584,829 active members*
4,812 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > Waterjet General Topics > Hypertherm Sensor PHC Torch Height Control
Page 2 of 3 123
    Quote Originally Posted by J D Redneck View Post
    A friend just bought a table from PCS & had nothing but trouble with it.
    Seems that they have modified the THC and other circuts as well as the Mach3 software.
    When trying to do a cut, the height controller doesn't seem to work properly.
    We can't seem to get a good consistant pierce height or a good cut height.
    When following the pattern the torch will be anywhere from full height to diving into the material. Sometimes it finds the right height and makes a cut, but not often.
    We are slowly getting it to cut something, but trying to get help from these people is hard. Tech assistance is on specific days during specific hours & if you can't schedule it on their time, you are on your own.
    If you have any luck with the height contoller, please let me know so I can get this one working properly.

Happy Trails.....
    where abouts are you located?

The table is located in Beaumont, AB.
    We managed to get them to come in on Saturday and go through some problems we were having ( I videoed the session ), but although we got it to finally make a full cut, the height control still is not working properly.
    Seems that I was using the wrong software also. I had upgraded from Artsoft, and it seems that they have modified the Mach3 so that I needed to use the one they provide and any upgrades must come from their site.

Happy Trails.....

I, Got my table up and cutting pretty well, I was cutting in a couple hours,didn't take any of there training, Started out not that great but once i got going everything is working now... I switched to sheetcam and that made a big difference, Lazy Cam Sucks Big Time . I did call Tech a few times getting though is hit and miss, I would sure like to get a copy of your training session, if I could that would be Great! If you have any Question PM me maybe I could Help , By the way which table did you buy! Thanks Dennis

Although we are both welders, Len is more familiar with plasma then me & I am more familiar with computers & graphics.
    Neither of us are that familiar with CNC.
    The first couple cuts were ok, but we seem to always have had problems with the height control.
    When we went to the fine cut things got worse. Seems we got the consumables.
    When I went to Artsoft for an upgrade, nothing seem to work right.
    Are U using their Mach3 with the sheetcam?
    We weren't too interested in giving them more money for the 'better' software that included nesting.
    We are also seriously considering buying the proper torch controller from Hypertherm & getting rid of the homemade thing they gave us.
    We have the Easy Loader Blue Series in 4x4.
    I am sure that I can make the video available to you. It is not great as I am not really good with the camera yet. I am making a DVD to keep at the shop. I can make u a copy also.

Happy Trails.....

Talking

Well we have the same table, I had the same problem with mine when I first started cutting, the torch would dive into the plate or it seems like it isn't working... It is all just a matter of getting the right settings... Open up the Height Control and check the dip switches, also make sure Pierce Delay is set at Zero on the height control , use Mach 3 to set Peice Delay for 1/4 plate I am using about 3.2 sec. I set the Rotary dial for piecre height at 4... Make sure all three switches are in the up position, also when you trigger the first switch for plate sensing to set pierce height make sure you push it up twice , they never told me this when i bought so it took awhile to figure that one out! I am using the software {MACH3}off there website it is set up for there Cutter... I didn't like lazycam so I got Sheetcam $150 well worth it.... For what they charge for there tables you would think they would have better software included.. If you need anymore info PM me your phone # and give you a call... Also I see in your profile you are from Edmonton , I was there this weekend , took the wife and kids to West Edmonton Mall , that place is a blast!!

Pics of Some Cuts

Here Is some things I cut!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DCP_1534.jpg   Picture 080.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by J D Redneck View Post
    Although we are both welders, Len is more familiar with plasma then me & I am more familiar with computers & graphics.
    Neither of us are that familiar with CNC.
    The first couple cuts were ok, but we seem to always have had problems with the height control.
    When we went to the fine cut things got worse. Seems we got the consumables.
    When I went to Artsoft for an upgrade, nothing seem to work right.
    Are U using their Mach3 with the sheetcam?
    We weren't too interested in giving them more money for the 'better' software that included nesting.
    We are also seriously considering buying the proper torch controller from Hypertherm & getting rid of the homemade thing they gave us.
    We have the Easy Loader Blue Series in 4x4.
    I am sure that I can make the video available to you. It is not great as I am not really good with the camera yet. I am making a DVD to keep at the shop. I can make u a copy also.

