584,837 active members*
5,517 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Mori Seiki Machines > Mori Seiki lathes > Mori Seiki SL1 Retrofit Hydraulic Solenoid Wiring

Question Mori Seiki SL1 Retrofit Hydraulic Solenoid Wiring

Summoning the elders here if I can.

I have a Mori Seiki SL1 that I'm retrofitting. I'm looking for some information on the electrical wiring for the Daikin hydraulic unit. Looking in the electrical box for the unit I can see that each solenoid pack has 3 wires. Making an educated guess I would think that the s11 wires ganged together are the load and the U labeled wires are the common. Since each solenoid has two coils it looks like they both share load and they are triggered by a switched common at U10 and U11. Inside the solenoid I you can see the S11 labeled wire is connected to the 100v which is bridged with a copper strap. The other 100v wire is hidden under the S11 wire in the picture. I spoke with a Daikin rep about the solenoids to make sure we wouldn't kill them with 120v power and they ensured us they are 100v 50hz or 110v 60hz +-10%. Problem is we cant seem to get the solenoid to activate in either direction. We can confirm power at the terminals but there is no mechanical movement. I obviously have something wrong here and could use a little hint if anyone could share some knowledge.

Re: Mori Seiki SL1 Retrofit Hydraulic Solenoid Wiring

That is a pilot operated valve, so you won't see any response until hydraulic pump is running, do you have this?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    That is a pilot operated valve, so you won't see any response until hydraulic pump is running, do you have this?
    Al.
    I have the valves operational now, I wired it just as I suspected and got it to work. I can open and close all the valves I'm just trying to wrap my head around how the switch for changing the chuck clamping direction works. It looks like the switch works by changing which side of the solenoid is energized ie if the switch is to the left terminals 51 and 52 are connected and if its to the right the 51 and 53 are connected allowing a constant power to go to either side of the valve solenoid? I don't know if this is correct. What I need to know is if the chuck requires a constant pressure from the hydraulic unit once its clamped or does it hold pressure once its clamped on the part. Can you explain how the foot pedal works on the original control. Does it only open the chuck and does the control open the valve to close the chuck once the foot pedal is released?

Quote Originally Posted by ObsidianLabs View Post
    Can you explain how the foot pedal works on the original control.
    Foot switch was Flip/Flop type circuit.

Does it only open the chuck ?
    opens or closes

does the control open the valve to close the chuck once the foot pedal is released?
    no. For safety reasons there was a Toggle Switch some where on the Operator's Panel for clamping direction OD or ID to disable Cycle Start.

Hope that helps some,
    DJ

Quote Originally Posted by machinehop5 View Post
    Foot switch was Flip/Flop type circuit.

opens or closes

no. For safety reasons there was a Toggle Switch some where on the Operator's Panel for clamping direction OD or ID to disable Cycle Start.

Hope that helps some,
    DJ
    Thanks DJ

So you're saying the valve is suppose to close and hold pressure once you let off the foot pedal?

So you're saying the valve is suppose to close and hold pressure once you let off the foot pedal?
    No..saying it should Flip the Valve every time the foot switch is pushed down.
    hold pressure once you let off the foot pedal?
    There is always holding pressure when the machine is running.

Quote Originally Posted by machinehop5 View Post
    No..saying it should Flip the Valve every time the foot switch is pushed down.

There is always holding pressure when the machine is running.
    Thank you!