to recognize it? Is there any guide to do so?

..If, you connect directly from CNC to PC you would need a Crossover cable.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable

Quote Originally Posted by machinehop5 View Post
    ..If, you connect directly from CNC to PC you would need a Crossover cable.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable
    I can also utilize router if necessary. I will check with that. So I will input the router ip address in CNC accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by stuffsneak View Post
    We do have Embed option available on our machine so thats not an issue.

I did check with fanuc website but sadly there is no mention of the tool on our country's website.
    ...this may help ya too
    https://www.cnc1.com/hubfs/fanuc-lib....pdf?hsLang=en

Thank I already went through that before. Today I will try with either crossover / router way to connect.

We only can see the Embdd Eth option available on my controller. Hopefully today I will be able to test out the program transfer tool using the crossover/router connection.

My doubt was that do I need to change the I/O channel parameter in cnc in order for this all to work? because I could not find that info anywhere.

Lightbulb Re: I/O using Ethernet for FANUC 18i-PB

Hello,

I just tried using crossover cable and I was able to ping my CNC from my computer. I also did the communication test from the "program transfer tool" and it also pinged my CNC. (Image attached)

Now I opened up the program transfer tool however, it only shows DATA folder in my CNC and no other folder tree/structure is shown. (Image attached)

When I try to send some program file, it shows following prompt with limited options. (Image attached)

I checked my I/O channel in parameters it is set to 0 (maybe RS232) I tried setting it to 9 but still same.

Kindly suggest what I can do more. My RS232 is toasted in controller (will take huge cost to repair) and also memory card slot I am not able to troubleshoot. Only ethernet seems to be better option.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ping test.jpg   program transfer tool.jpg   sending data.jpg  

...good to hear you're making progress....try Transfer of a program (or any Data) from the CNC to PC first. Helps the troubleshoot of connection.

try using FTP transfer with the IP address of your PC

I could not get the FANUC program to work no matter how much I tried.

However I did get the FTP server to work with the crossover cable. All thanks to Doosan Infracore. Although this manual is very old (from 2008) this is the only all in one step by step guide I could find for the purpose.

I am attaching it here since it will definitely help others who are trying to connect through ethernet and not succeeding.
    Attached Files Attached Files

...forgot to ask want Operating System you using on your Laptop Win7, XP or?...do you want to be able to Access this machine from any PC on your network at some point in the future? or maybe just your Laptop. The reason I ask is because Networking the machine should be fairly easy on a small shop Network

...forgot to ask want Operating System you using on your Laptop Win7, XP or?...do you want to be able to Access this machine from any PC on your network at some point in the future? or maybe just your Laptop. The reason I ask is because Networking the machine should be fairly easy on a small shop Network
    I tested on Win 7 64 bit laptop. I am planning to try out the router connection within next few days so that any computer on network might be able to host files.

...Router brand and modal number would be needed to find out how it assigns DHCP addresses.would be the first thing to know. How comfortable are you with how to access Router settings? It's fairly easy.

...Router brand and modal number would be needed to find out how it assigns DHCP addresses.would be the first thing to know. How comfortable are you with how to access Router settings? It's fairly easy.
    Oh you are right. My ISP / Router probably wont assign static IP addresses. I know how to open the router management page. but after that I will have to check.

Will test it and return back.

...what you're looking for is your router address, which would be the the Gateway address to set Fanuc to ....and assign an IP address to Fanuc that is on the same subnet but, outside what your Router has reserved for DHCP addresses. Usually something like a block of fifty.. 192.168.1.100 thru 192.168.1.150 so....you would want to set the Fanuc IP to anything outside 100-150 number between 0-99 or 151-254. That way no IP conflicts happen.

Sometimes when i connect to machine via Program transfer tool,i had to go to the windows firewall and allow the program transfer tool

Quote Originally Posted by zavateandu View Post
    Sometimes when i connect to machine via Program transfer tool,i had to go to the windows firewall and allow the program transfer tool
    I had done that. I even turned win firewall off but still could not connect.

Page 1 of 2 12