584,830 active members*
5,457 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Toolchanger aligned! Sometimes.

Toolchanger aligned! Sometimes.

Hey guys. I have a 4020. I've usually had the tool platter loaded completely...using all 21 pockets when running jobs. No issue.

Recently, I changed up my workflow a bit and only use the tools for that one particular job I'm running. Less tools loaded in the tool changer. Since doing so, the platter aligns fine with SOME of the tools at a tool change....but now, not with ALL of them. The "problem child" tools error out the changer when sliding over. Wham! No can do. Slide back.

FYI: The tools that don't load aren't sequential either. One tool either side of one that does not load could very well load fine. That might just be CT40 holders being more picky than others when something isn't aligned right in the first place. idk

How to fix this platter alignment when some slots work and some do not? I assume that this has something to do with the less weight on one side of the platter (since now not having it fully loaded). That also got pickier on me.

Thanks!

Re: Toolchanger aligned! Sometimes.

Stagger your loading pattern so the platter is balanced. For example if your tool path is using 10 tools use tools 2, 4, 6...20. Something else you might try is reset the tool pocket position to a new slot and reload the tools. After take off the guard and clean everything out and make sure there are no chips jammed up in there.

Quote Originally Posted by warrenb View Post
    Stagger your loading pattern so the platter is balanced. For example if your tool path is using 10 tools use tools 2, 4, 6...20. Something else you might try is reset the tool pocket position to a new slot and reload the tools. After take off the guard and clean everything out and make sure there are no chips jammed up in there.
    Decent ideas to try. Staggering tools like that does slow down the re-load process (which is what I was trying to optimize). Going to a new T1 pocket might work, but it might not work when new tools are loaded of different weights and quantity. But nonetheless, something to try when all else fails me. It might even be out of alignment. Going with fewer tools in the carousel might have exacerbated an underlying problem. I've never checked because it hasn't been an issue.

Thanks for the info!

Try staggering first. You're kind of stuck with slow tool change speeds with this kind of tool changer regardless. It's not an issue for my long cycle time molds so doesn't bother me. (Not much benefit saving 10 seconds on a 30 hour toolpath). I have used FADALS that are 30 years old and still kicking. I had problems with my platter when I needed a huge face mill so I had to put it on the opposite side of several smaller tools and got rid of my Z height misalignments. Keep us posted how it goes.

Try staggering first. You're kind of stuck with slow tool change speeds with this kind of tool changer regardless. It's not an issue for my long cycle time molds so doesn't bother me. (Not much benefit saving 10 seconds on a 30 hour toolpath). I have used FADALS that are 30 years old and still kicking. I had problems with my platter when I needed a huge face mill so I had to put it on the opposite side of several smaller tools and got rid of my Z height misalignments. Keep us posted how it goes.
    I agree! They are built Sherman tanks. Slow and clunky, but steady as a rock. Very workable for me.

And yes...stuck with slow tool changing, but for me in what I do with it? Saving 10 seconds going from T1 to T2 instead of T1 to T11, well, that adds up during the course of all the ops to complete the part. Hence why I changed up my workflow a bit with the entire op in tool number sequence. What I've learned over the many years of using Fadals, is that you have to make do with what ya got...and this is what I got.

Thanks again Warren! I will play with it and post results.

Update on this deal. After playing around with it, I have found a solution. I looked at the alignment of the spindle to the carousel and found that I had to drop the Z (by the resolver) .064" to get the spindle in spec with the carousel (.050"-.060" clearance). Yes...a big 64 thou out of alignment. Amazing it ever worked at all.

Once I did that, smoother than silk tool changes with no wham bam thank ya maam on select tools. It also doesn't exhibit a "pop" when letting go of the tool like it once did on select tools.

Of course, I had to "adjust" all the current fixture coordinates on the Z (because of changing the CS position). No big deal.

I've NEVER looked at the tool changer with any sort of attention at all on this machine...so I guess when all the tools were NOT loaded into the pockets, it exacerbated an already existent issue. Don't know why exactly, but that's what happened.

It also gave me a chance to lube the wheel tracks of the changer as well as check out the belt, its tension, pocket clips, and chip removal. Basically just showed it some love.

Maybe this will help someone. Check that alignment first.

Thanks for letting us all know. It's always a shame to see a question on the forums with no one reporting wether they solved their issues and how they did it.

Thanks for letting us all know. It's always a shame to see a question on the forums with no one reporting wether they solved their issues and how they did it.
    Yessir! I've been down that deadend before. It's like watching a movie without seeing the ending.