584,800 active members*
4,632 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Kitamura with Fanuc OM control - 400 408 414 424 434 servo alarms
Page 1 of 2 12

Kitamura with Fanuc OM control - 400 408 414 424 434 servo alarms

1998 Kitamura Mycenter1 with Fanuc O-M control

I recently got this machine into commission after it sat for a year (stuck ATC and RS-232 communication issues) after moving it into my shop.

Today I had it running for a few hours. It stalled suddenly in the middle of a program. The display showed 945 serial spindle alarm 1CH. I shut the machine down completely and restarted it. Now it displays five servo alarms on startup.
    400 servo alarm (over load)
    408 servo alarm (serial not ready)
    414 servo alarm (x axis detect err.)
    424 servo alarm (y axis detect err.)
    434 servo alarm (z axis detect err.)

This looks pretty bad to me. I have been doing some research on each individual alarm, but I'm thinking that all five plus the original 945 alarm indicate a major failure.

Re: Kitamura with Fanuc OM control - 400 408 414 424 434 servo alarms

Almost sounds like an emergency stop function. What's not adding up was fact it was working. Leaning my machine when I first got it, I felt like I was chasing rabbits. But after inspecting and cleaning my limit switches to start with. I had a running machine......for a bit. Then I had to clean the contacts on all my push buttons. Then I had to replace the spindle drive motor cooling fan. Works great now. Older machines = corrosion. Sometimes just a good ole fashioned cleaning does wonders.
    Good luck

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Fadal,

Might be time to reconsider the handle.. Fatal Error . I looked at one of these machines a while ago.. As I recall it has an "all in one" servo controller. I would guess one of two things... My first suspicion is the servo controller went down (possibly a popped breaker or other overload). Second guess is that the comm link on the main (or daughter card - I forget how it attached) died.

Cj

Yes this is likely a multi axis servo drive. Any one failure can bring the whole drive down. I'm learning to hate these. It may not be anywhere as bad as you think though. Could be a breaker or overload like someone mentioned. Take a look at the drive and attach a pic of it and any LEDs that are lit or numbers displayed. That should help you narrow in on it.

I talked to Fanuc support yesterday. Start by checking fuses. Then possible loose fiber optic cable. I will look into it next week.

I lost half a day yesterday switching the job that was running to one of the Fadals, you know, the old 80s tech mills that rarely hiccup on me.

Now I need to finish this lathe rush job that I was supposed to ship today.

Quote Originally Posted by cjfisher View Post
    Fadal,

Might be time to reconsider the handle.. Fatal Error .
    Seriously. The Fadals have never given me this much trouble.

I have checked connections and they all seem to be fine. I don't see any corrosion. I really don't think there is a fiber optic cable in this machine.

This is the inside of the control. The lack of status display on these boxes makes me think that there is something very wrong.

Fadal,

This looks like a much newer OM.. As to where I would go.. Check the incoming power (L1, L2, L3 on the right unit) and in the case of no power - work backward to see where the power is coming from and isn't (there may be a contactor in there). If you have power at L1, L2, L3 then I would start asking questions about the power unit itself. My guess would be the first scenario.

Cj

This may just be a failure of the 24V power supply that runs the logic on the drives. Check the voltage on the blue wires.

Quote Originally Posted by cjfisher View Post
    Fadal,

This looks like a much newer OM.. As to where I would go.. Check the incoming power (L1, L2, L3 on the right unit) and in the case of no power - work backward to see where the power is coming from and isn't (there may be a contactor in there). If you have power at L1, L2, L3 then I would start asking questions about the power unit itself. My guess would be the first scenario.

Cj
    I traced power to the contactor and it stopped there. The overload is stuck out. It won't reset even when I pulled it out of the machine. My electrician says the latch must be broken. I got about half voltage through one leg when I held the overload in. A local used machine dealer says there is likely a condition that caused it to burn out, but it hasn't been tripping before this. I'm tempted to get a replacement contactor to see if it fixes it.

Fadal,

Contactors are mechanical and subject to dying... if the contacts were on the way the out, then continued use of the machine may have just burned them out that much faster. Replace the contactor and see what happens (and keep us posted ). After you replace the contactor it would be interesting to put an amp meter on the wires and see what currents your machine is pulling.

Cj

I picked up a used contactor on ebay that is a perfect match, but it didn't fix the issue. I can't get this contactor to reset either. I do get full voltage on the output contacts when I depress the overload reset.

I was showing the machine to a friend today and I realized that I had been overlooking the flashing Index button that is next to the tool clamp and unclamp buttons. I went around to the side of the machine and tried to index the tool carousel manually. It clicks, but doesn't move. The Index button stops flashing though. I'm thinking something in the ATC may be giving me trouble again.

Fadal,

Any luck with getting the servo drives powered on? Is the contactor coil getting power? I can't help but wonder if the ATC and the servo drive problems are connected. I seem to recall reading that on the newer systems builders often used a servo to rotate the ATC into position. The clicks you hear could be the ATC unlocking to allow rotation. Perhaps the reason your ATC doesn't spin is due to the lack of power to the servo system. If you hold the contactor in will the servos start up?

Cj

The contactor is getting power, but it isn't passing through. The servo drives do not power on. There is an LED that warns that they are charged that lights up when I push the contactor in, but the LED status displays stay dark.

Holding the contactor in on startup does nothing.

Fadal,

Sounds like the contactor is working.. as it is passing power to the drives which are then charging up. Time to check some of the other inputs on the drive to see if they are getting supplied with the required signals. Looks like there is an AC input and a pair of red and blue wires under the JX18 (hard to tell in the picture) connector that go back to the main control. Trace those back to their origins. One of them is probably part of the safety loop. If you were in northern Utah I'd be tempted to come look at you machine.

Cj

Sounds like the WGoyer advice is ignored. It would be a power supply (on Fanuc 0 Control) issue or power supply fuse pop.

Quote Originally Posted by Alamgeer View Post
    Sounds like the WGoyer advice is ignored. It would be a power supply (on Fanuc 0 Control) issue or power supply fuse pop.
    Power is not even getting to the power supply. It stops at the contactor which is two steps upstream. Something is keeping the contactor from closing. Would failure of the power supply shut that down?

I may have missed something but here is what I know.

If the drive package does not light up the main buss power contactor will never turn on. On your picture, top right you should see two red wires and a green yellow striped wire providing (usually 220V) power to the power supply. This is the logic power. Internally it also has a 24VDC power supply that jumpers to the drive with the jumpers (blue). At the bottom of the Power supply you will see two plugs. One (red) should be the power to the main buss power contactor. The blue ones should be part of the e-stop string.

So if you do not have power on the logic power then nothing is going to happen.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by gwiz View Post
    I may have missed something but here is what I know.

If the drive package does not light up the main buss power contactor will never turn on. On your picture, top right you should see two red wires and a green yellow striped wire providing (usually 220V) power to the power supply. This is the logic power. Internally it also has a 24VDC power supply that jumpers to the drive with the jumpers (blue). At the bottom of the Power supply you will see two plugs. One (red) should be the power to the main buss power contactor. The blue ones should be part of the e-stop string.

So if you do not have power on the logic power then nothing is going to happen.

Hope this helps.
    Thank you.

It would be a dream if it were just a fuse. I can't find any fuses in the power supply.

Page 1 of 2 12