584,817 active members*
4,802 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > started my cnc conversion for Precision Matthews PM-25MV Mill
Page 1 of 3 123

started my cnc conversion for Precision Matthews PM-25MV Mill

Hi,

I started my cnc conversion, I machine all the mounts now I need to order my ball screws next, here is one of many video's i posted look at this one or all Thanks, please let me know or recommend/ helpful tips I should know for this is my first cnc mill conversion and any help i would appreciate it!
    Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCGt8fY1hwM

Re: started my cnc conversion for Precision Matthews PM-25MV Mill

I suggest to not machine parts untill you have the purchased components in your hands and verify dimensions first.
    Especiallly if you buy cheap chinese components, dimensions might be out of tolerance.

you have a good point, this is a proven plans and why i did it this way, if i ever do this again i will purchased the components first

Those like really nice!
    Are you using FK10/FK12 bearing cartridges by the looks of it?
    I'm going down the same route, though I bought all of my electronics/motors/software so far, ballscrews came in today, and my FK bearings plus couplers are a month or so out yet on the slow boat from china, so I haven't started machining anything for the conversion yet.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianPM View Post
    Those like really nice!
    Are you using FK10/FK12 bearing cartridges by the looks of it?
    I'm going down the same route, though I bought all of my electronics/motors/software so far, ballscrews came in today, and my FK bearings plus couplers are a month or so out yet on the slow boat from china, so I haven't started machining anything for the conversion yet.
    I'm 3/4 the way through converting one myself using my X2 to make the parts.
    I made my own bearing blocks to accommodate 32x12x10mm 7201-2RS Angular contact bearings for my 1605 screws.
    Seeing how well they work I wouldn't go back to anything else.
    I've packed my double nuts with some aluminium foil to make them tighter (they do now have a little drag). I've only got my Y axis properly set up atm but with the packed nuts and AC bearing combination my backlash has shown >0.001" (0.02mm).

Once this is finished I'll use it to change my X2 from thrust to AC bearings.

I went with 1100oz Nema 34 motors so added extra fixing points to the base and table for the bearing mounts. A fair amount of weight comes with those 34 size motors!

hey brain,
    yes i when with FK/FF10 and 12 they have Angular contact bearings/ who did you buy your ballscrews from?

Quote Originally Posted by rmachinist View Post
    hey brain,
    yes i when with FK/FF10 and 12 they have Angular contact bearings/ who did you buy your ballscrews from?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PM-25MV-cnc-conversion-kit-precision-matthews-balls-crews-machined-as-drawings-/253926681285
    They took about a week to get in from China, which was faster than I expected.
    I’m still waiting for couplers and bearings.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PM-25MV-cnc-conversion-kit-precision-matthews-balls-crews-machined-as-drawings-/253926681285
    Nice. I may have gone that route if I'd noticed them.
    I've over complicated mine due to the pre made sizes I could get at the time. Gone DFU1605 all round.

Having grief getting my Y axis gib set correctly due to being like a slight banana. Tight when fully engaged but once it goes forward and saddle over hangs it goes loose and saddle is twist able (wobbles).

Any suggestions?
    Daz.

I bought the same one 3 days ago! a week thats fast! let me ask i'm still waiting on a tracking number did chai provide one and what mail carrier did he use?

IIRC, it was DHL, and there was a tracking number.

ETA: I just checked my records... I ordered on the evening of 5/31, received the screws on 6/11, and was contacted by DHL with tracking info on 6/8.

How was the quality on your PM25? I am in the middle of my conversion on the 30MV. The biggest issue was when I moved any of the axis before I tore it down there was a horrible grinding noise from the grease being loaded with sand, I am guessing from the castings. Also I received it half the screws were loose including the largest one holding the column on. I will a little shocked when I was able to remove two of the 4 bolts by hand. All the lead screw except the y axis had powder coat on them along with a couple of the mating surfaces. One of my Z axis bearing was missing a ball. I am just unlucky or do I need to lower my expectations? I know for the price one can't expect perfection but from all the review I read I was expecting a bit better then what I got. I also have a lathe from them inbound on the slow boat and I am a bit concerned. Should I just plan on doing a full tear down on that as well to get everything cleaned up? I know there is no way I would have ran this mill out of the box.

