584,817 active members*
4,601 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 4 of 5 2345

Re: COVID 19 VENTILATORS ARE EVERYWHERE

Quote Originally Posted by taxslave View Post
    Again, more of the same. I realized on the weekend I was in the wrong place trying to discuss writing underlying programs in CNC equipment to general operators. I've since moved on to discussions with a group that write software for various functions including robotics. A lot of ideas on the many ways this could easily function are a result. Thank you for trying though. My mistake. Simply the wrong place for this discussion.
    I don't think that anyone here said it's impossible to use a CNC controller/machine/robot to perform a repetitive task such as operating a bellows, of course that is possible. We are arguing is that it is not practical. Not to mention moving a CNC machine to the victim or vice-versa would be a logistical nightmare.

On the low end, the hobby class Windows based systems are for the most part very limited in functionality but still could provide rudimentary operation. While somewhat flexible in the programming depending on the system, the hardware just doesn't have the capability of sophisticated operations outside of the design parameters.

The high end CNC machines have software and controllers that are pretty much locked down, not re-programmable at the user level, and will only provide the functionality that is factory programmed in, but still could be used to perform a repetitive task by using a loop in the G code.

Both of the above could be used to operate something similar to a hand operated bagging system, but that is about the limitation of their capabilities, not because they are a bad system, but rather they were designed for a specific task that they do very well and don't lend themselves to much adaptability.

There is another class of controllers that are programmable, and most can be programmed with a Windows (or Linux) based computer. I'm not going to try to list all of the available controllers here, but I think most of us know what is available. Suffice it to say that they range from Arduino and similar devices, to industrial controllers. These are designed to be user programmed to perform any task required, depending on the capabilities of the specific device.

I'm not even going to try to address the electromechanical hardware requirements for such a system.

The better use of our machines is to support the proven systems that are already in place.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Lots of negatives Jim. I think what would work the best would to become a Doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by acra2100 View Post
    Hi, I'm retired now but if I recall we had some similar machinery. I've always loved that handle, aren't we all. I usually read through this forum every month or so to see whats happening, Anyways, I saw your name and read through all the comments, It appears you were in the wrong place for the science. People trying to change your narrative from an emergency situation to a medically approved device didn't help the conversation. I come with good news. My grandson is presently enrolled in a robotics class. Entry level, His teacher was inspired by a story out of China where a 15 year old kid saved his neighbors life. No respirators were available and his neighbors were hand bagging their mother. Evidently the kid was into robotics and had a kit he built a robotic arm from, This kid modified the arm to push the bag and programmed it to push the way it had to. He saved a life. My grandsons teacher has a group of students making this same device as a project to learn from. Great teacher! Anyhow, long story short, you aren't the only one with this brilliant idea. Search homemade respirators on youtube. My grandson showed me many are actually doing what you suggested though they don't have the luxury you have in a cnc mill ready to program to push a bag. My grandson was very interested because he used to help me in my shop and loves machinery, smart kid, he chimed in they should set up portable hospitals beside industrial plants, they could run airlines, you could put more than one bag on a mill table he says. Anyhow, you have a couple fans here. There are only leaders or followers taxslave, you're not a follower. Great innovation!
    Would you please ask your grandson to ask his teacher if the bagging was performed through a mask or did they modify to an actual tracheal tube.? I've been in contact with a few people working on this and they say many different home made units are coming to light out of China. I'm thinking the tracheal tube would be the way to go. They didn't have enough ventilators but I'm sure they would have a lot of the proper tubes. The stories I'm hearing from the people I'm working with in regards to what the people in China were going through without enough supplies are absolutely bizarre to say the least. Theres going to be years of documentarys ahead of us. At least we had some warning to prepare.

Lots of negatives Jim. I think what would work the best would to become a Doctor.
    Go for it, you may then have a better understanding of what is needed

I suggest you talk to a shrink
    Mactec54

Sorry, the negativity is off the rails big time. Even after we know simple bagging saved lives. All the best, We will make it through this.

Quote Originally Posted by HCE View Post
    Great attitudes can't, can't, can't.
    Same attitudes I see with printed face masks when the machinist community gets involved. Not FDA approved, won't pass fit test....
    Seems like a group a fools that would die because the 19mm wrench is missing as your tripping over 3/4's.
    I wish I could find the janky contraption MIT is experimenting, a cable attached to a stepper motor shaft acting as a cable drum. The other end of cable attached to a paddle squeezing a ventilator bag.
    Sure there not cnc controlled but many cnc like materials in there build.
    Check out this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McnqZXRVdxY

I hear you, I'm beginning to wonder if there was another book out my parents missed "The little engine that couldn't".
    A great video link. The Rice University is an intelligent bunch. It goes without saying that innovators like ourselves wouldn't want to see this contraption wheeled into our hospital room if a regular ventilator was available but if they wheeled it in and told us nothing else was available and it was our only chance to possibly survive, we'd welcome it. A point being blatantly ignored in this conversation by many. Like we need to be informed a proper ventilator would be best, lol. You've a great attitude, keep it up.

I've got dozens of motors drivers rail screws etc sitting on my stock shelves . With a badder in my hands I could build one of those contraptions in a evening
    this thread is over a week old . How far have you gotten besides talk .

