584,805 active members*
4,854 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Maintenance in General > Maintenance DIY Discussion > Rewiring Mill - Conduit / Cable Protection Selection

Rewiring Mill - Conduit / Cable Protection Selection

When installing my mill in the shop, I moved the control box from the back of the mill to the wall. It was a huge space saver! The conduit and wire lengths were not ideal, but I got it done. It's been a while and I am ready to upgrade the controller in the mill. While I am at it, I thought I would rewire the whole thing and redo all the conduit as well. Should I go with the various plastic solutions or go with metal?

What is the best kind of conduit/cable protector for the external wiring on a milling machine and where do I get some?

What is the best multi lead wire (3-12) for a rewire and where to get that as well?

Thank you!

Re: Rewiring Mill - Conduit / Cable Protection Selection

Personally I used flexible-metallic conduit, obtained from the local electrical supplier.
    This offers a grounded shield, protection and easier than solid pipe with bends etc.
    The wire I mainly used is TEW.MTW etc, If you use TR64 for lower current panel wiring, it has a much smaller OA diameter and does not fill wire trough up allowing smaller trough size.
    When wiring motors etc with single strand versions as above, twist them together for EMI cancellation, the ground conductor can be left untwisted with the rest..
    I got most materials from the same supplier above.
    , Also there is a PDF version of NFPA79 out there with a search.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Personally I used flexible-metallic conduit, obtained from the local electrical supplier.
    This offers a grounded shield, protection and easier than solid pipe with bends etc.
    Thank you for the response. I am looking to rewire all the motors, limit switches, buttons and the like. To clarify, I am looking for dynamic conduit for on the mill, not from the mill to the power.

Quote Originally Posted by Megaplow View Post
    When installing my mill in the shop, I moved the control box from the back of the mill to the wall. It was a huge space saver! The conduit and wire lengths were not ideal, but I got it done. It's been a while and I am ready to upgrade the controller in the mill. While I am at it, I thought I would rewire the whole thing and redo all the conduit as well. Should I go with the various plastic solutions or go with metal?

What is the best kind of conduit/cable protector for the external wiring on a milling machine and where do I get some?

What is the best multi lead wire (3-12) for a rewire and where to get that as well?

Thank you!
    Metal Pipe Conduit is not suitable as you will have machine movement ( Like Vibrations Etc. )

IGUS also have Conduit for machine use https://www.igus.com/info/energy-cha...ble-protectors

Flexible with metal lining is best to use for an install like this, depending on the size you need you can get some sizes at Home Depot or Lowe's, snip attached

Stranded copper wire is what you need to use for machine wiring, for long term reliability you want quality wire IGUS is one of the better suppliers of cable / wire which you can buy by the foot https://www.igus.com/chainflex/bulk-cable
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PMA Conduit.PNG  
    Mactec54

This is what I have been looking for, thank you!