584,812 active members*
5,422 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 30 of 41 20282930313240

Question SEEKING HELP

Hi folks
    I have built a division controller using a board copied from a post (#346) by Lucas. To my dismay it did not work. I checked the board against V2.0 of the circuit diagram and it seems fine.
    I don’t have a display at all. I used a 60 ohm resistor to supply pin 15 of the LCD.
    I checked the points listed in the build manual and the only problem seems to be that of configuration bits not being the same.

My display obtained from RS is a Displaytech 204a which doesn’t claim to be HD44780
    Compatible, the connections appear to be the same though?

I used a Picstart Plus to Program the pic with version 2.12 I noticed that the configuration bits were not the same as Steve posted in post #23.

Please help it would be simple if the display is incompatible or my attempt at programming the chip is wrong, I haven’t done this for years and am very rusty with the picstart!

Quote Originally Posted by allanwinks View Post
    Hi folks
    I checked the points listed in the build manual and the only problem seems to be that of configuration bits not being the same.

I used a Picstart Plus to Program the pic with version 2.12 I noticed that the configuration bits were not the same as Steve posted in post #23.
    Well, I'm no expert on PIC programming, Kwackers' project being the first occasion I've used a PIC processor (I've some past experience with burning old-style EPROMs and EEPROMs). I used a bog standard JDM serial programmer for this project.

The thing is, the 'configuration bits' don't come pre-set within the firmware file posted by Kwackers. They first have to be set by the programming software you use to execute the burn. If you didn't do this explicitly, the values you saw following your first burn are probably the defaults applied by the software — which as you've found are wrong.

Suggest you:

1. Blank the chip.
    2. Load the firmware file.
    3. Call up your software's configuration dialog and set the hex values for the relevant addresses as per those shown in Kwackers' configuration pic.
    4. Execute the burn.

This should put the PIC in the correct state for successful operation. BUT you might want to wait for someone more hardware-savvy to comment on the implications of using the display you've selected.

Joe

Lucas pcb design

Quote Originally Posted by lucas View Post
    There's a picture of my assembled board in this post:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/895325-post350.html
    Hi Lucas,

I am hoping to build the indexer and was looking to use your pcb design as I normally make PCBs by the toner transfer method and your design seems more suited to that. However I can't access the pdf of the PCB shown in post 346, I just get redirected back to that post. Is there a problem, or is the pdf available elsewhere?

Thanks for any help,
    Best regards

Terry

Just tried it here, works fine but I also had funny things with this site and some browsers.

Can you try this: rightclick on the link and then use "save target as".

Quote Originally Posted by lucas View Post
    Just tried it here, works fine but I also had funny things with this site and some browsers.

Can you try this: rightclick on the link and then use "save target as".
    Hi Lucas,

Thanks for that, problem now solved,

Best regards

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by joegib View Post
    Well, I'm no expert on PIC programming, Kwackers' project being the first occasion I've used a PIC processor (I've some past experience with burning old-style EPROMs and EEPROMs). I used a bog standard JDM serial programmer for this project.

The thing is, the 'configuration bits' don't come pre-set within the firmware file posted by Kwackers. They first have to be set by the programming software you use to execute the burn. If you didn't do this explicitly, the values you saw following your first burn are probably the defaults applied by the software — which as you've found are wrong.

Suggest you:

1. Blank the chip.
    2. Load the firmware file.
    3. Call up your software's configuration dialog and set the hex values for the relevant addresses as per those shown in Kwackers' configuration pic.
    4. Execute the burn.

This should put the PIC in the correct state for successful operation. BUT you might want to wait for someone more hardware-savvy to comment on the implications of using the display you've selected.

Joe
    Thanks for your reply Joe.
    I reprogramed the chip making sure all the config bits were off, It still didnt work!
    The fault was the trimmer i used for the contrast setting. it is a multi turn type and i had not turned it enough to see the text on the LCD!
    So now it sort of works. The keypad buttons are not correct and are currently driving me nuts argh!!!!!!!!!!

Red face Nearly sorted

Thanks for your reply Joe.
    I reprogramed the chip making sure all the config bits were off, It still didnt work!
    The fault was the trimmer i used for the contrast setting. it is a multi turn type and i had not turned it enough to see the text on the LCD!
    So now it sort of works. The keypad buttons are not correct and are currently driving me nuts argh!!!!!!!!!!

Unhappy getting closer

:banana:I solved my keypad problem by reversing four of the connections :banana:

I connected my stepper driver ( A bipolar 1x297805 PMinMO) to check for signs of life at the stepper motor. Whenever I press the direction keys I get a "locked" message on the display.
    I had read in previous posts of pins 7&8 needing to be at either a high/low logic state, on checking I found they were both high.
    I connected both limit 1&2 to ground and then checked pins 7&8 they are now low. This made no difference to the “locked” message.
    Please help I am losing the will to live.

:banana:I solved my keypad problem by reversing four of the connections :banana:

I connected my stepper driver ( A bipolar 1x297805 PMinMO) to check for signs of life at the stepper motor. Whenever I press the direction keys I get a "locked" message on the display.
    I had read in previous posts of pins 7&8 needing to be at either a high/low logic state, on checking I found they were both high.
    I connected both limit 1&2 to ground and then checked pins 7&8 they are now low. This made no difference to the “locked” message.
    Please help I am losing the will to live.
    Are you absolutely sure you used the right pic with the right file? Sounds like a problem I had when I built mine and discovered I programmed the newer pic with the older (and incompatible) firmware

Correct PIC?

Hi Marty

Thanks for your quick response.:cheers:

The chip I used is a PIC18F4525-I/P and I programed it with V2.11 and then V2.12, do you see any issues here?

