584,808 active members*
4,973 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 13 12311

Help with Novusun NVEM control card

Hi all its been quite a few years and cnc builds since if been on the forum .I have in a folly purchased a motion control board to try (Novusun NVEM control card )instead of my usual ESS it is -

CNC 200kHz Ethernet MACH3 Card Breakout Interface Board Motor Motion Controller | eBay

I thought it looked easy to set up and install but unfortunately it is proving to be difficult and im hoping someone out there has some information that can help
    I contacted the seller at first and they have sent me a manual and a plugin for Mach 3 that I have dropped into the plugin folder
    when I start mach3 it asks if I would like to use the novusun plugin and I check the box but it will not jog, I have gone though the set up in the manual, the only thing that I cannot understand is it asks to have to PI changed in the PC if I use a network cable which I am using. What is PI? I assumed it meant IP but where would I put it and the code that is given is strange.
    It doesn't seem to see the controller?
    Any help would be appreciated
    Rod

Re: Help with Novusun NVEM control card

You need to fix the IP address of the laptops ethernet port to something like 192.168.31.10 if you are connecting the cable directly to the Novusun.
    Unlike your Ethernet Smoothstepper that requires a fixed address, the Novusun can get its IP from the routers DHCP server.
    As long as both the Novusun and the laptop are connected to the same router an address within the same address range with be given to both devices and therefore they should be visible to each other.
    Cheers

Hi all,

Anyone else had the same problem ?

I have set a static IP address of 192.168.31.10, a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and no Gateway.
    Laptop and controller are directly connected through a straight RJ45 cable (not crossover).
    In the Windows 10 command prompt i can see the static address using ipconfig /all
    In don't see any other IP addresses on the LAN except this one and localhost(127.0.0.1), using netstat -r
    I tried disabling Windows firewall, enabling network discovery and allowing other computers to use this laptop's network connection
    Still no joy.

Short of using a router and letting the device figure out the addresses, is there anything else i should do ?

Anyone else care to chip in ?

TKS,

-fc

Quote Originally Posted by floodcooled View Post
    Hi all,

I have set a static IP address of 192.168.31.10, a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and no Gateway.
    Laptop and controller are directly connected through a straight RJ45 cable (not crossover).
    In the Windows 10 command prompt i can see the static address using ipconfig /all
    In don't see any other IP addresses on the LAN except this one and localhost(127.0.0.1), using netstat -r
    I tried disabling Windows firewall, enabling network discovery and allowing other computers to use this laptop's network connection
    Still no joy.

Short of using a router and letting the device figure out the addresses, is there anything else i should do ?

TKS,

-fc
    Hi, Disable your firewall and see if it communicates then.
    I had a very similar problem.

Shane

Quote Originally Posted by floodcooled View Post
    Hi all,

Still no joy.

TKS,

-fc
    Netstat -r just shows your routing table, it won't show other active IP's on the LAN. If you are direct connecting from your computer to the controller, you probably need a crossover cable. Or, if you prefer not to use a crossover cable, you'll need to put some kind of switch or hub in between the two.

Sorry it's been so long but I thought I best update this
    All I did to get it running was go into my control panel
    I can't remember we're it was but I added a extra IP address supplied in the instructions and wola it worked!
    I hope this is some help

I was just looking over their USB version, but I'm being told ESS is the way to go...

How is that controller working for you?

CR

I ordered one of those NVEM boards (not received yet) and planing to replace the LPT board from my Chinese 6040 (not yet received) . I'm also interested in feedback/pointers from people who have been using this board with Mach3 and this type of CNC machine. Also if anyone has attempted to use it with LinuxCNC. Couldn't find much info about it out there. I'm a newbie with CNC so it's a steep curve :-).

