584,826 active members*
5,068 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Angry HAAS VF4 Alarm 4.103

This post is mostly a precautionary warning to all the other unfortunate souls who may find themselves dealing with HAAS alarms, faults and other issues. I have been getting various spindle fault and tool changer alarms on our VF4 SS machine, and we have had the service techs out several times to ‘fix’ the issue. I’ll be up front and say I am not a fan of HAAS machines, yes they are made in the USA, but I find them very disappointing. Anyhow, today an operator comes to me about an alarm on the machine. I go to investigate and it is displaying alarm 4.103 S ( Spindle ) fault too large. I read the alarm message, it suggest to remove the tool and inspect for chips, dirt, or damage. I then hit the reset button to clear the alarm and go into MDI mode so that I can do as it suggests. I try never to assume when working with CNC equipment, as we all know when you assume something it will bite you in the ass. But, after over twenty years of working in machine shops, many of those years with HAAS paperweights, you generally expect them to behave a certain way. I made the mistake of assuming that the spindle was not turning since it was in an alarmed state. I also made the mistake of assuming that after hitting the reset button to clear the alarm, that the spindle should NOT be turning. I couldn’t tell that the spindle was on because I didn’t hear anything and the collet/endmill combo being dark colored it was hard to tell visually. I reached in and thankfully wrapped my hand around the collet/holder section and immediately pulled back after feeling the holder spin in my hand. I only received a minor cut, but it really rattled me, coming that close to losing some fingers and possibly my hand. I was in shock that the spindle was on, I hit the reset button over and over and it would not stop spinning, it didn’t even slow down. I know after certain Z-axis spindle faults the spindle can remain spinning, like during a power outage, but they usually spin down until they stop, but the spindle doesn't just keep running. I eventually had to shut the machine off to get the spindle to stop. I am lucky I didn’t get seriously injured, it was a reminder to me that you have to always be on alert with these machines. We all know that in a shop environment, with the pressure of deadlines etc, we are usually working fast and don’t normally stop to double check things that 99.99% of the time work a certain way. That .01% can really ruin your life, so just keep your wits about you. I can now add this to the list of why I despise HAAS machines so much.

Re: HAAS VF4 Alarm 4.103

...someone has bypassed the Door Interlock System? It's there for a reason or is Haas looking for a Lawyer visit?

Quote Originally Posted by machinehop5 View Post
    ...someone has bypassed the Door Interlock System? It's there for a reason or is Haas looking for a Lawyer visit?
    Lol, actually it isn't bypassed, both doors were wide open, I hit reset over and over. There is some kind if software error. I had to make an error log to send to the service techs, and I took a look and saw some odd software error messages. The other weird thing is after shutting off the machine to get it to stop, it wouldn't power back up. I had to switch the main breaker off and after turning it back on it powered up. One of the other contributing factors was the lighting, only about half the lights were powered up since it was early. I tried to replicate the scenario later on because I was really surprised that I couldn't tell it was spinning, and with the shop at full brightness it was evident that it was spinning. Even the operator who was standing next to me didn't realize it was on, he thought the tool was hot or something when I jerked my hand back. Overall I feel lucky that I wasn't seriously injured, and it's a reminder to me to never trust these machines. After thousands if times performing the same maneuver you just expect the equipment to operate a certain way, but now I know to look out for this possibility. I know it seems obvious and like a stupid mistake, but it really caught me off guard and I'm pretty aware around these machines. Over twenty years and I have never been injured by equipment, sharp chips and parts **** yeah, but faulty equipment, never.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LUX93 View Post
    Lol, actually it isn't bypassed, both doors were wide open, I hit reset over and over. There is some kind if software error. I had to make an error log to send to the service techs, and I took a look and saw some odd software error messages. The other weird thing is after shutting off the machine to get it to stop, it wouldn't power back up. I had to switch the main breaker off and after turning it back on it powered up. One of the other contributing factors was the lighting, only about half the lights were powered up since it was early. I tried to replicate the scenario later on because I was really surprised that I couldn't tell it was spinning, and with the shop at full brightness it was evident that it was spinning. Even the operator who was standing next to me didn't realize it was on, he thought the tool was hot or something when I jerked my hand back. Overall I feel lucky that I wasn't seriously injured, and it's a reminder to me to never trust these machines. After thousands if times performing the same maneuver you just expect the equipment to operate a certain way, but now I know to look out for this possibility. I know it seems obvious and like a stupid mistake, but it really caught me off guard and I'm pretty aware around these machines. Over twenty years and I have never been injured by equipment, sharp chips and parts **** yeah, but faulty equipment, never.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    You say 20 years experience, you should of known to do a recovery after an alarm, like this, your operator caused this to happen he ran the Z axis into something, an caused an over load, this turned off the Z axis servo, if you had of used Recovery mode all would of been good, Pressing Reset screwed it up, and did nothing to correct the problem

The door interlock is nothing to do with the software these are hard wired for Safety, unless by passed, when the door is opened this cuts power to the spindle motor and drives nothing can run, so someone has something screwed with your machine

If you could not tell the spindle was running you should not be trouble shooting or working on any machine

Haas machines are as good as any other in there price range, you have a choice to buy what ever machine you want, you don't like it buy something else

You say lighting was the problem, what was wrong with reading what was on the screen before you pressed Reset
    Mactec54