584,812 active members*
5,321 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Rhino 3D > Manipulating meshes in Rhino

Manipulating meshes in Rhino

I create a pointcloud with my Microscribe in Rhino. The only way I've found inside Rhino to convert it into a model is pointcloud to mesh.

But I'm having a hard time modifying the mesh in Rhino.

Do I need to buy another program? Suggestions?

Re: Manipulating meshes in Rhino

There seems to be many programs... mesh2surf clayoo rhinoresurf.... they're big investments for hobby use... need the best bang for buck

Instead of creating points, try creating curves. If you're trying to digitize an object, draw two sets of curves around it: one set which goes all around it horizontally, and another set that go vertically and cross the others at right angles, like the latitude and longitude lines on a globe. Make sure all snaps are off, and use the Interpcrv command, clicking on all the intersection points and whichever others are needed to capture the details. When you've got all those curves drawn with the Microscribe, use the NetworkSrf tool to create a surface from the curve network. This will be an editable Rhino NURBS surface, not a mesh, although you can always mesh it if you want.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

My issue with that is i'm doing an inside of a curved tunnel. Very difficult to draw it the way you described.

Quote Originally Posted by williamsmotower View Post
    My issue with that is i'm doing an inside of a curved tunnel. Very difficult to draw it the way you described.
    You may want to look at "PointCloudSection". Depending on how clean the cloud is, it can be pretty easy and quick.

https://youtu.be/HQthC0qMNKA

You'll see me turn on "grid snap" attempting to "work quick for video" as to try to maintain a plane pick with a single plane of points (This is important to get good curves. You can see a couple times I crossed point planes and got some wonky curves)

Anyway, good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    Instead of creating points, try creating curves. If you're trying to digitize an object, draw two sets of curves around it: one set which goes all around it horizontally, and another set that go vertically and cross the others at right angles, like the latitude and longitude lines on a globe. Make sure all snaps are off, and use the Interpcrv command, clicking on all the intersection points and whichever others are needed to capture the details. When you've got all those curves drawn with the Microscribe, use the NetworkSrf tool to create a surface from the curve network. This will be an editable Rhino NURBS surface, not a mesh, although you can always mesh it if you want.
    @williamsmotower - I agree with Awerby. If you can master the curve game, rest comes pretty easy. I suggest Youtube a video called 'Rhino Curves and Surfaces'. It's pretty solid.

I had a similar situation a few weeks ago with a point cloud.I used the patch feature to create surfaces and then had something to refine.It worked and the part we made is now in use.

Hello everyone,

I would download the free version of Sculptis. Save the stl as an obj file in Rhino, and import it into Sculptris. You can re-mesh, simplify, add more control points, and sculpt with the movement of your mouse, all with 'brushes'. A very handy program for altering meshes on an organic model. I love Rhino but it's very precise and if you want to alter something organically, it's not the best option. Especially when meshes are concerned. Nurbs yes, meshes are a pain in Rhino.

I hope that helps!
    Cheers,
    Bruce

Can you post this mesh? And what splining accuracy do you need?
    Point to curves, curves to true surfaces.
    I have developed a procedure to do this successfully once you have a stl mesh or any other.
    Software is Fastsurf, a relic from the past.
    Been doing this too long

Rhino have two plugins for organic modelling with nurbs result: T-splines (RIP), and Clayoo (stiil under develop).
    Both of them using low-poly square mesh to create nurbs.
    Clayoo 2.0 have also sculpting tools, allowing you paint by mouse over stl file, result is STL.
    But editing this mesh is headache for me.
    I uses Silo as low-poly mesh editor, than export squares to Rhino, and made organic nurbs with few mouse clicks.

I use the STL file to extract spline points, to create true Bi-cubic surfaces. it is tedious i don't use NURBS.I have software from 2001. works well.
    Been doing this too long

With T-splies it's possible by hand-made with retopo snap turned on.
    But it's not useful for me.
    I know two 3rd party software for triangle to quads conversion, Zbrush and 3D coat.
    After conversion you can reduce amount of polygons keeping original topology.
    IMHO

Glad this thread is still going!

I took a break from it for awhile. I had trial of Clayoo, but wasn't enough time to learn basics. It was ok, but I'll have to get some online help from them which they offer.

I need to keep dimensions somewhat close, while also being fairly organic.

I'd like to be able to put a full dimple texture on final shape.

If you are looking for CAD programs, look no further than Blender for a do-all application. I have been using Rhino for 10 years as a platform and it is capable of everything, especially strong import and export capability. But when it comes to mesh sculpting Blender is free open source and maintained by a strong community and has top end mesh sculpting ability. I use it to supplement my mesh operations in Rhino. But the learning curve is medium.