Miky

Quote Originally Posted by miky4u2 View Post
    I ordered one of those NVEM boards (not received yet) and planing to replace the LPT board from my Chinese 6040 (not yet received) . I'm also interested in feedback/pointers from people who have been using this board with Mach3 and this type of CNC machine. Also if anyone has attempted to use it with LinuxCNC. Couldn't find much info about it out there. I'm a newbie with CNC so it's a steep curve :-).

Miky
    Also interested. Just order the Ethernet version to replace the richauto dsp on my new cnc. It just wouldn't read the usb sticks. Any suggestions on setting up and things to look out for would be great.

I am trying to set up a CNC using one of these NOVUSUN Ethernet controllers. I can't seem to figure out how to get it to work with MACH3. Everythign is attached to home network same range of IP. I confirmed the NOVUSUN is on the network by logging into my router and checking its IP. I select the NOVUSUN profile when starting MACH3 but it still doesn't seem to work. Any help, or ideas?

TNX Jim

Quote Originally Posted by w7owc View Post
    I am trying to set up a CNC using one of these NOVUSUN Ethernet controllers. I can't seem to figure out how to get it to work with MACH3. Everythign is attached to home network same range of IP. I confirmed the NOVUSUN is on the network by logging into my router and checking its IP. I select the NOVUSUN profile when starting MACH3 but it still doesn't seem to work. Any help, or ideas?

TNX Jim
    I haven't set up a usb controller yet, but is there a plugin that Mach3 needs so it knows to send the commands there and not the parallel port?

yep, I have that plugin installed. Do I need to provide 5 volts to the enable pins of the stepper drivers? It does not show this the NVEM wiring.

I found a PDF for one of their ESS boards, not sure if it's teh same as yours....

There should be +5v common on the axis ports??? If you supply power to the ESS can you measure +5v at the axis common? There's also an E Stop that I believe needs to be shorted, they probably drop the +5v when that's not engaged....

CR

Well I got it going. I had to go in a open up the firewall.
    Now I am going through the process of configuring the software and the Router.

OK so a new problem with these controllers. It seems that for what ever reason it will loose DHCP IP connectivity (possilbly EMI from the steppers) and reverts back to its default devices to computer protocol. It will run fine for awhile then quit. it seems it does this when it stops running, so perhaps a large amount of EMF generated by the stepper coils? I know they are sure RF noisy! They wiped out my radio while running. Has anyone else ever experienced this? Going to try some ferrite cores on the Ethernet cable.

Just wondering how many others are running these?

I have also purchased this controller card and I as well cannot get it to jog. I have done everything that the manual says for the setup of this board for the ports and pins and it will not jog. I have also followed all the advice that the people on this thread has given and still the jog function does not work. I have also checked and made sure that the jog function was turned on in mach3. I am running windows 10 and I have a router hooked up to the computer and the board and the router does see both devices. I have disabled ALL firewalls, windows and my antivirus programs ones. When I open Mach3 I can test my e-stop and that works and also I have tested my probe input and that also works so I think that the board and the computer are talking to each other. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

when you start up MACH3 is the NVEM plugged into you network and powered on? In the box at the bottom of MACH3 next to the red/green reset button it should say connected to the NVEM. sorry I don't know the correct name for this box.

Quote Originally Posted by w7owc View Post
    when you start up MACH3 is the NVEM plugged into you network and powered on? In the box at the bottom of MACH3 next to the red/green reset button it should say connected to the NVEM. sorry I don't know the correct name for this box.
    Yes the board is powered on and the router sees both devices connected. It does not say connected to nvem at all but after I reset the system is can use the reset button to reset mach3. Plus the pin that has my probe hooked up to it lights up when I engage the probe but this is all hooked up to the board. It just seems that there is no communication from the computer to the board

Hi all, im looking at getting one of these to upgrade my 6040 cnc. Has anyone got a copy of the manual and any info you have encounted. Id like to know before i sink money into it otherwise ill just go ESS

Cheers Ryan

I think this is a wast of money and time , for me was , i have now an uc400 eth ,far away more better .

Page 1 of 13 12311