584,833 active members*
5,491 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

MAZAK repeatability

Hi Guys/Girls, It's been a while since I posted a question on here

I am currently working at a place that has mostly MAZAK machines, ranging from QT360 lathes and VCN530 through to 5-axis J500,I500,I600 milling machines, Integrex I200 lathe/mill and I630,I800 mill/turn machines.

my question is this....

without seeing a drawing or knowing material, what is the repeatability of these machines tolerance wise??

e.g, could you hold and maintain a 0.01mm-0.02mm tolerance using these machines?...majority of these machines are less than 7 years old and have NEVER done any heavy-cutting...always tickled away at material.

If someone walks into your machine shop and asks what kind of tolerances you can work to, what is your answer going to be?

thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by kobra_wizzard View Post
    Hi Guys/Girls, It's been a while since I posted a question on here

I am currently working at a place that has mostly MAZAK machines, ranging from QT360 lathes and VCN530 through to 5-axis J500,I500,I600 milling machines, Integrex I200 lathe/mill and I630,I800 mill/turn machines.

my question is this....

without seeing a drawing or knowing material, what is the repeatability of these machines tolerance wise??

e.g, could you hold and maintain a 0.01mm-0.02mm tolerance using these machines?...majority of these machines are less than 7 years old and have NEVER done any heavy-cutting...always tickled away at material.

If someone walks into your machine shop and asks what kind of tolerances you can work to, what is your answer going to be?

thanks in advance
    Provided that machines have been serviced and geometry, bearings, belts, backlash settings etc are all correct to machine delivery tolerances, you should comfortably hold 0.005" (0.01mm) or better.

Mazak would quote half that, but realistically I would say not in general terms.

Re: MAZAK repeatability

Don't forget to take into consideration that it's not just the machines that hold tolerances. How well is temperature controlled in the shop? What about coolant temp? It's also about what tools are used and how they are applied. Workholding. You name it.