584,817 active members*
4,660 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > AXYZ Millennium router - good things to know if you have one

Post AXYZ Millennium router - good things to know if you have one

Hello all,

I make this post pretty much for the future because I found there are not alot of informations on this machine
    even if the company sold quite few of them. Since the machine is kind of old, around 2002 or so, informations
    is not that available easily and AXYZ is not supporting it that much (will talk about this later on)

So, here's my story:
    I am no expert in CNC but willing to learn and I like pretty much any fabrication machine (have a 3D printer so far and a CNC glass cutting machine that I wish to convert: https://www.cnczone.com/forums/gener...ml#post2212838)

So, I bought an AXYZ Millennium or Millenium (yes 2 "n" according to model name id plate) with a double filter dust collector trough an online industrial auction. It was a big bet because did not know if machines were working nor if the computer has all the programs and wiring communication included with it.

General specs:
    - 220V, 1 phase, 15A
    - About 41" x 41" x 6" work area, safer size is more likely 39" x 39"
    - Slotted aluminium table
    - Italian ELTE model TMPE3 12/2 air cooled spindle: 2.2 kW (about 3hp) AC 3phase spindle motor, 18 000 rpm max., ER25 collet
    - Air input needed for dust boot cylinder retraction/release
    - All axis are based on rack & pinion (screw type on Z), linear bearing
    - Controller is called AMC, newer model from AXYZ recent machines is called A2MC

Few pictures of it:

Z-Axis

All electronic boards are located underneath the aluminium slotted table

2 videos:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ex...e8M19thQPYaCRJ

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wE...1XjMAIoKF_v7zs

When the machine arrive, I was really happy to see that the computer was filled up with the software needed and few docs. I needed to "hack" the Windows PC since there was a password linked to it. BTW, if you need to do that, I recommend you the linux distribution Trinity Rescue Kit (using winpass tool) or pretty much any Linux distro using chntpw command tool.

Something I know before bidding but was a pain when I tried to make the machine work was the keypad sticker is missing, so I wasn't able to see which buttons I needed to press and did not have any documentation what to do. Finally I found some docs and videos on the web that I was able to see the sticker.

I tried to contact AXYZ to obtain documentation (eg. user manual since there was none on their website) and buying the sticker (maybe they still have some?) but more than 1 week so far I haven't heard from them by email. Tried to call them but no response. I read on differents forums that they charge alot for support and are
    not that helpful sometimes.

I've done some maintenance to it, there was alot of wood/MDF dust everywhere, in board cabinet (underneath table) and all around machine and PC. Added new lithium grease on all linear bearings. Had to remove spindle and check out about a weird noise coming up when going down in Z: clean the screw, lubricate and put it back, seems to be ok for now. I read somewhere on forums the nut on Z axis is pretty cheap and might be break over time, but it must be easy to fix since it look like a normal CNC-type Z-screw.

I found there was a post-processor on Vectric (VCarve, Aspire, etc.) for it, named: "Axyz Arcs (inch)"
    Haven't try 3D surfacing yet, but it seems to work with basic toolpath at the moment (circles, square, text)
    Will do more complex stuff soon... right now waiting for collet to come.

While searching for informations on this machine to make it work, I found a Polish CNC forum talking alot
    about the machine and AXYZ company. (thx google translate!) Even someone post a wiring documentation
    of the machine, which could be handy! Here it is: https://www.cnc.info.pl/wymiana-elek...um-t63337.html
    See doc attached.

Still searching on the web, on YouTube, I found a kind person that was able to send me documentation that
    he had on it. I finally end up able to make the machine works in Automatic. It's pretty big documentation (around 2Gb) but not everything is usefull. I ended up translating the Functions manual needed from Russian to English! (thx again google translate!)

