584,846 active members*
4,007 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread mill wheel

Can any expert here can tell me the design of thread mill wheel?normally the thread profile is do it one by one?Now i use Walter CNC machine grind the thread mill and the thread profile is doing one by one (one wheel for roughing and one wheel for finishing). Is any company have experience produced thread mill wheel before??I really need help please, thanks!!

thread mill wheel

yes.
    you have it right. on a Walter machine the thread is ground 1 at a time.
    best wheel i found for thread mill is a diamond plated wheel.
    made to size and shape and plated with diamond. you will need to experiment with feeds and speeds for best surface finish and best wheel life and best stock removal.
    with a good wheel you can do with 1 pass, no need for roughing and finishing.
    you should be able to ask any diamond company and they will have plated wheels.
    good luck!!
    Walter is a great machine, but not the best at making thread mills.

Quote Originally Posted by cb1 View Post
    yes.
    you have it right. on a Walter machine the thread is ground 1 at a time.
    best wheel i found for thread mill is a diamond plated wheel.
    made to size and shape and plated with diamond. you will need to experiment with feeds and speeds for best surface finish and best wheel life and best stock removal.
    with a good wheel you can do with 1 pass, no need for roughing and finishing.
    you should be able to ask any diamond company and they will have plated wheels.
    good luck!!
    Walter is a great machine, but not the best at making thread mills.
    Thanks for your reply!!
    If the thread profile is grind one in one time then will be take long time to produce one thread mills profile. It is possible to grind few profile in one time? This is because i found that if the thread profile grind one by one then hard to control the tolerance of pitch. DO you know pitch tolerance below how many micron that is still acceptable for the thread mills.

yes. threadmills take a long time. that is why they cost so much.
    you can only produce one thread at a time due to the helix angle and rake angle of the flute, unless you have a special machine for thread grinding.
    with Walter it will be one at a time.(as far as I know)
    Im sorry i dont have tolerance info. I will ask a friend and get back to you.
    you can expect a 12mm threadmill to take around 20min cycle time
    to complete. maybe as low as 15min or as long as 30min per tool depending on your wheels.

tolerance

My friend tells me the tolerance is zero.
    he say they must be "right on"
    he says it is no probolem to hold the pitch.
    I told him you have trouble with pitch tolerance and he says "Walter software is bad for threadmill grinding"

Quote Originally Posted by cb1 View Post
    My friend tells me the tolerance is zero.
    he say they must be "right on"
    he says it is no probolem to hold the pitch.
    I told him you have trouble with pitch tolerance and he says "Walter software is bad for threadmill grinding"
    Thanks for your reply!!
    Can you ask your friend is it have a wheel is grind few thread profile in a time?
    Let say i want do 17 profile thread mills, but the tolerance at first 8 profile should be ok, after 8 profile the tolerance will run out a lot. I have to use one hour to finish 17 profile thread mills due to prevent the wheel wont wear so fast.

what is the brand of the wheel and grit.....are you truing and dressing the wheel to the arbor......I do the od, thread, and hone each tooth individually and im a third of the cycle times posted on nano grain carbide. the wheels and carbide are the most important factors of threadmills