585,722 active members*
4,366 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Material Technology > Material Machining Solutions > Cutting Carbon Fiber in CNC router with Vaccum.

Cutting Carbon Fiber in CNC router with Vaccum.

Folks, I want to cut a 2d part out of 3mm Carbon firber sheet for the dash of my car.
    I have read before that carbon fiber "is bad stuff". I have cut MDF in the past wish is considered also "bad Stuff" with a vacumm attachedment and a homemade dush shoe with not problem. There was no cloud of dush anywhere. I do have an Oneida Cyclone.

I was reading the some people prefer to cut Carbon fiber under water to keep the dust in the water. Is this absolutely necessary?
    What are some precautions and things I need to be aware about before cutting a part in carbon.

Thank you.

Re: Cutting Carbon Fiber in CNC router with Vaccum.

Carbon fibre dust is like any carbon if fine enough like for example Laser toner a standard vacuum cleaner filter is not fine enough to filter it, meaning the carbon can find its way into the motor and cause shorts & some spectacular firework displays can result. I have machined carbon fibre without problems only precautions of different approach I took was to sweep and collect majority of dust chips before vacuuming the remainder, you should not be creating clouds of carbon dust whilst machining unless trying to use a large bottom cleaner bit for some strange reason!

Which is more important, your lungs or your car? Do you like to gamble?

Quote Originally Posted by elfrench View Post
    Which is more important, your lungs or your car? Do you like to gamble?
    My car.. hehe. I don't understand you statement. But please speak up if you have something to contribute that will help. I am thinking a water bed should address the problem and hold any particles. Don't you guys think?

It shouldn't be too hard to figure out. Ask yourself what the dust from the carbon fiber will do to your lungs. Without a HEPA filter on your vacuum all you will be doing is putting the carbon fiber dust into the air where you'll be breathing it.

I roll my portable router out doors and cut it there. Do some tests for feeds and speeds. I usually run a pretty low RPM and 60ipm or so. The dust does not fill the air. I don't blow it off with air but vacuum it up. I will use cheapo carbide tipped router bits 1/4 or 3/8 inch. Experiment with your stock because there's lots of variable with layups and the epoxy used.

Quote Originally Posted by elfrench View Post
    It shouldn't be too hard to figure out. Ask yourself what the dust from the carbon fiber will do to your lungs. Without a HEPA filter on your vacuum all you will be doing is putting the carbon fiber dust into the air where you'll be breathing it.
    Fine, fair statement. Now what if I cut underwater - in a tub. ?
    Is this still a possible solution and is safe?