584,837 active members*
5,879 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

SCM Record 2 Retrofit

Hello everyone!

I'm looking for someone who did retrofit in SCM record CNC machining center. NUM750 control.

Looking for a new board/controller and what used to do it.

Thanks for your attention !

Re: SCM Record 2 Retrofit

Hello.

I have retrofitted a couple of ROVER 342´s and one SCM 612 among a number of other machines. While I might be proven wrong as I´m not familiar with your particular machine I don´t see an immediate limitation to use any system you decide to use.

The component that makes the difference is the interface between the controller and the actual drives. Some systems even use an external controller other than the main computer to signal the actual moving of the motors.

As an example please watch the following videos.

ROVER BIESSE 342

GRIBETZ CHAIN QUILTER
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MuOlVDJPg0

While these two machines are entirely different to one another they use the same control program. The first one appears to be a little fancier as the graphic display is activated and in the second machine it is not. Nevertheless the actual control program is the same. The difference is the interface card needed to control them as the first one also includes the control module (virtual PLC) for all the tools. The second only has one tool.

If you find it difficult to find a retrofit kit specifically for your machine let me know. Perhaps it is possible to adapt some system to your process.

If your drives accept STEP (PULSE) & DIRECTION signals the adaptation would be greatly simplified.

Note: My systems do not use an external motion controller and the software and language are of my design not directly compatible to G&M codes.

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by BBMNet View Post
    Hello.

I have retrofitted a couple of ROVER 342´s and one SCM 612 among a number of other machines. While I might be proven wrong as I´m not familiar with your particular machine I don´t see an immediate limitation to use any system you decide to use.

The component that makes the difference is the interface between the controller and the actual drives. Some systems even use an external controller other than the main computer to signal the actual moving of the motors.

As an example please watch the following videos.

ROVER BIESSE 342
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6FiInwcxh8

GRIBETZ CHAIN QUILTER
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MuOlVDJPg0

While these two machines are entirely different to one another they use the same control program. The first one appears to be a little fancier as the graphic display is activated and in the second machine it is not. Nevertheless the actual control program is the same. The difference is the interface card needed to control them as the first one also includes the control module (virtual PLC) for all the tools. The second only has one tool.

If you find it difficult to find a retrofit kit specifically for your machine let me know. Perhaps it is possible to adapt some system to your process.

If your drives accept STEP (PULSE) & DIRECTION signals the adaptation would be greatly simplified.

Note: My systems do not use an external motion controller and the software and language are of my design not directly compatible to G&M codes.

Regards.
    Thanks for your response. My main question was about what board to use, I found CS lab board and looked in the wiring schemes of the machine, servos work with 10v signal. Not step dir. The board is a little on the expensive side, but look nice. Pretend to use it with mach3/4. Very good job from the videos.

I would look at the Dynomotion Kflop/Kanalog system.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Hello.

If you are already considering a controller then perhaps all the comments that follow are in excess.

The ROVER 342 also uses +/- 10V control signals. To make it more complicated they have to be fed in complementary form, that is you have to actually feed two signals. That was the least of the problems.

One problem I also faced was that the control system needed to receive the position information as the only feedback on the servos was for speed via tachogenerators. Incremental encoders were included for the position information.

In some of my machines the main PC program reads the encoders but in this particular machine the number of lines of the encoders proved too fast a rate to correctly read them. The way to solve it was to use microcontrollers to take that job. The main program only needs to read them when the need arises. Later on I learnt of a chip that could do that. Unfortunately I didn´t know about it before.Yet it could have been difficult to get them as it was rather problematic at the time due to import permits.

By the way, due to price tags on commercial products and the aforementioned import permits we are usually forced to do our own electronics. That however has proved to be a good thing as we design using locally available components making machine downtime and repair costs very low.

Most surely you are not fan of the DIY wave as you have many already built options but if you have enough information of the DAC interface you mentioned it may be possible to make a functional clone of it. The limitation would be the use of special chips either microcontrollers, ASICs or the like. Yet an analysis of the specs of the card could help to device that clone or at least check its feasability.

The included pictures show some of the cards I used on the ROVER 342. The DAC resolution was 12 bits for the axes and 8 bits for the VSD. This last DAC was single ended.

As a reference pictures of the actual servos and VSD are also included.

I hope this gives you an idea.

Regards.

PS: I don´t know how the employment works on your part of the country but it might be possible to hire some freelance engineer to design and build your clonic card. It´s a matter of checking out mainly cost and time. As I said things are quite different here in Mexico but that has helped me a lot in other non cnc projects.I was about to mention hiring an undergraduate student but he or she would probably require specialized guidance.

Hello all! Sorry for the delay.

Yes, i'm considering a motion board because of the speed and ease of use.

But really cool to see your board and progress

Hello Jim, in the moment i'm looking flor Kflop/Kanalog. First started with CS-LAB then went for kflop. I bought the cnc last week and now I'm planning on retrofitting.