584,800 active members*
4,868 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Laser Engraving and Cutting Machines > Laser Engraving / Cutting Machine General Topics > HAVE YOU LASER ENGRAVED OR CUT MIRROR - ACRYLIC / GLASS ? PLS SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCES.

HAVE YOU LASER ENGRAVED OR CUT MIRROR - ACRYLIC / GLASS ? PLS SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCES.

Hello All,

Hope all is well .

I have a new Bodor laser cutter / engraver machine 130w (1300mm x 900mm) AND was hoping if anyone could share their experiences?
    Here are some questions that would be greatly appreciated if answered.

1) what is best material for Laser engraving Mirror" Acrylic or Glass "?

2) what thickness is mostly used ? 2mm or 3mm ?

3) what are the potential problems or risk i should be aware of when cutting or engraving these types of materials ?

4) what are the most common base settings for Engraving for mirror Acrylic or Glass , i understand they maybe needed to be tweaked as you go.

5) Any preferred table setup or material protection prior engraving ?

6) Is their a preferred Mirror Brand users like to use more than others ?

These are just a few question that would help me Engrave mirrors more safely and achieve a nicer result .

I appreciate your help !

Cheers Avanti

Re: HAVE YOU LASER ENGRAVED OR CUT MIRROR - ACRYLIC / GLASS ? PLS SHARE YOUR EXPERIEN

Your laser run on mirrors so i think you might have problems with that we have cut some mirror out with a laser but upside down

- - - Updated - - -

Your laser run on mirrors so i think you might have problems with that we have cut some mirror out with a laser but upside down

Re: HAVE YOU LASER ENGRAVED OR CUT MIRROR - ACRYLIC / GLASS ? PLS SHARE YOUR EXPERIEN

I have laser engraved mirrors both from the front and from the back. I use wet news print on the front and mirror image when doing the back

Thanks for the update . I'm some what surprised with the amount of views that very few people have experienced cutting mirror acrylic. I guess i was expecting alot more discussion.
    Yes i have been told wet paper is a good way to protect the acrylic and for engraving glass too..

Quote Originally Posted by MR AVANTI View Post
    Thanks for the update . I'm some what surprised with the amount of views that very few people have experienced cutting mirror acrylic. I guess i was expecting alot more discussion. Yes i have been told wet paper is a good way to protect the acrylic and for engraving glass too..
    Do it all the time, nothing to it at all, just always do it from the rear and leave the protective film on the optical side of the mirror acrylic until the job is done.. use plenty of air

Quote Originally Posted by minicncuser View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Get a couple of guys to help hold it, the laser gets heavy holding it upside down