According to my actual understanding, here's (one) procedure you need to follow to run in Auto:
    1. Draw your part on AutoCAD, Vectric or similar CAD program
    2. Use that 2D part in Vectric (or similar CAM program) to make the toolpaths
    3. Export the G-Code using the good post-processor I talked about earlier
    4. Go in Toolpath for Windows (program of AXYZ) to import the G-Code
    5. There's some steps to do in Toolpath for Windows (remove errors in Analysis & verify origin) then the file need to be save in ".RDY" format.
    6. Send the ".RDY" file to the controller using the Toolpath for Windows program
    7. Activate the program on the machine using keypad
    8. Set up origin X, Y, Z using keypad
    9. Set up Z=0, feed, rapid speed, and maximum allowable places using keypad. Functions needed are in the manual, there are plenty of those, will make another post for that
    10. Start the program
    11. Enjoy!

If you have a big G-Code program (alot of lines), theres a program called DNC that can feed the controller
    with more than 1 file (since the controller memory is low). I haven't tried that yet, would see later on.

Hope all this informations could help someone in the future or even in the present!

Will try to add other infos as well in this post. Hope you liked!
    AXYZ Millennium router CNC: https://goo.gl/gxvdcA
    Glass cutting CNC table: https://goo.gl/VrDqGD

Re: AXYZ Millennium router - good things to know if you have one

I just stumbled across this.

I have a 1999 version of this machine. It looks basically the same. The Z axis is different. The rails are even and the proximity sensor is between the right rail and the ballscrew. I have a perske spindle. The Z mounting plate is different. The electronic boards are different, close enough though that I can tell what each of yours are.

Mine came without the PC. I removed the main board and replaced it with a smooth-stepper. I am running mach 4 to control the machine now.

Quote Originally Posted by TTalma View Post
    I just stumbled across this.

I have a 1999 version of this machine. It looks basically the same. The Z axis is different. The rails are even and the proximity sensor is between the right rail and the ballscrew. I have a perske spindle. The Z mounting plate is different. The electronic boards are different, close enough though that I can tell what each of yours are.

Mine came without the PC. I removed the main board and replaced it with a smooth-stepper. I am running mach 4 to control the machine now.
    Did you kept the motor drivers and just change the board ?

I wish I could change the main board because it's a bit of a pain sometimes using that old AMC controller... (tool change, origin setup, etc..)

I have manuals for this machine if needed? Any and all info on electronics and beyond always helpful. been using my machine for over 5 yrs, no issues, but windows 98 in control with LRC card!
    sooner or later somethings going to happen

Quote Originally Posted by IN_ACTION_MAN View Post
    I have manuals for this machine if needed? Any and all info on electronics and beyond always helpful. been using my machine for over 5 yrs, no issues, but windows 98 in control with LRC card!
    sooner or later somethings going to happen
    I would be please to receive that. The only documentation I have right now is some I was able to found and had to translate from Russian...

I will try and load what I can? do not be hesitant to send a Message if not received or seen? Not on site very often!

Quote Originally Posted by Quebecois_Sti View Post
    Did you kept the motor drivers and just change the board ?

I wish I could change the main board because it's a bit of a pain sometimes using that old AMC controller... (tool change, origin setup, etc..)
    Sorry I didn't answer this post earlier. I did just replace the main board. I kept all of the drivers and the power supply board for the steppers. I had to add an additional power supply that had +5V and +12V for my relay board, and I am using this to power the ESS.

It really wasn't hard to do. Took about 3 evenings to swap the board and get everything running with Mach 4. Probably should have spent a little more time as my wiring is not the neatest!

Since I got it I switched it over to an ATC spindle, added a 4th axis and have generally used it a ton! and it has held up great, I'm very happy with it.