Happy Trails.....
    I think you need İnitial Height Sensor. Please visit www.agelkom.com.tr.
    Capacitive Sensor Cap01 is low cost and very easy to use. It can be used with THC.

Best,
    Argun Gucdemir

If issues with height control seem to be the problem....such as the torch diving into the plate...or the torch rising too high from the plate...here are a few simple rules about arc voltage based torch height control that are important to remember:

An arc voltage based height control measures the DC voltage between the electrode in your plasma torch....and the plate you are cutting. The electrode is negative, the plate being positive. It is actually measuring the drop in voltage that is created by the resistance of the plasma arc.

As the arc gets longer (this happens when the torch is physically moved further from the plate, or when there is warpage in the plate that moves the plate away from the torch), the resistance of the arc decreases, and the arc voltage increases. Conversely, when the arc gets shorter, the voltage decreases.

The arc voltage height control has a voltage setting that is preset by the machine operator. This voltage is the reference voltage or the ideal voltage that the height control will try to achieve. If, for example, the operator sets 105 volts on the height control...then starts the plasma torch....and the actual voltage that the THC measures between the electrode and plate is 120 volts....then the THC sends a signal to the z axis drive motor to move the torch closer to the plate...when the desired voltage of 105 volts is achieved...the movement stops.

So, the arc voltage based height control compares the desired, operator set arc voltage to the actual arc voltage...and adjusts the length of the arc by physically driving the torch closer or further from the plate to make these voltages match.

What can go wrong?

1. If the cutting speed is reduced, the plasma torch burns a wider kerf....effectively making the plasma arc reach further for the plate....increasing the arc voltage....which makes the torch move closer to the plate. If the operator chooses to cut slower that recommended speeds...then the arc voltage must be increased to maintain the proper torch to plate distance.
    2. When the cutting machine de-accelerates for sharp corners or small features when cutting.....this is the same as the reduced speed situation listed above.....the torch will dive. Many plasma machine controllers have a THC disable function that "freezes" the torch height when the machine speed slows down to a certain percentage below the programmed speed....a good rule of thumb is that when the cut speed is less than 80% of the programmed speed...the height control should freeze.
    3. If the control on your machine does not have the THC disable function....then be sure that you have your accelleration rates set at the maximum possible speed to minimize corner diving...maximum acceleration will helpo the machine get in and out of corners quickly, minimizing diving.
    4. If parts are nested too closely, or you are cutting right on the edge of the plate...the arc voltage will be too high and the torch will dive.
    5. A poor work cable (some call it ground clamp) connection between the plasma and the plate will cause the torch to dive. Dirty, oxidized slats, loose connections, smapp pieces of plate (that don't make a good connection) will all cause this issue. You can connect the work clamp directly to the plate to be sure you have a good connection.
    6. Moisture or other contamination in your air supply will cause height to fluctuate...as this changes the resistance of the arc.
    7. Raising and lowering the air pressure during the cut will cause the height to fluctuate.
    8. As the electrode and nozzle wear...expect the torch to get closer to the plate. It is normal to have to run a higher arc voltage with used consumables as compared to new ones.

It is most important that the torch to work distance is maintained....so during the first cut on a given material, adjust the arc voltage on the THC until the height is correct (according to the plasma manufacturers specs). If you follow the above guidelines and always do things the same on each type and thickness of material....then the arc voltage height control will be a very repeatable process for you. If you change any cut parameters...expect the height to change!

Industrial quality (read "expensive") cnc plasma machines use very accurate arc voltage height controls that can maintain torch to plate distances to withing (+-) .004" of the recommended height.

best regards, Jim Colt

Hypertherm

There is an OHMIC sensor on the machine, but it doesn't seem to be working.
    The company modified the Hypertherm unit which makes it hard to use Hypertherms tech support & PCS's tech support isn't very good.

Ohmic contact is used primarily for initial height sensing (IHS). IHS is used for finding the surface of the plate before the arc fires....so the the THC can retarct the torch to the proper pierce height (as recommended by the plasma manufacturer).

Ohmic contact is usually acheived bu using the ohmic contact retaining cap on the torch, which allows a wire to connect....which makes contact with the shield on the front of the torch. When the shield contacts the plate the connection is sensed through the THC....which should then start retracting the torch to the pierce height. Once this height is reached then the torch should fire....and arc voltage control will then take over controlling the height (see my previous post).

