584,833 active members*
5,582 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Turning Machines > Goodway Yama Seiki spindle bearing failure

Goodway Yama Seiki spindle bearing failure

We have 3x Goodway/Yama Seiki GLS 200 turning centres which all have needed spindle bearings replaced within the first 3 years of ownership. One of which was only 3 months old when the spindle bearing failed therefore was repaired under warranty.

Our local agent for these machines has been great during these issues but unfortunately I can’t say the same for Goodway.
    We had Goodway engineers from Taiwan inspect the machines and they believe it was due to a crash or operator error. None of the machines have had any crash, the local agent confirmed this as they are the ones to service these machines but Goodway still wouldn’t take any responsibility and wouldn’t offer us any support to get the machines up and running.

We have other brand machines running the same parts which are over 15 years old without any issues.

This must be due to a manufacturing or assembly fault. I can’t see what else would cause premature failure like this.

I just wanted to share our experience with fellow machinists out there and hopefully it saves others from going through this very expensive exercise.

Re: Goodway Yama Seiki spindle bearing failure

We have a GLS 2000ly and have major problems with vibrations when we turn.
    We can't turn with a right side tool. It is better with a left tool.
    The machine is about 2 years old and has been running for less than 100 hours.
    Are there others who have problems with their Goodway.?
    We may think ball bearings are defect.

Quote Originally Posted by jeppes View Post
    We have a GLS 2000ly and have major problems with vibrations when we turn.
    We can't turn with a right side tool. It is better with a left tool.
    The machine is about 2 years old and has been running for less than 100 hours.
    Are there others who have problems with their Goodway.?
    We may think ball bearings are defect.
    Definitely something going on with the bearings down at Goodway. Good luck getting any support from Goodway themselves. Best to take it up with the the local agent.

Quote Originally Posted by Leemac View Post
    We have 3x Goodway/Yama Seiki GLS 200 turning centres which all have needed spindle bearings replaced within the first 3 years of ownership. One of which was only 3 months old when the spindle bearing failed therefore was repaired under warranty.

Our local agent for these machines has been great during these issues but unfortunately I can’t say the same for Goodway.
    We had Goodway engineers from Taiwan inspect the machines and they believe it was due to a crash or operator error. None of the machines have had any crash, the local agent confirmed this as they are the ones to service these machines but Goodway still wouldn’t take any responsibility and wouldn’t offer us any support to get the machines up and running.

We have other brand machines running the same parts which are over 15 years old without any issues.

This must be due to a manufacturing or assembly fault. I can’t see what else would cause premature failure like this.

I just wanted to share our experience with fellow machinists out there and hopefully it saves others from going through this very expensive exercise.

The author's passion for the subject matter shines through in this article and is contagious.2048