584,858 active members*
4,307 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > OpenSource CNC Design Center > Arduino > Russian Arduino Lead Screw Project??
Page 5 of 7 34567

Re: Russian Arduino Lead Screw Project??

Is there a published schematic or circuit diagram for the Nicholai67 adapter board
    !_ELS_V7.jpg image in the firmware archive contains schematic which must be a 100% match with the shield PCB (not sure about the encoder part though). So you can match Arduino pins to the shield pins and see what goes where. And labels on he shield PCB shall probably help a lot (I see that all connectors are labeled and numbered).

Quote Originally Posted by appolaris View Post
    !_ELS_V7.jpg image in the firmware archive contains schematic which must be a 100% match with the shield PCB (not sure about the encoder part though). So you can match Arduino pins to the shield pins and see what goes where. And labels on he shield PCB shall probably help a lot (I see that all connectors are labeled and numbered).
    Thankyou appolaris, will check tonight.

Sorry Appolaris havent gone thru it yet, but cant remember seeing a circuit diagram only a PCB layout.
    Will look tonight, after work to see if there is anything needing defining.
    Mounted a cog on a big stepper last night to drive LS via change gears to the Norton gearbox.
    How much longer are u going to be avail on this forum?

Quote Originally Posted by bowcoastie View Post
    Hi Qtron,
    I haven't loaded any vs since vs 6. I am getting caught up so will be loading vs 72e or later in the next month or so. If you are only doing the lead-screw and not the cross-slide, then the lite versions seem to make sense. I would just do the full version as Appolaris says, it will be better supported.

Regards,
    Bruce
    Hi Bruce, hope u r OK, been quiet on this thread!
    U interested in the nicholai67 adapter board.. i got some spares.

Quote Originally Posted by qtronpowerson View Post
    Sorry Appolaris havent gone thru it yet, but cant remember seeing a circuit diagram only a PCB layout.
    Will look tonight, after work to see if there is anything needing defining.
    Mounted a cog on a big stepper last night to drive LS via change gears to the Norton gearbox.
    Hi Qtron,
    Right, there is no diagram for the shield PCB specifically, but there is that diagram which shows how Mega is connected to external components (buttons, LEDs, resistors etc.) and from there we can see what goes where (and labels on the PCB are helpful). I don't think there is anything else available (and probably not needed?).

I will stay for some time, at least we shall help Bruce to translate remaining comments in the source code.

Hi Qtron,
    Right, there is no diagram for the shield PCB specifically, but there is that diagram which shows how Mega is connected to external components (buttons, LEDs, resistors etc.) and from there we can see what goes where (and labels on the PCB are helpful). I don't think there is anything else available (and probably not needed?).

I will stay for some time, at least we shall help Bruce to translate remaining comments in the source code.
    Hi.Appolaris,
    Glad ur helping Bruce, I guess I may need bits of the code comments in English too so that I can tweak those calculation parts to get it working with my setup.
    I'm sure Bruce will share

The User manual translation is not right either, but thats a big ask to do the whole thing.
    Some of it is OK, but some phrases are Google nonsense! & hard to unpick.
    Am not sure where Bruce is with it.
    Re the adapter board,
    After carefully looking at the PCB, & just finished buying connectors, switches etc, I feel more confident re this adapter board and its connections.
    But, ..how does the encoder connect to the mega, if u don't use the LM2903 buffer? Do u simply fit wire links between pins 2 ,1 , & 6,7 ?
    Thankyou!

But, ..how does the encoder connect to the mega, if u don't use the LM2903 buffer? Do u simply fit wire links between pins 2 ,1 , & 6,7 ?
    See some text of the PCB translated to English (attached).

So, as far as I understand, if your encoder outputs square wave signal you don't solder any circuits in that area of the PCB (no LM2903 comparators, no 22k resistors) and just short those two pairs of holes (around "But solder 2 jumpers" text). But I recommend you to trace tracks and pins and make sure that it will result in a proper connections (I don't have PCB at hands so can only check pictures on the website). You want A & B encoder outputs to be connected directly to the pins 20, 21, 47 of the Mega (as per diagram).

See some text of the PCB translated to English (attached).