Allan

Hi Marty

Thanks for your quick response.:cheers:

The chip I used is a PIC18F4525-I/P and I programed it with V2.11 and then V2.12, do you see any issues here?

Allan
    I can't remember its been awhile. Do a search of this thread with my username. You have to be sure you match the pic.and firmware. I accidentally ordered the newer PIC and loaded the original firmware. It takes the firmware ok. Even appears to work and you get the error. I think you may have done the same thing I did. A friend of mine modified the code to work on the newer chip. I think Steve posted it here too. You'll have to.do some leg work in this thread to double check.

Allan
    Allan,

Are you sure you've quoted the type number correctly? This project is designed for the 18F452 or the 18F4520. The 18F4525 appears to have significantly different specs e.g 48K program memory as against 32K for the specified chips.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by joegib View Post
    Allan,

Are you sure you've quoted the type number correctly? This project is designed for the 18F452 or the 18F4520. The 18F4525 appears to have significantly different specs e.g 48K program memory as against 32K for the specified chips.

Joe
    Thanks Joe:banana:
    I dont know how i added the extra 5 to the 18f452, perhaps its the bang on the head i suffered recently(chair)(chair)
    I have just ordered some 18f4520 pics to try, should have better luck with them.

Allan

Sounds like your problem is solved. :-). Gotta make sure you match the program to the specified chip.

Hi Lucas,

I have now almost completed the pcb based on your design - I just need a sounder, cap and PIC to complete (they are on order). I have also made a keypad based on Khalid's design I am just wondering what the connections would be to your board? I have checked the connections to the keypad and know the matrix connections but am unsure of how they will connect to the main pcb. Have you any advice on this?

Best regards
    Terry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2124.jpg  

Hi All,

Sorry to be a pain, but I know little about stepper motors, can anyone advise about this driver board on eBay. It is reasonable cheap and I am on a tight budget. Would it be ok for experimenting with small stepper motors or should I avoid like the plague?

On anoother note, I have redrawn Steve's final pcb to make the tracks and gaps a bit wider making it more suitable for toner transfer method (I thought that I should contribute something to the thread as there is so much help here). I have made a board using this with photo paper for the toner transfer, I then etched it in fresh ferric chloride solution and it came out pretty well - see thumbnail below. If anyone is interested I will publish the pdf which prints accurately the ic holder drops in nicely, however it needs verifiying, I have double checked it against Steve's design and it seems ok, but I would like it to be checked by others just in case I have made an error - I would hate it to be used without verification. So please could the members have a look and compare it with Steve's final design and let me have comments,

Let me know if you're interested,

Thanks and Best regards

Terry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2118.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by terryd15 View Post
    Sorry to be a pain, but I know little about stepper motors, can anyone advise about this driver board on eBay. It is reasonable cheap and I am on a tight budget. Would it be ok for experimenting with small stepper motors or should I avoid like the plague?
    Can you be more specific about what you mean by "experimenting with small stepper motors"?

The board to which you linked is a dual H-bridge which is suitable for driving two small DC brushed motors or a single stepper motor, but it does not contain the onboard logic to control the stepper motor coil energization sequence, so that logic must be provided by something else. What kind of "something else" did you have in mind?

Quote Originally Posted by terryd15 View Post
    Hi Lucas,

I have now almost completed the pcb based on your design - I just need a sounder, cap and PIC to complete (they are on order). I have also made a keypad based on Khalid's design I am just wondering what the connections would be to your board? I have checked the connections to the keypad and know the matrix connections but am unsure of how they will connect to the main pcb. Have you any advice on this?

Best regards
    Terry
    The row and colums are indicated on Steve's schematic, the sequence is the same on my PCB.
    Viewed from componentside and left to right:
    R4 R3 R2 R1 C4 C3 C2 C1

These are very good DIY stepper drives:

http://users.skynet.be/ldt/CNC%20ele...THB6064AH.html :cheers:

Hello Lucas, Kwackers and Jhovel,

I have been a member on this forum for a little while. Most of the stuff done on this forum is way over my head (I'm still learning the art of turning and milling - no cnc stuff, yet) BUT I was refered to this thread by Jhovel (Thanks Joe)

First of all a big thankyou to Kwackers for sharing your project, hard work and precious time. As can be seen from the thread, many people have benefited from this project.

Also thankyou to Lucas for the modifications and making it a little easier for novice PCB makers like myself. I have used the press & peel method a number of times on other projects and have struggled to get reliable track widths less than about 30mil. Maybe it's my iron settings?

If I could ask a couple of questions:

To Lucas, I have a query about Q3, the transistor for the sounder. I note that you have it orientated flat side facing the 7805. This places the NPN emitter pin to the +5V rail. Is this correct?

To Kwackers: Looking at your schematic, the pin allocations for the keypad has me confused. The schematic at post No. 35 has different pin allocations to the diagram on post No. 33.

For example Post No.33 shows that connecting pins 22 & 27 yields (1) but post No. 35 shows its pins 30 & 19 to get (1)

To both Steve and Lucas, I'm not suggesting you guys have made a mistake, it's more about me trying to understand what I have done wrong!

I've been putting this project together slowly on the side for the last month (just a bit at a time) and it's nearly crunch time. Can't wait to see it come to life!

Thankyou guys so much for your help.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
    Can you be more specific about what you mean by "experimenting with small stepper motors"?

The board to which you linked is a dual H-bridge which is suitable for driving two small DC brushed motors or a single stepper motor, but it does not contain the onboard logic to control the stepper motor coil energization sequence, so that logic must be provided by something else. What kind of "something else" did you have in mind?
    Hi dk,

I intend to use it with the rotary table indexer described on this thread and the experimenting I referred to will be in the program of the indexer, if as you say the board will drive a stepper it should be ok then as the indexer provides the logic?

Regards,

Terry

Page 30 of 41 20282930313240