I have everything for my conversion sitting in the corner taunting me. I don't want to cut into the base until I get the conversion kit. David and ArizonaVideo is diligently working on them and I think it should ship this week.

Yes, working on them
    youtube videos of the G0704 under the name arizonavideo99

Quote Originally Posted by sundewzer View Post
    How was the quality on your PM25? I am in the middle of my conversion on the 30MV. The biggest issue was when I moved any of the axis before I tore it down there was a horrible grinding noise from the grease being loaded with sand, I am guessing from the castings. Also I received it half the screws were loose including the largest one holding the column on. I will a little shocked when I was able to remove two of the 4 bolts by hand. All the lead screw except the y axis had powder coat on them along with a couple of the mating surfaces. One of my Z axis bearing was missing a ball. I am just unlucky or do I need to lower my expectations? I know for the price one can't expect perfection but from all the review I read I was expecting a bit better then what I got. I also have a lathe from them inbound on the slow boat and I am a bit concerned. Should I just plan on doing a full tear down on that as well to get everything cleaned up? I know there is no way I would have ran this mill out of the box.

I have everything for my conversion sitting in the corner taunting me. I don't want to cut into the base until I get the conversion kit. David and ArizonaVideo is diligently working on them and I think it should ship this week.
    The only issue I had with my PM-25MV was that I had to add 0.004" of shim stock into the bottom front of the column to get the y-axis to tram correctly and the Z-axis square to the table- its not perfect still, but a thou over the travel of the y-axis is good enough for my needs right now. The bolts holding the head weren't super tight, but I had to loosen them for tramming anyway. Other than that, its just cosmetic stuff, but I didn't buy it for the looks..

when I gotten my pm25mv I wasn't too happy with their quality neither I complain about it little to Precision Matthews for the money I spent on it, I was expecting something little nicer. It’s a must doing a full tear down to get everything cleaned up and adjusted again, I feel like I shouldn’t had to gone thru this , but ½ a day later once done very thing worked out great, , Don’t buy the stand! The stand looks nice but I had problems with mind it rocking around on the floor I have a new house and the mill is in the basement I didn’t want to drill holes in the new floor, I ended up buying square steel tubing and leveling caster now it’s lot more solid, I think making a stand or buy a tool box would be lot better option, I also read the reviews before buying and comparing mills I’m happy I chosen Precision Matthews in my opinion I believe there better than others out there
    I made all of my parts at work/ I just received my ball screw from chia I’m getting close I need motors and few more smaller stuff
    like to see pictures of your mill and after the conversion , what are you going to put your electronics in?

IIRC, it was DHL, and there was a tracking number.

ETA: I just checked my records... I ordered on the evening of 5/31, received the screws on 6/11, and was contacted by DHL with tracking info on 6/8.
    hi brain, i just received my ball screws today can you do me a favor check your lengths on them and make sure there right and let me know? mind seem a bit long

I have 750mm on X, 350mm on Y, and 600mm on Z. Z can be a bit longer with no problem.

Cool Re: started my cnc conversion for Precision Matthews PM-25MV Mill

Quote Originally Posted by arizonavideo View Post
    Yes, working on them
    GREAT! Thank again for all the information and helping me pick the motors.