If you want to do it as well I would be happy to help. I'm very happy with the smooth stepper and think that is the way to go.

hello, I just bought a Millenium myself. The manual and both interfaces (RS232 and USB) were included but not the Toolpath software. I don't believe it has been changed ... Do I absolutely need Toolpath to make it work? I have the vectric suite with which I can generate the GCodes but how can I send them to the CNC? Thank you for your help

Are you sure its RS232?The AXYZ machines I have encountered used RS485 interfaces.The computer end communicated via USB.I have set up a machine with Toolpath as the interface and it wasn't so hard with the manual and the configuration settings to hand.If you haven't got Toolpath I don't know how you could send the programs to the controller and further I wouldn't know how to move job datum or machine datum.If you are really lucky,it might be possible to go with the settings currently in the controller but I feel sure you will need some software to expedite the file transfer.If you have Vectric and are willing to buy the AMC file transfer package there are additional options as you can use AMC file transfer or run directly from the computer using DNC.You may be lucky enough to have the complete manuals for the machine and if that is the case, I strongly recommend a bit of study as there may be ways of doing some of this stuff via the console.My feeling is that you will have to source Toolpath to get much work done.

not sure if RS232 or RS485. I will check that out and post a picture of it. Should have some time in the next days to take a look

I confirm it's RS485 connection between the machine and computer.
    There's a converter box. See picture attached.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RS485.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	455070

I just acquire another machine (conventionnal knee mill) to go in my garage and
    I wish to use more my router in the upcoming future and switching to newer controller
    will make it alot easier and faster.

I am really confuse which one to use between the ESS SmoothStepper with MB3 breakout board
    or the Centroid Acorn Controller system

To me and according to TTalma above I should lookout at the ESS but the Acorn seems
    alot better because of Mach3/Mach4 software that some on the web seems to doesn't like
    so much. Furthermore, in a possible future, I might convert my knee mill to Centroid system
    because it seems very good so it might be a good introduction to their system before going
    all trough the expensive thing on my bigger machine.

Still in the dilemna to choose right now. Will continue my research, if any recommendations you
    are welcome.

Quick comparison, it seems cost effective to use Acorn instead of ESS mostly because of included
    accessories.

Attachment 455076

Quote Originally Posted by Frimas View Post
    hello, I just bought a Millenium myself. The manual and both interfaces (RS232 and USB) were included but not the Toolpath software. I don't believe it has been changed ... Do I absolutely need Toolpath to make it work? I have the vectric suite with which I can generate the GCodes but how can I send them to the CNC? Thank you for your help
    According to my understanding yes you need to send the GCode from Vectric via ToolPath software
    to your machine. If there's another method without changing the controller I am all in. I wish I could
    send you the software but I don't have any install executable, only the working software on a computer.

Quote Originally Posted by TTalma View Post
    Sorry I didn't answer this post earlier. I did just replace the main board. I kept all of the drivers and the power supply board for the steppers. I had to add an additional power supply that had +5V and +12V for my relay board, and I am using this to power the ESS.

It really wasn't hard to do. Took about 3 evenings to swap the board and get everything running with Mach 4. Probably should have spent a little more time as my wiring is not the neatest!

Since I got it I switched it over to an ATC spindle, added a 4th axis and have generally used it a ton! and it has held up great, I'm very happy with it.

If you want to do it as well I would be happy to help. I'm very happy with the smooth stepper and think that is the way to go.

I understand you posted this a few years ago but I hope you can help me. I am in the same boat and want to convert the AMC controller to an ESS so I can run mach3 or mach4. Do you have a wiring diagram or a picture of how you wired everything? ANY help would be greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by darlingbjustin View Post
    I understand you posted this a few years ago but I hope you can help me. I am in the same boat and want to convert the AMC controller to an ESS so I can run mach3 or mach4. Do you have a wiring diagram or a picture of how you wired everything? ANY help would be greatly appreciated!
    I finally did a retrofit with Centroid Acorn. It is much better than Mach3/Mach4. I recommend it to you. I didn't make the wiring diagram but I can supply pictures. It's much easier than it looks. However, I didn't use the original drive of the spindle.

There's a forum at Centroid and you can get alot of help too, see the post I made there here:
    https://www.centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=48269#p48269

Are you available to ask a few questions about the tolerances and rigidity of this machine?

Thank you,

Tom