584,866 active members*
5,054 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > Hypertherm Plasma > Installing hypertherm interface cable to gecko g540

Installing hypertherm interface cable to gecko g540

Hey guys, im new to the site and to the cnc world.
    I just bought a new 4x6 cnc plasma table and am running a hypertherm powermax 45 with it. Everything is ready to go except the interface cable. i understand the anthenal plug goes into the back of the plasma unit. though the other end of the cable is 4 spade connectors. i know there is two sets of wires, one black with a green wire and another black with a red wire. one is an arc ok and one is a move ok, i belive. i have a gecko g540 motor drive and from what i understand, the wires from the interface cable go there. from what i was told, it seems like all of the pins on the g540 are either inputs or outputs. so how do i determine weather the colored wires on the interface cable are inputs or outputs? the black wires would obviously be the opposite. but im also not sure what to do about configuring the arc ok and move ok in mach 3..
    Am i on the right path? or does this make me seem lost in the head? lol
    any help would be greatly appriciated!
    thanks
    tyler

The green/black pair on the Hypertherm cable is the plasma start input......so those two wires connect to a relay output on your machine that closes to fire the torch and opens to stop the torch. The other pair in the Hypertherm cable is the arc transferred output from the plasma.....which would connect to a machine input that needs reference that the arc is cutting metal. I suggest you get the interface and I/O setup information from the machine builder.....

The Hypertherm cable diagram is in your Powermax45 operators manual.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by tylershouseofab View Post
    Hey guys, im new to the site and to the cnc world.
    I just bought a new 4x6 cnc plasma table and am running a hypertherm powermax 45 with it. Everything is ready to go except the interface cable. i understand the anthenal plug goes into the back of the plasma unit. though the other end of the cable is 4 spade connectors. i know there is two sets of wires, one black with a green wire and another black with a red wire. one is an arc ok and one is a move ok, i belive. i have a gecko g540 motor drive and from what i understand, the wires from the interface cable go there. from what i was told, it seems like all of the pins on the g540 are either inputs or outputs. so how do i determine weather the colored wires on the interface cable are inputs or outputs? the black wires would obviously be the opposite. but im also not sure what to do about configuring the arc ok and move ok in mach 3..
    Am i on the right path? or does this make me seem lost in the head? lol
    any help would be greatly appriciated!
    thanks
    tyler

I am having the same problem, with possibly the same vendor (lightning CNC or protoparts on ebay), who has proven unresponsive thus far.

I have a Hypertherm Powermax45 w/ hand held torch, a gecko g540 and am using Mach3 to drive it. I have successfully by-passed the saftey in the handle held torch inside of the powermax unit and I know that on the rear of the box need to connect pins #3 and #4 to something, but at this point it I have no idea. The gecko g540 manual us not clear and I have read some things that suggest I need a relay, but I don't even know where to start on that one.

So here are my questions:
    1. Do I need a relay, if yes what kind and where can I get one?
    2. Assuming I get the relay and which pins on the gecko do I connect it to?
    3. Inside of mach3 what would let me know that I have it set up properly other than just trial and error?

I've got a similar setup to yours - Powermax 45 and a G540. You can run the 3&4 pins right across one of the G540 relays. Just take #3 to one of your output pins, and #4 to ground.

Scott