584,800 active members*
4,747 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Creating a machine appropriate for CNC and 3d printing.

Creating a machine appropriate for CNC and 3d printing.

I just build my first 3d printer a few months ago. I absolutely love it. I wanted to build a CNC many years ago but I had not squashed out all the steps going from A to B. Building a 3d printer educated me greatly on how these things work. IT was actually a kit that needed some TLC but it prints amazing now. Now I am wanting to build a bigger printer. The reason I am asking you guys this is because there are a lot of options out there for other boards and motors. And my experience is limited to the MKS 1.4 board and small steppers though.

What boards & motors would you guys recommend for building this hybrid? Or really anything you could tell me. I know i can't be the only one here doing this.

Re: Creating a machine appropriate for CNC and 3d printing.

I looked into this. Generally not a good idea. It can be done, however it limits your 3D printer build height. And if you make your Z higher to accommodate, you lose rigidity for milling.

Quote Originally Posted by dasflux View Post
    I just build my first 3d printer a few months ago. I absolutely love it. I wanted to build a CNC many years ago but I had not squashed out all the steps going from A to B. Building a 3d printer educated me greatly on how these things work. IT was actually a kit that needed some TLC but it prints amazing now. Now I am wanting to build a bigger printer. The reason I am asking you guys this is because there are a lot of options out there for other boards and motors. And my experience is limited to the MKS 1.4 board and small steppers though.

What boards & motors would you guys recommend for building this hybrid? Or really anything you could tell me. I know i can't be the only one here doing this.
    As has been noted the reality is that it is very though to design a machine that can do both well. What you run into is that a decent mill requires a rigid machine, a rigid machine ends up pretty heavy relative to a 3D printer. Heavy means your driving system can not accelerate the way that is ideal. There are other issues but a lot of them end up tracing back to the need to make a mill rigid.

Now you might be able to compromise if the mill is in actuality a PCB mill or an engraver but even here axis need to be rigid. They can be lighter but not much.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    As has been noted the reality is that it is very though to design a machine that can do both well. What you run into is that a decent mill requires a rigid machine, a rigid machine ends up pretty heavy relative to a 3D printer. Heavy means your driving system can not accelerate the way that is ideal. There are other issues but a lot of them end up tracing back to the need to make a mill rigid.

Now you might be able to compromise if the mill is in actuality a PCB mill or an engraver but even here axis need to be rigid. They can be lighter but not much.
    I see. That is pretty much what I'm hearing. I'm just a hobbyist. I don't need anything professional. I think this guys open source machine fits my needs well. Check this out.

https://youtu.be/0omJqgyX3t0

He's gaining quite a following in the 3d printer community.

I see. That is pretty much what I'm hearing. I'm just a hobbyist. I don't need anything professional.
    While I understand what you are saying here, few of the guys in this forum would be considered full time professionals. A good number of the builds here are in fact hobby builds.
    I think this guys open source machine fits my needs well. Check this out.
    I wouldn't bother myself. You could build a more robust machine out of wood. It is interesting that we don't see the router running in that video.
    He's gaining quite a following in the 3d printer community.

I suspect many in the 3D primer community will take this the wrong way but a lot of the people in the firums I've visited could be considered to be NUTs. The problem is they can build machines no doubt but what can the machines do? A machine built out of 3D printed parts and EMT is not going to be very robust. Even if you keep the spans fairly short EMT isn't that stiff.

You say this is for a hobby but just what is that hobby? If we can better understand what you expect out of the machine we could be more helpful. If you want to do wood routing for example we can bias comments for that use. On the other hand if the goal is simply to build a CNC machine and not have any expectation that it will work well, that would be handy to know. You could also build this machine with the intention of building a more useful one later. Without knowing what your expectations are it is hard to suggest anything. For example a few people build mills specifically for PCB machining with little desire to run anything else on the machine.

Now that said once you have a CNC mill you might just find it to be more useful than you first imagine and start to apply it to jobs where a better build would be a big pay off.

That machine would not be very useful for milling. If you only needed to use a pen holder or tangetal knife, it would be fine. Maybe PCB milling with a dremel type spindle would be ok.

Hi i have an shapercube 2.1 and an Heiz 400 t Router i am thinking of Doing exactely that ,.. Have a 3D Printer which Can take an normal kress spindle and work i did this For Test on an proxxon mf70 Cnc i changed marlin Software so that pcb-gcode worked Fine this Router would be able to Do A4 Size milling in Acryl Wood etc maybe engraving and milling of Alu Boards so Electronic enthusiasts would be happy but will be Not before Christmas

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk