584,812 active members*
5,395 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Z axis sliding down

Hello,
    I am upgrading my cnc milling machine with better linear rails and a ball screw instead of the lead screw I was using. Now axes runs much smoother and nicely, but when I fit the spindle, the Z axis tends to slide down. I haven’t fixed the stepper motor yet, but I don’t think that will improve much the situation when it’s off.
    Total weight of the axis is less than 10kg but anyway enough to create this problem.
    I have seen some machines have installed gas springs to avoid this problem, but I struggle to find a gas spring with less than 100N force and 300mm stroke.
    Is there anybody that have some other suggestions?

Re: Z axis sliding down

Hi Morf -
    1) you can install a brake on the stepper
    2) you can install long tension spring(s)
    3) you can use a gas spring - the hardware store has springs that range for cupboards
    4) you can use a counterweight
    5) a bungee to the roof helps
    6) helium ballons
    7) build your own gas spring using a remote air tank

I've done a couple of these, but prefer to use a brake on the motor these days much simpler... Peter

Quote Originally Posted by morfeus80 View Post
    Hello,
    I am upgrading my cnc milling machine with better linear rails and a ball screw instead of the lead screw I was using. Now axes runs much smoother and nicely, but when I fit the spindle, the Z axis tends to slide down. I haven’t fixed the stepper motor yet, but I don’t think that will improve much the situation when it’s off.
    Total weight of the axis is less than 10kg but anyway enough to create this problem.
    I have seen some machines have installed gas springs to avoid this problem, but I struggle to find a gas spring with less than 100N force and 300mm stroke.
    you can use back SUV window shocks work good or change the motor with a brake
    XZero cnc

Hi Morfeus - Also with the gas spring if there is a strut regasser nearby they can gas a spring to your force range but a brake is the go... Peter

Hello,
    You can also just mount a piece of plastic against the Ballscrew, this will work like a friction brake, can be spring loaded, needs very little load to stop the screw from turning, a piece of cutting board will work, or other quality plastic can be used
    Mactec54

Hello,

Mount the motor first and if it still sliding down, then use brake or springs.