584,812 active members*
5,550 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Controller & Computer Solutions > Which Controller or Software to use? Finding and remembering centre points for ....

Which Controller or Software to use? Finding and remembering centre points for ....

Hi,
    I have done some automation using a dedicated controller to achieve basic G-Code based stuff but that sums up the depth of my experience.
    Now I have decided to build a machine that requires some more complicated task, such as knowing an approximate centre of say 3 holes with 3mm +/- tolerance.
    The machine would have to visit each hole and using a probe would have to find the centre of each hole and register the x and y coordinates to the accuracy of say 0.01mm.
    These coordinates would then be used later in the job/process.

The rest of the tasks are easy, but this above is something I like to find the best controller/software solution for.
    It would be also important to be able to access remotely to
    It would be good to be able to customise the operator interface

The machine would have 3 axis, X and Y for horizontal and Z for the spindle

What would be the best suited for this type of work?

TIA

Tom

Re: Which Controller or Software to use? Finding and remembering centre points for .

Hi,
    I have used Mach for years, first Mach3 and parallel port motion controller, and for the last six years Mach4 and an Ethernet SmoothStepper motion controller.

Either Mach3 or Mach4 would do as you require, and more besides. Its not so much that they are adequate but both so much more capable.
    Of the two I prefer Mach4, its careful and modular design using Lua as a scripting language allows for very flexible and comprehensive customisation. It's
    ready facility to be customised is perhaps its greatest strength and compares well or better than most of it competitors in that narrow regard.

Craig

Re: Which Controller or Software to use? Finding and remembering centre points for .

Quote Originally Posted by silver_fx View Post
    Hi,
    I have done some automation using a dedicated controller to achieve basic G-Code based stuff but that sums up the depth of my experience.
    Now I have decided to build a machine that requires some more complicated task, such as knowing an approximate centre of say 3 holes with 3mm +/- tolerance.
    The machine would have to visit each hole and using a probe would have to find the centre of each hole and register the x and y coordinates to the accuracy of say 0.01mm.

The rest of the tasks are easy, but this above is something I like to find the best controller/software solution for.

TIA

Tom

How many lines of code would it be?.
    Mach3 can do 500 lines in demo mode (free).
    Just something to note.

Hi,

TIA

Tom
    Is this for an industrial assembly line type application?

A Galil Motion Control unit would be my first choice for a controller, most likely a DMC-4030, then just write the the operator interface software for it using your favorite development software. That way you have 100% control over the entire process. Overall this seems pretty easy and painless.

I guess it depends on the budget you have for this project.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Thanks vm, Machx is certainly tempting since it is windows based, which I heard is also the downside of it. In any case Mach3/4 is a good candidate

Well, that is something I am not sure of. Really the only complicated stuff is the centring - finding and recording each centre point which I have no idea how is it done. G-Code? else?
    the rest would be a lot less complicated.

Hi,
    Mach4 has quite a range of probing functions built in. For example the screenshot is of the Bore/Boss probing tab.

The probing routine is written as a script which is viewable and editable so you can customise it to suit....although its entirely probable
    you wouldn't have to modify anything.

Craig

Attachment 467638

my 2 cents of contrubution.

Take a look here:

https://www.theremino.com/en/downloads/automation#cnc

Leo

Thanks, that is certainly worth considering

Quote Originally Posted by joeavaerage View Post
    Hi,
    Mach4 has quite a range of probing functions built in. For example the screenshot is of the Bore/Boss probing tab.

The probing routine is written as a script which is viewable and editable so you can customise it to suit....although its entirely probable
    you wouldn't have to modify anything.

Craig

Attachment 467638

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    Is this for an industrial assembly line type application?

A Galil Motion Control unit would be my first choice for a controller, most likely a DMC-4030, then just write the the operator interface software for it using your favorite development software. That way you have 100% control over the entire process. Overall this seems pretty easy and painless.

I guess it depends on the budget you have for this project.
    Thanks Jim,
    I am building a boring machine that needs to bore 3 or 4 cylinders. The automatic repositioning and centring will certainly be a big progress but I also like to make it so the boring diameter can be electronically (digitally) controlled ....this will be an even bigger challenge

Considering the Galil Motion Control Unit, does it come with an API? as you said I can use my choice of develpment software (language I assume) ?

TIA

Tom

Thanks Jim,
    I am building a boring machine that needs to bore 3 or 4 cylinders. The automatic repositioning and centring will certainly be a big progress but I also like to make it so the boring diameter can be electronically (digitally) controlled ....this will be an even bigger challenge

Considering the Galil Motion Control Unit, does it come with an API? as you said I can use my choice of develpment software (language I assume) ?

TIA

Tom

Yes, the Galil comes with an API. Programming the Galil itself can be done in any text editor, or the free Galil software. The API has examples for C++, C#, and VB.net. Very easy to work with. I use the free version of Microsoft Visual Studio, VB.net for my programming. I think Galil also has drivers for Linux. I'm running several CNC machines with Galil products, as well as using them in other industrial applications..
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    Yes, the Galil comes with an API. Programming the Galil itself can be done in any text editor, or the free Galil software. The API has examples for C++, C#, and VB.net. Very easy to work with. I use the free version of Microsoft Visual Studio, VB.net for my programming. I think Galil also has drivers for Linux. I'm running several CNC machines with Galil products, as well as using them in other industrial applications..
    Thanks Jim, When can I find references/samples of the Galil API?

Thanks Jim, When can I find references/samples of the Galil API?
    https://www.galil.com/downloads/api

They may ask you to set up an account to download. They won't spam you, just a news letter once every couple of months.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA