584,837 active members*
5,332 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > VFD interface to other equipment.
Page 1 of 7 123

VFD interface to other equipment.

It was suggested that in a recent post I was talking over the heads of most members and guests here, so I thought I would explain a little deeper.
    One of the things that started me thing on this track is the drawing EN-010 that is circulating for the G540 interface to a VFD, it shows a 20AMP relay to interface to a <10Ma input!
    The accompanying JPG shows how to use a BOB etc that uses open collector bi-polar transistor or open drain Mosfet, as is done in the Gecko G540.
    In place of the relay, it just entails a 2 wire connection.
    Many VFD's have the capability of opting for sink or source inputs, the attached jpg shows a Huanyang which comes only sourced output, which requires a sink device such as the Gecko..

Also like many typical circuits that accompany BOB.s etc, the safety circuits leave alot to be desired, when compared to typical industry custom.
    Very rarely is a typical E-Stop string used where the power is dropped to all motorized devices.
    I am aware that most DIY CNC'ers tend not to worry about safety etc, but in the case of the EN-010 example, there is no means of emergency stopping the VFD whatsoever.
    The G540 makes it difficult to remove power as the unit interfaces directly to the PC, so it is necessary for the whole unit to be powered in order for any external E-Stop to register with Mach, in this case.
    Further to the VFD shown, which appears to be a Huanyang, the user manual that came with the Huanyang I have shows the SPDT option relay as wrong, with the FB common and FC N.O. and FA N.C. whereas it is the opposite in fact on the model I received.
    Al..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BOBtoVFD.jpg  
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Re: VFD interface to other equipment.

Al,
    Isnt the G540 GND Pin7 Isolated from G540 GND Pin 12 ? your Dwg suggests they are COM with the VFD DCM

Here is my setup.... still having trouble getting it to work, what Am I doing wrong?

Thx,
    DIY

If you look at the G540 typical hook up you will see a relay coil wired from P5 (output) and the external 12v both are referenced to p12 (GND).
    Connecting the G540 GND to the VFD (DCM) GND allows the 2n7002 fet in the G540 to sink the VFD input to common (GND).
    Basically the VFD input supply has been substituted for the external supply shown in the G540 instructions.
    The +24v positive from the VFD to G540 is not required for this to work, just FOR and DCM (COM) as per DWG..
    The analogue connection from the G540 to VFD has its own separate supply from 10v (VR), V1 (in) and ACM (com)
    The method I show has no reference to the analogue, which is not changed, it refers to the start command input only by substituting the relay..
    Al.

Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by diyhands View Post
    Al,
    Isnt the G540 GND Pin7 Isolated from G540 GND Pin 12 ? your Dwg suggests they are COM with the VFD DCM

Here is my setup.... still having trouble getting it to work, what Am I doing wrong?

Thx,
    DIY
    Did you try it with the Pin 5 of the G540 connected to the FWD VFD terminal, your pin 8 is connected incorrect needs to be VI connection, why did you change it
    Mactec54

Hey Mac,
    Good morning.. sorry I haven't been on in a couple days, things to do....

What I've done:

1. Ran my new IGUS Motion Cable through the flex chain, but have not yet made any terminations as I am still awaiting my connectors. I have disassembled and examined spindle (top part around cooling fan housing/shroud) to locate a good place to attach Earth GND. Found just about only one way to do it.... A bit unconventional but do not see why it shouldn't suffice just fine. When the connectors arrive I am ready to go. BTW..... That IGUS Motion Cable you suggested is SUPER SEXY man.. like it alot!!! Great quality!

2. FINALLY purchased my full license for Version R3.043.062 (suggested by Warp9 "MFG'r of my ESS motion controller") of Mach3...... Did a clean install to get it all back to defaults, then set back up my motor inputs and outputs all without a hitch at all..... learned the Axis auto-CAL. The reason I did the clean install was because I suspected the reason why everytime I loaded a DEMO g-code (i.e. road runner....ect...) it would cut in mm and the DRO's displayed IN was because during initial install and setup I selected mm for "Native UNITS" months ago and have since then decided otherwise and revert without re-installing. So once I did that it all worked fine just like I wanted.

3. Upon clean Install and tuning axis .... I also at that time followed Spindle wiring suggestions you recently made to me on last post. THERE WAS PROGRESS!!!!! THANKS MAC!!! Unfortunately I got no spindle motion.. I did however, see communication between VFD and Mach3 while performing M3 commands in the MDI..... I did not try an M5 yet as now my spindle is slightly apart awaiting my completion of my cable installation work. I would hit M3S24000 and I would see the DRO in Mach3 almost instantaneously jump straight to Max.. This to me was alarming as the Ramp was wayyyyyy to fast... Will look at that one for sure... Also, the display on the VFD would VERY VERY VERY SLOWLY ramp up (the decimal value displayed would ramp up incredibly slowly..... 20.4, 21.2, 22.1, 23, ect.... Took about 3 min. for it to get up to 138.4). Now... nothing is spinning during this observation, but it is a significant bit of progress as now all I need to do is find out why there's talking and no working... must be Mach3 settings, tuning, ect.... as I know the VFD was working perfect during manual operation config. and have not changed from simply switching it from manual to external control Pn-03, Pn-04.

