584,842 active members*
4,214 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Uncategorised CAD Discussion > Best alternative to Fusion 360 ??

Best alternative to Fusion 360 ??

Just retired and setting up my little hobby machine shop. I had always assumed I'd use Fusion 360 since it seemed to be the package suggested on every forum I ever read. However, they've changed the rules and started rent-seeking behaviour on hobbyists, and I'm not a huge fan of being tied to cloud-based products either.

So, I'm after suggestions for alternatives. I have ZERO interest is running Linux, so LinuxCNC is out.

Probably should list my equipment and intended usage, so the replies are targeted accurately.

1. I have a 7 x 12 mini-lathe which will probably be converted to CNC eventually.
    2. I am a retired electronics guy, and will want to be able to route PCBs. To that end I bought a 3018 CNC router.
    3. I am designing a plastics injection moulding machine, so will need to be able to mill out aluminium dies on the 3018 as well.

I've already downloaded the Siemens Solid Edge Community Edition, but sadly it doesn't appear to have CAM integrated, that's a separate package. However I did spend 10 years running a lasercutting business in the 80s and wrote raw GCode so crude conversion programs may be an option.

Any non-cloud and preferrably free option will be considered. I'm not running a business here and my pension won't stretch to commercial offerings.

If you suggest something, please tell me WHY you think it's a good choice.

Cheers,

Rob

Re: Best alternative to Fusion 360 ??

Brain fade. I forgot to mention that I also have a 3D printer. I plan to use Ultimaker Cura with that, but it would be nice if whatever is suggested also worked with it.

The 3D printer I have is a delta style device, although the name ecapes me. I haven't even opened the box yet. Mini Kossel maybe?

Hi Rob - Look at FreeCAD. It has a CAM module and various other interesting stuff. Its getting better and better and will always be free. Peter

I have two low cost options for you.

The first is to join the Experimemtal Aircraft Association EAA for $40 per year. This gives you access to one year of Solidworks Education Premium. This is a full featured version of Solidworks which also has 2.5 D integrated CAM.
    https://www.eaa.org/eaa/eaa-membersh...esource-center

The second option is to sign up for a one year educational access to Autodesk software, which incidentally includes access to Fusion360. I am a retired engineer taking just a single class at the local community college, and I was able to sign up for the Autodesk educational access. Alternatively you could get access if your children are in high school or college.
    https://www.autodesk.com/education/e...eatured&page=1

Hi Rob- Here's some free CAD alternatives - Peter

https://www.sculpteo.com/en/3d-learn...are-selection/

I do wonder how many overseas members of the EAA sign up just for the bargain access to Solid Works.

I've played around with FreeCAD some, and it is somewhat useful. But it has a very steep learning curve, and will take a significant effort to learn enough to become proficient at using it. Your time might be better spent working at learning something else.

My main reason for learning Freecad was to use it's ability to generate some basic HSM or adaptive clearing type G-code for milling some aluminum parts. And with a bit of work I was able to make it do it.

While Linuxcnc is a great program it is not CAD or CAM software and would be of no use to you as such. Linuxcnc is a machine control, and would only be useful for building or retrofitting a CNC. If you are considering CNCing a lath, you might want to reconsider your no Linux attitude for that project. I've heard there are no controls that do Lathe CNC better than Linuxcnc at the hobby price level. (but I've never worked with Lathes, just routers and mills.)

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Hi Rob - Look at FreeCAD. It has a CAM module and various other interesting stuff. Its getting better and better and will always be free. Peter
    Hi Pete, I've installed FreeCAD, NanoCAD, OpenSCAD and a bunch of other stuff so far. Since I'm now building a batch of BuildBotics controllers from parts I'll probably end up using their CAMotics software.

My range of machines is rapidly expanding as well. I started building a laser cutting machine after finding out that the lead time for a Chinese K50-style box is 3 months, but then discovered a used 1325 bed of 2011 vintage for sale. It needs a new laser and being 11 years old and Chinese the controller will be rubbish, but finding someone to truck it 532km to my place is the bigger issue for the moment. Wouldn't have a flat-top with a crane by any chance? :-)

And since I'm now doing SMD stuff a pick-and-place machine isn't out of the question either.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Zuercher View Post
    While Linuxcnc is a great program it is not CAD or CAM software and would be of no use to you as such. Linuxcnc is a machine control, and would only be useful for building or retrofitting a CNC. If you are considering CNCing a lath, you might want to reconsider your no Linux attitude for that project. I've heard there are no controls that do Lathe CNC better than Linuxcnc at the hobby price level. (but I've never worked with Lathes, just routers and mills.)
    I have no inherent dislike of Linux, it's just frobitty to use. My first experience with it was 1993 when I bought a green CD copy of the Slackware distribution. I gave that away years ago but still have the blue 1994 CD, which was the first with the v1.0 kernel from memory. It has slowly become more usable over the years but my objection is mostly with Linux programmers. Many is the time I've had to abandon a project because of Linux dependency hell, and the lack of documentation for what exact platform will actually build a wanted package. And the thing is they don't give a damn, it's looked upon as some sort of a badge of honour for Linux code to be obscure and impossible to replicate.