Some THC systems also use this ohmic contact function as a collisions sensor. In this case, if the shield of the torch contacts the plate during steady state cutting....the torch will rise rapidly to 1/2 the pierce height...then will reactivate the arc voltage control after a few seconds. This is a great function that minimizes torch crashes that cab disrupt a cut. It is available on many industrial grade THC systems.

Jim Colt

Hypertherm

The table that we have is equiped with a Hypertherm Sensor PHC unit, but only the control box. The rest of the system is made by PCS.
    We were told to set the IHS button @ 4-5. Then the IHS test switch was to be pushed down once to locate the plate & set the initial height. Then to push the switch up once. ( Pure-Powder said that this should be pushed up twice.) Since we reloaded the machine with the modified version of Mach3/Lazycam that PCS has modified, we were able to get some cuts from the machine, but any variations in the material causes problems. Cutting 1/4" material clamped to be relativly flat seems to work, but left unclamped, the slight bow upwards caused the torch to run into the material. We were led to beleive that the torch would follow the contour of the material, but we haven't achieved that yet.

Happy Trails.....

So the z axis motor is not from Hypertherm? Can you send me pictures of the control box and the z axis lifter? send them to [email protected]

The sensor is a good quality industrial THC...with full ohmic contact functions. I suspect there could be either an interface issue....or the cnc is not activating the arc voltage control as it should. During cutting you should try turning the arc voltage knob....when you increase the voltage...the torch will rise, decrease and it will lower.

Jim

Have you checked to see the Dip Switches in the Height Control are set to the right positions page 36 of your manual, when I recieved my machine they where not! All so check that the Plasma interface is wired correctly! Here Is a phone# you can Call this fellow is in Alberta and works for Hypertherm, he help me out! his name is Vince 1-403-461-3717

Thanks Pure-Powder, I think I checked those, but I will recheck.

Jim, I thought I had some pics of the unit, but the ones I have are not good. I will go to the machine later today for pics. I will send them this evening. I will also doulble check my proceedures keeping in mind the earlier posts with tips.

Happy Trails.....

Any luck with your plasma table yet...

Haven't had time to go play with it yet. Maybe this weekend.

Happy Trails.....

Any new luck with this machine? I was looking into getting one? Have all the bugs been worked out?

I would not recommend buying a machine from 'Precision Cutting Systems Inc.' in Calgary.
    They have not been helpful in trying to solve our problems.
    The Height Controller still does not work properly, & they will not come to find out what the problem is. They sent a Hypertherm rep once, but the system is not fully Hypertherm.
    They have modified the system to use their own lifting assembly.
    They also have modified the software, which is a pain to use sometimes, & say that if you use another software the warrenty will be void.
    When we ordered the machine, a couple of items were mentioned that we wanted, but she didn't make note of them. When we got the unit, she refused to acknowledge that we had ordered them.
    When we picked up the machine they were still building it, after about 3 months waiting for it ( aprox time frame ), then we took it, unaware at the time that the unit had not been tested at all. They said that everything worked fine. The support is non existant to being stupid. When a call was placed, ( support is on specific days @ specific times which may not coincide with your schedule ) and a question was asked, everytime she would answer with the same question: "Is the machine grounded?" We have sufficient grounding, but she still insisted on asking the same question everytime.
    Sorry for the ramble, but stay away from these people!!
    There are other companies that will probably give you a better product.
    Good Luck

Happy Trails.....

Can find edit, where is delete?

Greetings,
    I just purchased a PCS 4'x4' plasma from a frustrated customer who was in the same situation you were in. After no support 'forever' they finally gave up on the machine last month and I got it approximately for the price of scrap metal. I am in the process of rebuilding the machine. I felt sorry for them as the machine only had maybe 20 cutting hours...well kinda cutting hours as it never worked as advertised.

Today, I am almost convinced myself to purchase the entire Hypertherm PHC. The original z axis (DC controlled) is almost an entire joke. Therefore, purchasing the Hypertherm PHC will save building a z axis, stepper motor, and stepper driver. Also free tech support from Hypertherm.

I started to type a list of issues with the table that I am correcting, but the list started to exceed what I wanted to type. Needless to say, if you contact me offline I will share my upgrades with you and possibly help getting your machine working reliable.

Regards,
    Dennis

Page 2 of 3 123