Didn't see the Voltage on G540 Pin5 yet either.. so still doing something wrong there or it just doesn't work like I think about using it to turn on FWD to VFD..... I did however see 1 - 2 Vdc on G540 Pin8 this is also progress thanks to you... just need to figure out now why is so low. I measured 12Vdc between VFD FWD and VFD GND with the MultiMeter.... Forward is pulled high by default on VFD? what is the nominal voltage VFD FWD need to see to go active? I can see now this thing is clearly going to need the relay setup. Just looks like what it's intended for looking at the pin-out DWG provided by the Inverter (VFD). I also picked up some pots just incase. Im thinking either the VFD FWD 12Vdc potential to VFD GND because if there's 12Vdc on it always anyway maybe it needs to see llow condition to go active? Or use the VFD integrated Relay Lk, Lb, Lz to control signal at VFD FWD? I dunno.... will think about this one. But there must be a way to jumper it for now to at least figure out what will need to be done a bit more properly when I get to that point down the road.

How do you control your DIR on your VFD?

4. Beginning Control Box Assy:
    Didn't like the Chinese blue box.... re-doing that mess and rewiring into a nice box with some good cable management and cooling..

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0791KB3TK/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I4SFMASCDVIF0&colid=SJIFJZDO NIJQ&psc=0

5. Shopping for air/mist sys..... have some stuff on Amazon

6. Shopping for good cutters for my ER11 (Will be working with wood, plastics (such as Delrin, Nylon, PVC) and some non-ferrous like 6061, brass, copper)
    - Flat end mills (will likely face and rough with it for now until I outgrow my .8kw and ER11)
    - Ball nose
    - Engraving
    - Chamfer
    Any Good suggestions there? Where do you get your cutters?

Thx,
    -DIY

[COLOR=#000000]

Didn't see the Voltage on G540 Pin5 yet either.. so still doing something wrong there or it just doesn't work like I think about using it to turn on FWD to VFD..... I did however see 1 - 2 Vdc on G540 Pin8 this is also progress thanks to you... just need to figure out now why is so low. I measured 12Vdc between VFD FWD and VFD GND with the MultiMeter.... Forward is pulled high by default on VFD? what is the nominal voltage VFD FWD need to see to go active? I can see now this thing is clearly going to need the relay setup. Just looks like what it's intended for looking at the pin-out DWG provided by the Inverter (VFD). I also picked up some pots just incase. Im thinking either the VFD FWD 12Vdc potential to VFD GND because if there's 12Vdc on it always anyway maybe it needs to see llow condition to go active? Or use the VFD integrated Relay Lk, Lb, Lz to control signal at VFD FWD? I dunno.... will think about this one. But there must be a way to jumper it for now to at least figure out what will need to be done a bit more properly when I get to that point down the road.
    You will not see any voltage on the pin 5 unless connected to a source (VFD IN) It works for me, I do not see any point using an intermediary relay when not needed.!
    Al.

Albert E.

Sorry Mac,
    Yea I tried the Pin5 to enable spindle DIR ...... I couldn't get the signal on the pin with Mach3 settings..

DIY

Sorry Mac,
    Yea I tried the Pin5 to enable spindle DIR ...... I couldn't get the signal on the pin with Mach3 settings..

DIY
    As Al just said there should be no Voltage on Pin 5, Connect Pin 5 to FWD as I said to do before, this should be acting just like an On / Off switch

In motor Tuning Spindle try the sliders both at around half way, save setting try it, and then slide them all the way to the max and save the settings
    Mactec54

i have been pulling my hair out trying to run spindle motor its a 3phase on 220v in mach3 have the geko540 controller and a haunyang vfd running a cnc mill... the guy i bought it from had relays wired in but he cut all wires and said he ran it with no relays just the geko540 and he cant remember how he had it ran.i have a cutter plotter vinyl cutter that was much easier to configure than this ,any help in the correct direction will be much appreciated..