So, as far as I understand, if your encoder outputs square wave signal you don't solder any circuits in that area of the PCB (no LM2903 comparators, no 22k resistors) and just short those two pairs of holes (around "But solder 2 jumpers" text). But I recommend you to trace tracks and pins and make sure that it will result in a proper connections (I don't have PCB at hands so can only check pictures on the website). You want A & B encoder outputs to be connected directly to the pins 20, 21, 47 of the Mega (as per diagram).
    THANKYOU again Appolaris for your time, yes will sus out pins.
    Now I know what those words are on the pcb
    Was given a used professional hi spec'd encoder, need to ensure it works, but is worth big $ new!
    Another piece in puzzle solved

Hi Appolaris,
    thanks for the answer re 4000 count encoder being ok at 1500 RPM max.
    My PM disappeared:- Would a 400 PPR encoder be too coarse or cause a "gritty" thread?
    Also, on Oleg's circuit diagram for the Mega2560, the switch labelled "External, Internal, Manual", could U please clarify .. I think internal means Automatic?
    but am unsure of what those functions do.
    Thanks,
    Qtronpowerson.

Good day Qrton,
    I hope you enjoyed your rain. The RGI is the hand wheel. The axis he is talking about is whether the X or Z is selected. I figured that out while I was commenting the code.

I'll leave the proper translation of the posts to Appolaris.

Take Care, Bruce
    Appolaris gone quiet.
    Bruce gone quiet.. all quiet! Anyone home?!!
    Here is my update pic of the controller, i had a mystery button unlabelled - the Select one, on the top panel, its part of the Menu Buttons function.

The Mega seems to work, (albeit not fully tested) despite my attempt to kill it with the wrong shield.. never found out which shield was referred to tho, in Oleg's warning.. the display shield or Nicholai67.

BTW, re that "L" Led on the Mega board, to pin 13. It still flashes, so i can only presume its normal, and not an indication of abuse during programming with the wrong shield. ( I just wished that there was a note about that on Chipmaker.ru)

The Nicholai67 board VERY well designed, his layout is good, managed to fit all those connectors on.. but its like wiring up a power substation!
    The display to the mega seems straight forward until U take into account the IDC header pin numbers vs the Arduino no's on the nicholai67 adapter board - care needed here..
    There's only 9 wires required to drive the display, but the extra earths & Led VCC need connecting up - i did that on the display.
    A 500 ohm R was connected between VCC & Anode of the backlight, as the board has a default R of just 100 ohms, a bit vicious on the backlighting LED.
    Await the delayed shipping from china for the stepper servo driver to implement - hopefully my chosen stepper will have enough steam to drive the lathe LS via the change gears,
    a method i hope works, enabling stepper disengagement for 'natural' lathe operation, should magic smoke come out of something.

Hello Hans,
    Your English is much better than my Dutch :cheers:

Port 43 is an output for the tachometer which is a separate project that Oleg (the Russian who is the primary designer) has made. I am not connecting anything to it at the moment.

Please be aware that there is a bug in the program on the port for the lead screw in that it is missing a 1. It should read as follows:
    #define Motor_Init() DDRL=B11111011 // Is configured as an output, PL2 input T5

I will be posting more information on the ELS group on Yahoo, hopefully this weekend.

Groeten,
    Bruce
    hiya Bruce,
    i meant to comment on this post re the Tacho.
    Not tested it, but see https://www.codrey.com/arduino-proje...no-tachometer/
    Not needed as the encoder supplies the Tach via the Mega, but if wanted for another app, the proximity sensor is CHEEEP! https://www.ebay.com/p/1329249174
    cheers,
    Qtronpowerson.

Hi Qtron,
    Would a 400 PPR encoder be too coarse or cause a "gritty" thread?
    Don't know, guess depends on the diameter, pitch, material etc. I see that most people are using 1000+ PPR so that may say something.

