584,841 active members*
4,764 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Apprenticeship for Red Seal Question:

Hi all!

I am currently enrolled in an 1800 hour Machinist program and loving it. My question is regarding the apprenticeship to obtain a Red Seal certification.

With many well paying jobs hiring straight out of school without a formal apprenticeship given, should an effort still be made to continue after schooling down the path of apprenticeship? One of the issues is that I see many jobs available with very little experience required as there is a shortage of Machinists, but it is rare I see an opening for a formal apprectice.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thats hard when I first came here from the UK ( I had papers from there) almost every body wanted Canadian papers, since I got the red seal nobody seems to ask any more.??
    I would do it just in case of that one job one day that may want it.
    Forrey.

Quote Originally Posted by Melmister View Post
    Hi all!

I am currently enrolled in an 1800 hour Machinist program and loving it. My question is regarding the apprenticeship to obtain a Red Seal certification.
    What Tech school are you taking the course at?

I would definitely get your red seal, some of the best jobs out there require it. If another job candidate doesn't have a red seal but you do, the odds are stacked in your favour.

I am even going back to school right now to obtain my Alberta blue seal. I also plan to challenge my Tool & Die red seal this coming summer.
    Live free or die

Thanks for the reply's Forrey and Chuck! I am attending Rosemount Tech centre.

Worst case, if I cannot find a company that will take me on as an apprentice after graduation, can I just take the test for the Red Seal after working a few years?

I took a look at the Rosemount website, it looks like a pretty comprehensive course.

You can challenge the red seal, I think that you need at least 7600 hours of work. I attempted to look it up on the Quebec apprenticeship website, but the French I learned in grade 8 isn't enough.

All the information should be on the website, or try to phon the place and they can help you out.
    Live free or die

Thanks Chuck! I'll try to get in contact with them and post when I get a response.

I am under the understanding that you can only challenge the C of Q if you have another similar trade certificate already. ie Machinist - Millwright.

As far as I know the grandfather clause was done away with a dozen years ago.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Quote Originally Posted by DareBee View Post
    C of Q

?????

Is that just the Quebec journeyman or what.
    Live free or die

Location = Stratford, Ont. Canada

Certificate of Qualification

In regards to Melmister's first question.
    All efforts should be made to get all qualifications and training that you can. I have hired some guys with papers that were very useless and I have had guys without papers who are great.
    It is possible (and likely) that when I am sorting resumes I toss most of them without papers.
    Another point that I consider is that it shows drive or "stick to it-ness" that a person is willing to go through all the motions of getting qualified, wether it is needed or not.
    AND some times I can't send a guy out to do site work without a C of Q (not so much an issue with machinists but I have in the past sent machinists to work in a customers tool room for a few weeks if they have staffing issues).
    www.integratedmechanical.ca