Quote Originally Posted by racetech View Post
    i have been pulling my hair out trying to run spindle motor its a 3phase on 220v in mach3 have the geko540 controller and a haunyang vfd running a cnc mill... the guy i bought it from had relays wired in but he cut all wires and said he ran it with no relays just the geko540 and he cant remember how he had it ran.i have a cutter plotter vinyl cutter that was much easier to configure than this ,any help in the correct direction will be much appreciated..
    What is the name plate spec's on the motor
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Here is pic of tag on motor . I have powered it up manually with the vfd I have all axis x-y-z in Mach working . If I toggle spindle switch it lights up but not motor on it’s got to be something I’m overlooking and what. Confused me is he had it working with no relays . He told me what wires to hook up that he thought were correct but nothing yet .

This is what he sent me not sure where the hook to the geko controller?
    Oh and when I try and run the motor I have minimum rpm at 500 and max at 3500 for pulley 1. When I try to run motor it shows the rpm start then go down to zero with no motor movement at all . In Mach a code shows up pwm brought down to minimum setting.

This is what he sent me not sure where the hook to the geko controller?
    Oh and when I try and run the motor I have minimum rpm at 500 and max at 3500 for pulley 1. When I try to run motor it shows the rpm start then go down to zero with no motor movement at all . In Mach a code shows up pwm brought down to minimum setting.
    Connect to the G540 as per Al's drawing in the first post, this should turn the VFD On / Off No Relay needed if wired like this

Then you need a PWM connection to control the speed, which will be through VI and ACM on the VFD, G540 connection you will take the VFD 10v out to Pin 9 Pin 8 to VI and Pin 7 to ACM

The PWM also has to be setup in Mach3
    Mactec54

something I’m overlooking and what. Confused me is he had it working with no relays . He told me what wires to hook up that he thought were correct but nothing yet .
    The whole purpose of the original post was to show how to hook up to G540 to VFD with no relays!!!
    Also the G540 has an isolated analogue output so half is done already.
    IMO it is far simpler than doing it via relays and not hard to follow.
    As to the motor, hopefully he had it connected in Delta (230v),
    Al.

Albert E.

Hope the DWG is not to fuzzy..... But I think im understanding. Basically P5 connected to FWD will go on or off with mach3 commands as long as we have Mach3 I/O's set up right. Mach must tell G540 when to close the circuit, like an M3.... So Mach3 needs to be told to listen for an M3 to go High or Low with an "Enabled P17 Output" for its P5 counterpart to correspond in kind.....

My brain is digesting this....... hopefully correctly!? lol.... Tell me if im wrong, can you see my fuzzy attachment?

With this config I now see 10Vdc +/- 1 Vdc on P7 of G540, but something is still not right... I really think its my Mach settings as I am becoming more confident in my understanding of the wiring between VFD and G540 for spindle control.

DIY

I am not familiar with those Huanyang control circuit terminals, that shows different than the model I have.
    Al.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hUANYANGterm.jpg  

Albert E.

Connect to the G540 as per Al's drawing in the first post, this should turn the VFD On / Off No Relay needed if wired like this

Then you need a PWM connection to control the speed, which will be through VI and ACM on the VFD, G540 connection you will take the VFD 10v out to Pin 9 Pin 8 to VI and Pin 7 to ACM

The PWM also has to be setup in Mach3
    Should I disable relays in spindle set up ?

Should I disable relays in spindle set up ?
    If you don't need the use of output #1 in Ports and pins then yes it can be disabled
    Mactec54

Hope the DWG is not to fuzzy..... But I think im understanding. Basically P5 connected to FWD will go on or off with mach3 commands as long as we have Mach3 I/O's set up right. Mach must tell G540 when to close the circuit, like an M3.... So Mach3 needs to be told to listen for an M3 to go High or Low with an "Enabled P17 Output" for its P5 counterpart to correspond in kind.....

My brain is digesting this....... hopefully correctly!? lol.... Tell me if im wrong, can you see my fuzzy attachment?

With this config I now see 10Vdc +/- 1 Vdc on P7 of G540, but something is still not right... I really think its my Mach settings as I am becoming more confident in my understanding of the wiring between VFD and G540 for spindle control.

DIY
    There is no excuse for not get it going through Mach, you have a meter just separate each section check the Mach3 output, then check the ESS output then check the G540, you will soon know where the problem is

What I think you should do, is get mach3 working just with the G540 you can test the outputs with your meter, when everything is working, than add the Ess after,

I think your best control for you will be with the 5v, as I suggested before, this will depend if the G540 can handle the 0-5v
    Mactec54

If you don't need the use of output #1 in Ports and pins then yes it can be disabled
    Ok here’s what I got as far as hooked up from geko to vfd . They way it is I got motor to power up changed setting in vfd for it to happen pd001 set to 1 and pd002 set to 0 and motor came on threw Mach 3 but at only one speed nothing would change . It would toggle on and off no problems. But when I shut off the geko the motor came back on . If I changed settings on vfd on the pd001 and pd002 it will not turn on in Mach3 . Getting closer just not good with this wiring. See attached pic of how I have it wired .

Page 1 of 7 123