584,814 active members*
5,148 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mill or router

this year we have a new COO at work* and he stop all government jobs he will not let anybody do any more side jobs.* I'm loosing sleep currently looking for a machine for my home I not sure what to buy a mill and use it for a year and convert to cnc or a cnc router. Was looking at grizzly G0704 or the piranha router A lot money* either way*thinking of going with the mill cause it would be more versatile just thinking. Does anyone have any options on either one would better

Re: Mill or router

Depends on what you want to make. A mill can make things out of metals and other materials and might have greater accuracy but might be limited to the work envelope and finish quality. A router can also make make many things but might be limited to the materials you can use based on it's size and rigidity.

You should decide what you want to make and what materials you will use then decide what machine is best. Having both a CNC mill and a router might be even better :-)

thanks for reply, i would be milling wood for sure, and if needed i was thinking if i ever needed to cut metal i could and it would have a wider range of tools i could use in a mill
    maybe i'm think about this all wrong

So you need to determine how large your projects will be (largest of course being important). You can't cut big parts on small machines (well not easily anyway). A machine built to cut wood will unlikely cut metals to a reasonable result of repeatable end product. Machine flex, spindle speed, travel speed and accuracy all need to be considered.

Cheers,

good point not much bigger then "6x"6 this it why i think a mill would be more versatile cut wood and metal and more tools can be used

For something that small, yes. A dremel (or better quality) could be used for higher spindle related speeds.

Instead of the G0704, I would recommend the Precision Mathews PM-25MV. If you are going to convert to CNC later it is better because the saddle requires no modifications and it already has a brushless DC motor. I think the quality is a little better as well. It does cost about $200 more, but I think those things make up for the $.

Was looking at grizzly G0704 or the piranha router
    Not sure you could find two more different machines to compare??
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I was looking at them to I like them not sure where you came up $200 more I think there listed for$2,299
    And G0704 is 1,450
    Quote Originally Posted by maxspongebob View Post
    Instead of the G0704, I would recommend the Precision Mathews PM-25MV. If you are going to convert to CNC later it is better because the saddle requires no modifications and it already has a brushless DC motor. I think the quality is a little better as well. It does cost about $200 more, but I think those things make up for the $.

Quote Originally Posted by rmachinist View Post
    I was looking at them to I like them not sure where you came up $200 more I think there listed for$2,299
    And G0704 is 1,450
    Grizzly G0704 with stand included is $1495 + $119 shipping. Total is $1614

Precision Matthews PM25MV is $1699 + stand is $169 + shipping is $169. Total is $2037

Difference is $423

The PM25MV is belt drive so it doesn't have any plastic gears like the Grizzly does. The PM also have a variable speed brushless motor. Grizzly has a 1 year warranty and PM has a 3 year warranty.

you are right