If you were to watch the educational video about using a bagger, you'd likely learn to attach an oxygen bottle to the factory supplied oxygen bottle attachment available on every medical bagger wouldn't you, or am I missing something? Oxygen bottles are readily available many places. Even oxygen generators like the ones you see on carts people wheel around with them. I am literally blown away you've been arguing for days without knowing this. They work on "non critical" without the bottle.

really !
    Its not as easy as connecting an o2 tank and opening a valve
    how are you going to regulated the blood oxygen levels . Not everyone is going to need the exact same level of oxygen , and you'd likely face doing more damage than good

I'm glad that I'm not living in some 3rd world country hoping for a homemade ventilator , because I'd likely die for sure . I'll rely on the medical profession that my tax dollar pays for , and not some basement monkey

Quote Originally Posted by metalmayhem View Post
    really !
    Its not as easy as connecting an o2 tank and opening a valve
    how are you going to regulated the blood oxygen levels . Not everyone is going to need the exact same level of oxygen , and you'd likely face doing more damage than good

I'm glad that I'm not living in some 3rd world country hoping for a homemade ventilator , because I'd likely die for sure . I'll rely on the medical profession that my tax dollar pays for , and not some basement monkey
    Theres this really cool invention called a regulator, reg-u-la-tor. You turn this little round thingy to adjust the oxygen level to the size of the patient according to instructions (those pesky things you've yet to bother yourself with). Then you'll see something really weird(unless you know whats going on as a result of reading instructions). ........Keep digging.

Quote Originally Posted by burs View Post
    Do you already know this challenge? I was wondering if it could be of interest to you!?

https://www.coventchallenge.com/

Thank you for this information, wouldn't of ever seen it otherwise.

Theres this really cool invention called a regulator, reg-u-la-tor. You turn this little round thingy to adjust the oxygen level to the size of the patient according to instructions (those pesky things you've yet to bother yourself with). Then you'll see something really weird(unless you know whats going on as a result of reading instructions). ........Keep digging.
    Reg-u-la-tor eh ?
    by weight is likely irrelevant since we are talking about damaged lungs , the more damage there is the less oxygen is being absorbed . The blood levels will need to be monitored and reg-u-la-ted as i pointed out . Air flow means nothing if the body is not getting the appropriate levels of oxygen . Breath into a balloon if you don't understand the concept

Reg-u-la-tor eh ?
    by weight is likely irrelevant since we are talking about damaged lungs , the more damage there is the less oxygen is being absorbed . The blood levels will need to be reg-u-la-ted as i pointed out . Air flow means nothing if the body is not getting the appropriate levels of oxygen
    By weight duh would indeed be incorrect. Thats why I said size, its what those pesky instructions want Dr. M, those darn instructions have even more stuff to watch for. ..............again, the reason for the oxygen bottle, cmon.

size weight whatever . What do the instructions says if there is 15% lung damage , 45% and so on . Thats if you have a proper diagnostics of how much damage there is .
    How will you know whether or not the patient will have the proper amount of oxygen .
    And before you chose to give a bs sideways reply , answer the question

btw you didn't answer my other question . how far have you got on your contraption . I can make one in an evening . You've been beaking off for a week . What do you have other than words

size weight whatever . What do the instructions says if there is 15% lung damage , 45% and so on . Thats if you have a proper diagnostics of how much damage there is .
    Why don't you go educate yourself about this topic like you should have last week before you started your tutorial? All the answers are in the instructions, they tell you what to watch for. They're certainly not going to advise you blow them up like a "balloon" do you think?
    '

Sorry, the negativity is off the rails big time. Even after we know simple bagging saved lives. All the best, We will make it through this.
    Here is a video for you, you may just get a better understanding to what is needed, to ventilate a patient, so if you see by this your CNC machine is doing it's normal job of making parts and the Ventilator is doing it's job, there is no relationship between the too pieces of equipment, this video even though it is a basic explanation that even you should be able to understand

Mactec54

seems to be a common theme with your answers . Nothing of substance !

I can go online and find all sorts of instructions for various brands and models of ventilators . We're not talking about professional ventilators , we are talking about a diy air pushing devise that is supposed to be life saving
    You seem to have yourself convinced that you have all the answers but you really haven't made much attempt to convince anyone here that you can create a life saving devise .

I can be a reasonable man and admit I'm wrong if proven to be wrong . So far you've done nothing to prove anyone wrong . If anyone disagrees with you then you insult their intelligence rather than attempt to show some proof that your idea would work .
    Like i said , you've been rambling for over a week , people are dying , so what have you done other than talk

You should send this to the kid in China that saved his neighbors life with his contraption when nothing else was available.
    Thanks for more of the same though. You're going through a lot of work I see. Its a good thing you sent me this.

Wink Re: COVID 19 VENTILATORS ARE EVERYWHERE

seems to be a common theme with your answers . Nothing of substance !

I can go online and find all sorts of instructions for various brands and models of ventilators . We're not talking about professional ventilators , we are talking about a diy air pushing devise that is supposed to be life saving
    You seem to have yourself convinced that you have all the answers but you really haven't made much attempt to convince anyone here that you can create a life saving devise .

I can be a reasonable man and admit I'm wrong if proven to be wrong . So far you've done nothing to prove anyone wrong . If anyone disagrees with you then you insult their intelligence rather than attempt to show some proof that your idea would work .
    Like i said , you've been rambling for over a week , people are dying , so what have you done other than talk
    You can't see past your trampled ego that thought we were talking about pushing a balloon, Yet you argued and argued knowing nothing of bagging. For almost a week, lol. Read over all your squirming a few times, very very funny. All while people are dying. The negativity here is off the charts. I'm having a much better time working with people that want to input with a similar goal. You just want to scrap. Read your posts, your not very good at scrapping either. Pitiful actually.

I found many are using a modified tracheal tube because mask sealing was giving problems so don't worry about getting back to me. The negativity in here with this group is extremely non productive. The only thing that can work here is a bona fide respirator system. lol I'm off , thanks. Take care.

Page 4 of 5 2345