584,846 active members*
4,636 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Delta 20, 110v power input

Hi all,
    I'd like to switch over my dynapath Delta 20 to run from 110v input rather than 3ph 220v. I've traced the incoming power as far as a large step down transformer on the bottom of the cabinet. The secondary side of the transformer outputs 110v (see picture).

Would it be safe to assume I can attach my incoming 110v hot, neutral and ground leads directly to those leads that are(were) coming off the transformer? Since everything downstream of that would be expecting 110v.

Also, what is the purpose of the component bridging the hot and ground/neutral terminals on the transformer? My multimeter says there's electrical continuity between the terminals, which seems weird to me...

Thanks in advance,

Lee

Re: Delta 20, 110v power input

Quote Originally Posted by leeko View Post
    Hi all,
    I'd like to switch over my dynapath Delta 20 to run from 110v input rather than 3ph 220v. I've traced the incoming power as far as a large step down transformer on the bottom of the cabinet. The secondary side of the transformer outputs 110v (see picture).

Would it be safe to assume I can attach my incoming 110v hot, neutral and ground leads directly to those leads that are(were) coming off the transformer? Since everything downstream of that would be expecting 110v.

Also, what is the purpose of the component bridging the hot and ground/neutral terminals on the transformer? My multimeter says there's electrical continuity between the terminals, which seems weird to me...

Thanks in advance,

Lee
    Your supply is 120v / 240v for NA, yes, a lot of times this is possible, what is up stream of the Transformed, there would normally be a Breaker or Fuses so a direct connect would not be a normal thing to do

One main thing you will have to know how many amps it was for 220v/240v and your 120v supply would have to be more than double that, to run everything off 120v
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Your supply is 120v / 240v for NA, yes, a lot of times this is possible, what is up stream of the Transformed, there would normally be a Breaker or Fuses so a direct connect would not be a normal thing to do

One main thing you will have to know how many amps it was for 220v/240v and your 120v supply would have to be more than double that, to run everything off 120v
    Ah, that's a great point. I believe it's 20a, which would make for a 40a 110v. Could I instead run it from 220v single phase? Then I could continue to use the existing transformers (and the upstream fuses). Ultimately, if I can get the control running from single phase, I'd like to install a VFD to control the spindle ( removing the rotary phase converter from the equation completely)

Lee

Ah, that's a great point. I believe it's 20a, which would make for a 40a 110v. Could I instead run it from 220v single phase? Then I could continue to use the existing transformers (and the upstream fuses). Ultimately, if I can get the control running from single phase, I'd like to install a VFD to control the spindle ( removing the rotary phase converter from the equation completely)

Lee
    Your Power supply is 120v /240v for Single Phase in NA not 110v /220v

240v supply single phase supply would be good if you can use it with that Transformer, a VFD Drive is an easy choice for a spindle motor control, the spindle motor will have to be an AC 3Phase Motor to use a VFD Drive
    Mactec54

The disc shaped component is a surge absorber.

What is your machine? Providing a description or manufacturer/model information would help us give you more specific advice.

RT

Snubbers

Thanks in advance,

Lee
    ...more reading about Snubbers if, intrested
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snubber

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Your Power supply is 120v /240v for Single Phase in NA not 110v /220v

240v supply single phase supply would be good if you can use it with that Transformer, a VFD Drive is an easy choice for a spindle motor control, the spindle motor will have to be an AC 3Phase Motor to use a VFD Drive
    Thanks for bearing with me. What does NA mean in this context? Also, I'm not sure the distinction between 110v and 120v (or 220v vs 240v) - which is coming from the wall?

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by cngbrick View Post
    The disc shaped component is a surge absorber.

What is your machine? Providing a description or manufacturer/model information would help us give you more specific advice.

RT
    Hi, sorry about that. It's a Clausing Kondia FV-1 3 axis knee mill, 1994 model with a dynapath Delta 20 control. In the base of the control cabinet are 2 large transformers, one which steps down to 120vac and another which steps down to 72vac. Both are tapped off the 3ph 220v hot leads. I traced the 72vac outputs to inputs 9 and 10 on the servo power supply.

Thanks

. What does NA mean in this context? Also, I'm not sure the distinction between 110v and 120v (or 220v vs 240v) - which is coming from the wall?

Thanks again
    Many still use the old notation,.
    N.A. (North America) has been 120v/240v for some decades now.
    You may even find 110v stamped on some current items, especially from China etc.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Many still use the old notation,.
    N.A. (North America) has been 120v/240v for some decades now.
    You may even find 110v stamped on some current items, especially from China etc.
    Thanks very much. I ended up finding the 110v inputs on the power supply , and hooked directly to those. It now switches on fine without powering up the phase converter, which will make troubleshooting the "power fail" error a bit easier.

Lee