As far as the hardware goes I'm tending towards designing and building my own. There's a lot of rubbish out there, especially from China. Something that runs off a Raspberry Pi via wi-fi probably. I need to keep my hand in on hardware design or all those years as a computer engineer will fade into the mists, which becomes a real issue at my age. I don't mind using Linux on the Pi, at least the RasPi guys know what they're doing and supply proper documentation.

I partly agree about the tendency of Linux enthusiasts to set obstacles in the way of the uninitiated,hence the comparative lack of uptake.I also slightly despair of the people who tried Linux in the days when Windows 95 was new and shiny and expect to find the same Linux environment waiting to engulf them today.It isn't necessarily like that and I really recommend trying a recent version of a popular distro to get a feel for it.It so happens that LinuxCNC can be run as a live install-either from an optical disk or a usb stick-so that you can road test the system with no after effects if you don't get along with it.

As it happens,I use LinuxCNC to control my hobby router and despite advice not to run any other applications with it,I use the same Vista era Dell Optiplex to listen to online radio while working and have downloaded Freecad so that I can revise or even design parts without moving from the machine.Freecad is becoming more capable with each passing month but without some prior experience of parametric modelling it would be daunting.I like the complete freedom from losing control to the company using it as bait to lure users and there is no telling what sort of capability will show up next.I recommend spending an evening or two watching youtube tutorials from Joko Engineering or Mango Jelly to get a grasp of the basics.I don't have specific knowledge of any tutorials related to lathes because I don't have one-yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by routalot View Post
    I partly agree about the tendency of Linux enthusiasts to set obstacles in the way of the uninitiated,hence the comparative lack of uptake.I also slightly despair of the people who tried Linux in the days when Windows 95 was new and shiny and expect to find the same Linux environment waiting to engulf them today.It isn't necessarily like that and I really recommend trying a recent version of a popular distro to get a feel for it.It so happens that LinuxCNC can be run as a live install-either from an optical disk or a usb stick-so that you can road test the system with no after effects if you don't get along with it.
    It's a pretty silly person who would think I tried it in then 90s and never used it again. In fact I was working on some Raspberry Pi code earlier today. I just don't buy into the philosophy, because the whole of Linux is full of insular prima donnas.

The lathe is probably the last thing that will go full CNC. I have a feedscrew upgrade kit from a YouTuber called Clough42 and that's probably as far as it will go. My laser and router and far more important and they're simple 2.5 axis controls.

Hi,
    I have a Fusion 360 subscription and happy enough with it.

Like you I was not happy about a subscription model, however I've come to realise the price is right, and so I am neutral about it. I don't much care for the cloud based either.
    If the internet slows or is unavailable your'e screwed, and thats a PITA when you are working. Having said that it does work pretty well.

The real advantage of Fusion is that it has integrated CAD/CAM, it has an Electronics module which I use extensively, it has a FEA (Finite Element Analysis) module which I use occasionally and
    dynamic modelling which I have not used. Autodesk have tried to make it a one stop shop and done a pretty good job.

Just about all of the CAD/CAM software manufacturers offer a free version for hobbyists, but are severely restricted. Next step up they offer an entry level perpetual license for in the
    region of $500-$600. The restrictions are such that these are less capable than Fusion. The next step up again is their entry Pro level package for around $1500 to $2000 (perpetual). These packages
    are competing feature for feature with Fusion, and are really Fusions true competitors. Fusions subscription ($500 per year) is about the same price as the competing perpetual licenses over a three year period.

I am fairly happy then with the cost of Fusion, it compares well with its true competition and has more features Electronics/PCB, FEA etc. Additionally I will always have access to updates and fixes
    which cost extra with all the competing software, or you risk having your software getting so out-of-date over three or four years that you might have to re-purchase just to stay in touch.

