584,866 active members*
5,090 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Local versus Remote RS232 & Ethernet Comms

Local versus Remote RS232 & Ethernet Comms

We have two Mori Seikis at work with MSX501 controls and MAPPS, they are configured to to talk to the "local" RS232, I cannot figure out how to get them to talk to the remote RS232, the one(s) that are in the control cabinet. I have figured out how to get to the parameter settings that familiar to me in the Fanuc controls. I don't know which Fanuc controls these are, I have asked our Mori dealer (Ellison) and they did not know. The connector in the operator pendant that the "local" RS232 is connected to is labeled CN4 on the Fanuc (display) module, it is also near an Ethernet port that I am able to configure and ping... more on that later. The "remote" port is wired to our program transfer system, but it doesn't work presently and no one remembers for sure if it ever did.

In the MAPPS screen for I/O config I can see a menu choice for RS232 (which is the local port) and I can select and configure that one... also there are two ports listed under the RS232 filed, Port 1 is "active" and is the one that is currently working... Port 2 is not selectable. Next to the RS232 (local) is RS232 (Remote)... I cannot select it to configure. Next is Memory Card and finally Network (I think, perhaps it called Ethernet, I can't remember right now). I can select and use the Memory Card, I can select the Network, however, I am not sure if this Network is a Data Server option, I suspect it is, or it if is the Embedded Ethernet, which is standard. I do see in Settings some references to the Data Server.

OK, all that as a background to... I just don't know enough about the 'ports' and I/O channels in Fanuc to know what to try to get this working. In the control cabinet, on the main module, there are two RS232 ports, one of which has the standard Fanuc cable that converts to a DB25 connector, the second one is not connected. I will have to post back about how those are labeled.

I know there is some kind of delineation between program transfer and DNC, I want to just transfer programs, DNC is not something we do...

That same module has the standard Ethernet port that all of the "i" series Fanuc's seem to have. Whatever this module is, it seems to handle the I/O. Since this has an RS232 port cabled from the factory, I just have to believe that I should be able to use it for I/O. But, so far, I have not figured out how to activate it. Any ideas? Anyone really up on the I/O Channel & Port settings? What about Ethernet? Anyone using it for program transfer? We have JobPack at work but I can test it with Putty or TeraTerm...

Thanks in advance,
    Gary
    -making chips since '78
    -C, Pascal, Assembler, G-Code, Post Processor

Here is the skinny, mapps is a pc overlay over the fanuc. What this means to you is mapps is only configured to run the front port, the rear (cabinet) is for dprint statements from the fanuc. Since mapps uses a hssb board (fiber optic) to the fanuc, programs get loaded in to the pc side(mapps) and is instantly transferred through the fiber optic side to the fanuc, unless you have to control configured to run programs from the mapps side. Some, and we do all the time, run through the mapps memory, since there is a lot more memory on the mapps side. We run 50mb+ programs all the time. The network is essentially the same deal, we got mori server with our machines, but I believe ours are a little newer, with the USB connection (mapps3) and mapps 4 (latest one). Easiest way around this is to unhook the db25 in the front and push it in to the op panel, and wire your cable in that way.

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    Here is the skinny, mapps is a pc overlay over the fanuc. What this means to you is mapps is only configured to run the front port, the rear (cabinet) is for dprint statements from the fanuc. Since mapps uses a hssb board (fiber optic) to the fanuc, programs get loaded in to the pc side(mapps) and is instantly transferred through the fiber optic side to the fanuc, unless you have to control configured to run programs from the mapps side. Some, and we do all the time, run through the mapps memory, since there is a lot more memory on the mapps side. We run 50mb+ programs all the time. The network is essentially the same deal, we got mori server with our machines, but I believe ours are a little newer, with the USB connection (mapps3) and mapps 4 (latest one). Easiest way around this is to unhook the db25 in the front and push it in to the op panel, and wire your cable in that way.
    Thanks for the explanation, I think I understand what you are saying, the PC is running the front end and transferring to the Fanuc CNC... about rerouting the cable, I was hoping to avoid that method because it looks like it's gonna be a PITA to snake a cable from the OP panel back to the CNC, but at least it is something that I do understand.

However, I am not clear on the Ethernet part... since it originates in the pendant (MAPPS - frontend) can I use it successfully for program transfer? There already is a cable that Mori ran back to the CNC... or is it only for monitoring, etc?

-Gary
    -making chips since '78

Quote Originally Posted by ttx336 View Post
    Thanks for the explanation, I think I understand what you are saying, the PC is running the front end and transferring to the Fanuc CNC... about rerouting the cable, I was hoping to avoid that method because it looks like it's gonna be a PITA to snake a cable from the OP panel back to the CNC, but at least it is something that I do understand.

However, I am not clear on the Ethernet part... since it originates in the pendant (MAPPS - frontend) can I use it successfully for program transfer? There already is a cable that Mori ran back to the CNC... or is it only for monitoring, etc?

-Gary
    Ok, here is what I have learned so far... I have the RS232 in the control cabinet sending programs from the NC side, I keep getting a 071 alarm (or error?) when I try to read in a program from that port and the error message says "Data not found"... I have not resolved that yet. But at least I have gotten a little further, it seems like I may be able to get this working.

Now, for the Embedded Ethernet... I have it setup to the point that I can ping it but I cannot determine whether or not I will be able to use it for program transfer yet or not. I have learned from another user on here that I may be able to use the "Mori Server software" to use the Ethernet on the PC side, if that works I will likely stick with that. I cannot find any ftp softkeys like I see in our Toyoda (with a 31i), otherwise I think I'd be all set with the Embedded Ethernet. ftp is quick and easy... I am using Filezilla for server software for the Toyoda, it seems that the Mori MAPPS must not be ftp because it doesn't connect with Filezilla. I worked with this for quite a while today, trying different interface and device numbers but nothing ever came up for the Ethernet port... only 0 to 3 were my options. I am going to do a little checking to see if perhaps the Ethernet interface needs to be activated for program transfer or something. In the Toyoda's 31i, you don't see any ftp softkeys until you set the I/O to 9, 5 is for Ethernet Server, by the way.

Little by little...
    -making chips since '78

Re: Local versus Remote RS232 & Ethernet Comms

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    I know this is an old thread but I was reading through them because we are having a hell of a time getting our mori's back on the server. We were hit with a china virus and lost our servers. After getting severs back online our mori mills would no longer see the server no matter what we try. I used mori server software and can see the programs in the machine from the pc but only on the nc side or smaller memory side but not the mapps side. but cant see the pc from the data server on the cnc. So I was searching for a way to move large programs from usb and card slot straight into mapps memory.

Re: Local versus Remote RS232 & Ethernet Comms

I am not an expert but this is something I had to do recently so it might help you. We do not have Mori (lathes ?) but an Amada turret punch machine with a Fanuc 18i CNC.

I recently connected this machine to our local network. We do not have a server, so we connect to different machines, either by FTP or the "Open Communication software for fanuc" which you can download from different places. It is shareware but it works right away and it is cheap if you want to buy it. I learned about it in this post https://www.cnczone.com/forums/fanuc/325356-cnc.html

If you are connecting from a Windows machine, make sure that the firewall is disabled. You can enable it again later once you know which ports to use.

What I did before connecting it to the local network was to use a router (any old wifi or not wifi router you may not be using), reset the router which usually goes to 192.168.1.0 and configure the IPs to this local network. Get a laptop and connect it to the same router (alternatively you could connect the CNC to the machine but this requires a different cable). Once you have PC to machine connection the rest should be easier.

Hope this helps.