584,829 active members*
4,969 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

shielded cables for inverters in OZ

Hi All,
    I'm looking for a 4 core shielded cable with 1.0mm2 or 0.75mm2 conductors in OZ. There's lots of 1.5mm2 around bit that's too heavy for a 1.5kW spindle. Its a bit stiff. Any clues out there? I'm in northern NSW. I can get 0.5m2 and double it up but that sounds odd....The spindle came with loose 18AWG (0.75mm2) wires. I could just keep them separated from the other cables but would be neater to run them through the same cable track. From memory the manual said 200mm separation. May try to use unshielded and see how that goes, can get 3 core+earth in 1.0mm2 easily in unshielded. Peter

Re: shielded cables for inverters in OZ

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Hi All,
    I'm looking for a 4 core shielded cable with 1.0mm2 or 0.75mm2 conductors in OZ. There's lots of 1.5mm2 around bit that's too heavy for a 1.5kW spindle. Its a bit stiff. Any clues out there? I'm in northern NSW. I can get 0.5m2 and double it up but that sounds odd....The spindle came with loose 18AWG (0.75mm2) wires. I could just keep them separated from the other cables but would be neater to run them through the same cable track. From memory the manual said 200mm separation. May try to use unshielded and see how that goes, can get 3 core+earth in 1.0mm2 easily in unshielded. Peter
    It's an electrical code requirement that you use the correct shielded cable in Oz for VFD Drive installation

Could you not get it from IGUS they have the cable you need; it will be hard to find anything else that is suitable, other than another company that carries their same cable that you will pay more for.

CF6-07-04 is the cable you need to look for, they have other cable that is also suitable if they don't have this cable, this is the cheapest of the range though. if you need other cable part numbers, I have those also

You can twist the 3 Phase wires together, they need a tight twist though; the Ground / Earth wire is not twisted in with the conductors, you can tape all 4 wires together ,an example of how tight the twist needs to be, the snip is just 2 wires but 3 should be the same, you can use your drill to twist it like this clamp the 3 wires at one end and put the other 3 wires in the drill chuck low speed, just stretch it out and start the drill, to hold the twisted cable tight if you have too, you can dab on some super glue

You have to keep it pulled tight by pulling back on the drill, have fun this will work until you can get the real cable. all your DC wiring should be done like this unless you are using cables, always Twist wire pairs wherever you can this helps to cancel out any unwanted noise.
    Mactec54

Hi All,
    Hi Peter,
    I have both 0.75mm and 1.00mm VFD cable.
    https://www.homanndesigns.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=55_11&products_id=249
    https://www.homanndesigns.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=55_11&products_id=228

Cheers
    Peter
    -------------------------------------------------
    Homann Designs - http://www.homanndesigns.com/store

Hi Peter - Excellent. I've got some 1.5mm2 Bambach now for a machine but next time I now know Ta Peter

Hi Peter - Excellent. I've got some 1.5mm2 Bambach now for a machine but next time I now know Ta Peter
    Will the 1.5 cable fit through your Plug cable clamp restraint, the outside diameter of your cable is important for these plugs, the Bambach shielded cable looks good
    Mactec54

Hi Mac - Solving one problem at a time. Still many to chew through. Peter

Hi All - Some of Homann Designs shielded cable arrived today. Very very happy with it. 8mm diameter nice and soft (wires are 0.75mm2). The other one is stiff and Dia12mm (1.5mm2 wires). Thanks Peter H for speaking up, been looking for this solution for a while! Peter

Hi all wire Sages out there - What do I trim or cut the wire shield with so its neat? so the wires are extended and the shield is cut neat? Stanley knife is my best bet at the moment? Peter

Hi all wire Sages out there - What do I trim or cut the wire shield with so its neat? so the wires are extended and the shield is cut neat? Stanley knife is my best bet at the moment? Peter
    There are several types of fine blade cutters a Knife of any kind will do a bad job a snip of what works best these can be found in most supply stores and they are not expensive $6 to $8
    Mactec54

Hi Sages - I tried my scissors today and they worked fine. The snips look good I'll keep an eye out for those. Matt was here today and completed the rough wiring. Got the spindle turning and sorted some earthing. The Z coupling stripped the hex in the little screw when doing up so couldn't test the Z axis. All other things are working. I think it will be sawdust time next session.... Peter

Hi Sages - I tried my scissors today and they worked fine. The snips look good I'll keep an eye out for those. Matt was here today and completed the rough wiring. Got the spindle turning and sorted some earthing. The Z coupling stripped the hex in the little screw when doing up so couldn't test the Z axis. All other things are working. I think it will be sawdust time next session.... Peter
    Yes, good quality scissors can work well for the fine stuff like this
    Mactec54

Hi MC - Yes they are good carbon steel dressmakers scissors I use for cutting fibreglass and CF cloth. Easy Pezzy. Peter

Hi MC - Yes they are good carbon steel dressmakers scissors I use for cutting fibreglass and CF cloth. Easy Pezzy. Peter
    The only problem with the scissors is the long thick cutting edges, the little diagonal side cutting pliers are even easier to use, they come in many flavors.

The important thing is you got it done with what you had
    Mactec54