584,858 active members*
4,662 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Viper Servo drives > Will your step to linear adapter work with Acorn?

Will your step to linear adapter work with Acorn?

I'm doing a cnc retrofit with a centroid acorn control and would like to keep my old analog servo motor controllers. Will your step to linear board work with the acorn system? Also will it work to control spindle servo motors as well?

Re: Will your step to linear adapter work with Acorn?

Quote Originally Posted by setlab View Post
    I'm doing a cnc retrofit with a centroid acorn control and would like to keep my old analog servo motor controllers. Will your step to linear board work with the acorn system? Also will it work to control spindle servo motors as well?
    What Board are you looking at, more details needed, the Acorn is only step/dir for 4 axis, your analog drives need +/- 10v Centroid do make a more expensive control for analog drives
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    What Board are you looking at, more details needed, the Acorn is only step/dir for 4 axis, your analog drives need +/- 10v Centroid do make a more expensive control for analog drives
    I'm learning as I go, but isn't that exactly what step to linear does? Take digital step/direction signal and convert it to analog +10/-10v? I prematurely bought a centroid acorn board before I knew the existing servo drivers I had wouldn't work because they were analog signal input. Buying 4 step2linear adapters seems like the perfect solution. As a runner up the viper 200 H servo drivers look like a great fit too, but at twice the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by setlab View Post
    I'm learning as I go, but isn't that exactly what step to linear does? Take digital step/direction signal and convert it to analog +10/-10v? I prematurely bought a centroid acorn board before I knew the existing servo drivers I had wouldn't work because they were analog signal input. Buying 4 step2linear adapters seems like the perfect solution. As a runner up the viper 200 H servo drivers look like a great fit too, but at twice the cost.
    Viper has been quiet for some time I'm not sure if they completed that project if they have that may be an option, I would not use there drives though as I know of people that had trouble with them , Dynomotion control you could look at but not a walk in the park for setup, but have good support, Linuxcnc and Mesa is good also, there are a few that can do what you want but it may be easier to change the motors and drives and use the Acorn

DMM Ac servos are a good choice if you have to change, for what you want to do and work well with Acorn
    Mactec54