Also, on Oleg's circuit diagram for the Mega2560, the switch labelled "External, Internal, Manual", could U please clarify .. I think internal means Automatic?
    but am unsure of what those functions do.
    This "External, Internal, Manual" switch sets how auto feed works for threading and cutting when you have motor on the cross slide screw.
    Like when you want to cut thread in fully automatic mode (with motors on 2 axes) you choose whether you want to cut internal thread or external thread (it defines which direction cross slide is moved on each pass). Same for multi-pass machining in automatic mode. So if you don't have motor on the cross slide - this switch will not be of any help. At least that's how I understand it.

Post #3 here https://www.chipmaker.ru/topic/11808...omment-1930024 has detailed description of how modes work and refers to this sub-modes as "Ext", "Int", and "Man".

Again, I think it shall be "Manual" unless you have second motor on the cross slide.

Hi Qtron,

Don't know, guess depends on the diameter, pitch, material etc. I see that most people are using 1000+ PPR so that may say something.

This "External, Internal, Manual" switch sets how auto feed works for threading and cutting when you have motor on the cross slide screw.
    Like when you want to cut thread in fully automatic mode (with motors on 2 axes) you choose whether you want to cut internal thread or external thread (it defines which direction cross slide is moved on each pass). Same for multi-pass machining in automatic mode. So if you don't have motor on the cross slide - this switch will not be of any help. At least that's how I understand it.

Post #3 here https://www.chipmaker.ru/topic/11808...omment-1930024 has detailed description of how modes work and refers to this sub-modes as "Ext", "Int", and "Man".

Again, I think it shall be "Manual" unless you have second motor on the cross slide.
    THANKS Appolaris,
    I definitely building the 7e2 as my updated picture above is all about that so yes will be able to cut internal threads - thanks for that & the link too.
    Getting closer now but 'burning wick at both ends', lots of input happening to make it go. A hold up being now, sourcing the MPG. Banggood.com is out of stock atm, & ebay suppliers are sus.!
    BTW, is the middle, unused position of the AXIS switch, as per cct diagram meant as a 'parking' position so that the axis cant be changed?
    I looked up that reference link, thanks,
    it says: "4-re limit buttons, limits are set only when the joystick is neutral and the "sub-Mode" switch is neutral"..
    Looking at the cct. Diagram, there is no 'Neutral' setting!

it says: "4-re limit buttons, limits are set only when the joystick is neutral and the "sub-Mode" switch is neutral"..
    Looking at the cct. Diagram, there is no 'Neutral' setting!
    I'm pretty sure "neutral" here means "manual" sub-mode (some inconsistency in terms?), nether "external" nor "internal".

google at it again!?!
    maybe tricky for google, or maybe Oleg's words imprecise, i dunno but thankyou again.
    BTW, is the middle, unused position of the AXIS switch, as per cct diagram meant as a 'parking' position so that the axis cant be accidentally changed? or cct. error?
    cheers,

Yeah, there may be some slack in terms (remember that it's a non-commercial project done by enthusiasts!).
    I don't really know about middle unused AXIS switch position (and couldn't find an answer quickly) but I think your idea makes sense.

Yes i am VERY grateful for all, more than u could know. If i had Olegs email i' d arrange to assist financially.
    Able to do electronics workbench testing soon and when servo stepper drivers arrive will test on lathe but much to do first.
    One thing needed is anti crash limit switches fitted to disable drivers,, i have seen an otherwise sound cnc machine make a mess and learned from that.
    Thankyou for looking re axis switch cct.

Hiya Appolaris, am awaiting some parts from China, this 'Novel' Coronavirus seems to be impacting deliveries - a bit frustarting, but understandable, altho I hear its not as contagious as the Flu!
    (but apparently more nasty).

Hi Appolaris, how are U?
    Hope you are still watching this thread..
    Just wanted to let U know preliminary tests seem to indicate all is OK.
    Earlier you indicated Bruce was translating the manual, do you know if that is being published somewhere?
    Incidentally I did a quick compare between the Nicholai67 adapter board (it arrived first from JLCPCB), & OilMajor's..
    the only real diff is that the former is the same form factor or shape as the Mega, apart from that, and slight diff re the encoder buffer setup, all else seems the same.

Hello Qtron,
    For some reason I stopped getting updates on this thread. I'll have to check it more often. Attached are the machine translated instructions as of 11 Jan 2020. I'll have some time next week to look at it.

Page 5 of 7 34567