The only issue I had with my PM-25MV was that I had to add 0.004" of shim stock into the bottom front of the column to get the y-axis to tram correctly and the Z-axis square to the table- its not perfect still, but a thou over the travel of the y-axis is good enough for my needs right now. The bolts holding the head weren't super tight, but I had to loosen them for tramming anyway. Other than that, its just cosmetic stuff, but I didn't buy it for the looks..
    I didn't buy it for the looks either, if I did would have went the a Grizzly. Just can't beat that forest service green . What I did buy it for was moving the table and head. These thing are really hard to do when bearing are missing balls and bearing are packed with rust not oil.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/WmP2Xb7j1hoFuVEK6
    This just tells me that they have no quality control in the states. It was hard to turn the handle and the noise was awful. On the flip side all of the mating surfaces look great, that is once I got all the powercoat of them.

Quote Originally Posted by rmachinist View Post
    Don’t buy the stand! The stand looks nice but I had problems with mind it rocking around on the floor I have a new house and the mill is in the basement I didn’t want to drill holes in the new floor, I ended up buying square steel tubing and leveling caster now it’s lot more solid, I think making a stand or buy a tool box would be lot better option, I also read the reviews before buying and comparing mills I’m happy I chosen Precision Matthews in my opinion I believe there better than others out there
    I made all of my parts at work/ I just received my ball screw from chia I’m getting close I need motors and few more smaller stuff
    like to see pictures of your mill and after the conversion , what are you going to put your electronics in?
    I am putting mine on a toolbox from Harbor Freight. I am guessing I will have to reinforce it. I went a bit overkill on the motors and went with all NEMA 34 Cleapath motors (CPM-SDSK-3421S-RLS). When I priced it out it was about $100 more than the DMM Servos and I got bigger motors that are all the same. Plus I have used Clearpath in the past and there customer support is next to none. I will using UCCNC with the UC300ETH-UB1 from CNCRoom. To answer you question, I don't know yet. I plan on 3D printing something but I am going to wait until I have it all setup to decided the best spot. The other really nice thing about the clearpath motors is I don't need a large enclosure because the controller are on the motors. All I have is the UC300ETH-UB1 and the power supply which I want in the open for cooling, probably on the back of the mill or toolbox.

Here is the album for all the picture that I will keep adding to if anyone is interest.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/ujsUpkb9SF3Q1r8Z7

Quote Originally Posted by shooter123456 View Post
    I have 750mm on X, 350mm on Y, and 600mm on Z. Z can be a bit longer with no problem.
    I ended up with DFU screws of 800mm on X- made a thicker block for floating end. Cut down a 450mm on Y to fit- unsure on exact size. 650mm on Z to allow for my dual single nut design.

I am putting mine on a toolbox from Harbor Freight. I am guessing I will have to reinforce it. I went a bit overkill on the motors and went with all NEMA 34 Cleapath motors (CPM-SDSK-3421S-RLS). When I priced it out it was about $100 more than the DMM Servos and I got bigger motors that are all the same. Plus I have used Clearpath in the past and there customer support is next to none. I will using UCCNC with the UC300ETH-UB1 from CNCRoom. To answer you question, I don't know yet. I plan on 3D printing something but I am going to wait until I have it all setup to decided the best spot. The other really nice thing about the clearpath motors is I don't need a large enclosure because the controller are on the motors. All I have is the UC300ETH-UB1 and the power supply which I want in the open for cooling, probably on the back of the mill or toolbox.

Here is the album for all the picture that I will keep adding to if anyone is interest.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/ujsUpkb9SF3Q1r8Z7

I've gone Nema34 as well.
    For peace of mind really. Allows the gibs to be a little tighter than when using Nema23.
    Must admit though there is a bit of weight there on the X table end.
    Would you add something on the other end to balance it a bit?

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    I've gone Nema34 as well.
    For peace of mind really. Allows the gibs to be a little tighter than when using Nema23.
    Must admit though there is a bit of weight there on the X table end.
    Would you add something on the other end to balance it a bit?
    The clearpath motor are only 4lbs and less than 4" long. I don't think a counter weight is required. If something was needed I would just shift the workpiece closer to the side with the motor on it so you have more overhang on the opposite side.

Page 1 of 3 123