584,846 active members*
4,038 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

VQC 15/40 NMI 201 Low Hydraulic pressure

I just moved my Mazak VQC 15/40 and after powering up it has code 201 low hydraulic pressure. All axis movements appear normal, but the code allows the spindle to run for a minute them shuts it down. I hear a gurgling sound that wasn't there the day before so I imagine that air is trapped in the pump?

Any ideas as to how to bleed or otherwise get this thing going again? The guys that moved it spilled a lot of fluid out when they disconnected the lines, but I refilled the tank and am at a loss as to how to proceed

Check your hydraulic valves and check your pressure switch. Also check your hydraulic pump.

Make sure you're not running the pump backwards. Normally, dumping the fluid is not a problem for the pressure switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Night Shift Wiz View Post
    Make sure you're not running the pump backwards. Normally, dumping the fluid is not a problem for the pressure switch.
    Help me out here. How would I be running the pump backwards? Doesn't the pump run the x, y, and z motors? I have movement in all three axis and the machine doesn't shut down, like when a belt breaks, so I believe it has enough hydraulic pressure going in the correct direction, but still not seeing the pressure.

Is there an air bleed on this unit?

Quote Originally Posted by Super Chicken View Post
    Help me out here. How would I be running the pump backwards? Doesn't the pump run the x, y, and z motors? I have movement in all three axis and the machine doesn't shut down, like when a belt breaks, so I believe it has enough hydraulic pressure going in the correct direction, but still not seeing the pressure.

Is there an air bleed on this unit?
    Your axis are run by servo drives. They can handle a reversal of the input phases if you move a machine and hook it up differently.

Your hydraulic pump runs the ATC and magazine, pallet unclamp, pallet changer, spindle unclamp and the Z axis counterbalance. If you're showing pressure on the hydraulic gauge then the pump isn't running backwards. Jumper out your pressure switch and see if that doesn't make the alarms go away and the machine run. If it does, clean it. If that doesn't fix it, replace it.

If you're not reading pressure on your gauge the pump is probably running backwards or not running at all. If you run the pump backwards for too long you can permanently damage it. If it's running backwards, swap two of the input wires.

You also have a spindle coolant pump that could be causing your problems. That is more likely to make a gurgling sound and shut down your spindle.