May I suggest that your aversion to cloud based subscription software, is while understandable....I share it, it may also put you off the best solution out there. Autodesk offer very much reduced
    prices for new customers. When I signed up I paid $375NZD ($250USD) for one year...and that's pretty good value. I suggest take their best deal and run with it for a year and see if you like it.

Craig

For hobby (noncommercial) use the best alternative to Fusion 360 is Solid Edge Community Edition - Link

There are no restrictions on the 3D modeling functionality. It is the same as the commercial version. It works offline and it is significantly more mature and powerful than Fusion 360. The only restrictions are: you can't exchange files with the commercial version, you can't install commercial plugins and there is a watermark on the exported PDF drawings. It doesn't offer CAM, however.

If you need the CAM functionality you could export the models (STEP) to Fusion 360.

I'll put in another plug for Fusion 360 for hobbyists. It's almost the same as the paid version but rapids are limited and it seems like there may be a couple other features left off. I use the paid version but have some friends locally who use the hobby version for CNC work and 3D printing - neither have complaints about the software and said they don't notice any restrictions.
    David
    Romans 3:23
    Etsy shop opened 12/1/17 - CurlyWoodShop

Hi difalkner,
    there seems to be quite a widespread dislike of Autodesk and Autodesk products, perhaps in a similar manner that there is a dislike of Microsoft.
    To be honest I felt that way myself, and yet I have become if not a fan, certainly have grudging respect, for Fusion 360. In fairly recent (a few months ago)
    I bought an introductory offer for Fusion Machining Extensions. They cost $1200/year, and that's on top of the basic Fusion subscription....so not at all cheap.

Before doing so I looked around at all the credible alternatives that gave me continuous four and five axis, including MasterCam, Siemens NXcam, VisualCAM, GibbsCAM.
    All were significantly more expensive than Fusion +Machining Extensions. Most are perpetual licenses, but all had annual fees, in most case optional. With such high value
    products I would have thought the annual fees mandatory...who would want a $10,000 software purchase to slip out of date? Even without the annual fees the Fusion +Machining Extensions
    is still cheaper, and with the annual fees wins (on cost) hands down.

The Machining Extensions subscription becomes due towards the end of July, and I won't have the option of the introductory offer, so it will be the full$1600USD which converts to
    $2540NZD and I'll have to pay GST, an NZ sales tax on that for a total of $2920NZD. I'm really hoping my business can pick this up.......or it will be out of my pocket!

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by joeavaerage View Post
    The Machining Extensions subscription becomes due towards the end of July, and I won't have the option of the introductory offer, so it will be the full$1600USD which converts to
    $2540NZD and I'll have to pay GST, an NZ sales tax on that for a total of $2920NZD. I'm really hoping my business can pick this up.......or it will be out of my pocket!

Craig
    Wow! That's about like the other software I use for when there's a lot of text, Carveco (F360 isn't great at text past a few characters). I bought Carveco during the introductory period at $1,600 USD. It's now $8,000 USD with $1,600 annual maintenance - unreal! I have chosen not to do any maintenance because I'm basically a hobbyist even though we run this as a business paying taxes, reporting all income, etc. I do the annual subscription for F360 but haven't bought any extensions.
    David

Hi,

I do the annual subscription for F360 but haven't bought any extensions.
    The Extensions, and there are lots of them, are not cheap. The one I'm looking at is continuous four and five axis....and thats not cheap from ANY manufacturer. In fact I'm of the opinion,
    subject to debate of course, that Fusions Machining Extensions are the cheapest continuous four and five axis CAM out there.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by joeavaerage View Post
    Hi,

The Extensions, and there are lots of them, are not cheap. The one I'm looking at is continuous four and five axis....and thats not cheap from ANY manufacturer. In fact I'm of the opinion,
    subject to debate of course, that Fusions Machining Extensions are the cheapest continuous four and five axis CAM out there.

Craig
    At this point I have yet to build out my rotary axis so the standard F360 suits me perfectly. At some point that may change, though.
    David

Hi,
    as a result of another thread I have come to learn that VisualCAM Expert, $2500 (perpetual) has continuous four axis. The next step up is $5000 for indexing fifth axis and $10,000 for
    Premium which has continuous four and five axis.

If you want continuous four axis only VisualCAM is worth a look, for genuine continuous four and five axis Fusion Machining Extensions is it.

For woodworking, DeskProto may be a better option. It also offers continuous 4-axis milling. The commercial license is around $1000 and the noncommercial one is $250. These are perpetual licenses.
    It is very stable, generates high-quality paths, and offers a lot of milling strategies.