584,871 active members*
5,253 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > Anyone considering the centroid Acorn instead of path pilot?
Page 2 of 6 1234

Re: Anyone considering the centroid Acorn instead of path pilot?

You still need stepper drives, but you don't need a breakout board.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by kvom View Post
    So to clear up my understanding of Acorn, does it provide the functions of BoB and motor drives for step-dir motors?
    Though it may not be completely accurate, I think of the Acorn board as a combination ESS and BOB. The Acorn has an on board CPU which handles motion control. Like the ESS it takes a load off of the PC CPU.

CJ

Sent from my XT1094 using Tapatalk

So to clear up my understanding of Acorn, does it provide the functions of BoB and motor drives for step-dir motors?
    The graphic on the Acorn page at the Centroid website doesn't show the drivers between the board and the stepper/servo motors. This could lead one to infer that the board replaces the drivers. It doesn't.

CJ

So given that on my NM200, which has the BoB and drives mounted together, interfacing the Acorn would mean bypassing the BoB, wiring it to the drives, and also wiring the 0-10V spindle control to the Acorn. That said, maybe the BoB would just pass the step and dir signals through.

I'd still need a PC and the Centroid software.

Probably not a good choice for me given the relative ease of the PP hardware which was just a DB25 cable between the Mesa card and the BoB. Obviously the software integration took some effort, but that's more in my sweet spot than wiring. The components for the Torus are probably easier to work with then what I have. In any case I'm very satisfied with PP.

Hi Kvon, Best way to get a handle on everything is to go to the www.http://centroidcncforum.com/ Just click on the Acorn forum when you get there.

There are videos there and a lot of info. You do need drivers for sure and it can hook up stepper or servos.

Quote Originally Posted by Krenovian View Post
    The graphic on the Acorn page at the Centroid website doesn't show the drivers between the board and the stepper/servo motors. This could lead one to infer that the board replaces the drivers. It doesn't.

CJ

The reason they don't show the drivers is because they have pictures of Clearpath servos and their drivers are built in. It was kind of a mistake on their part in the ad picture.

So given that on my NM200, which has the BoB and drives mounted together, interfacing the Acorn would mean bypassing the BoB, wiring it to the drives, and also wiring the 0-10V spindle control to the Acorn. That said, maybe the BoB would just pass the step and dir signals through.

I'd still need a PC and the Centroid software.

Probably not a good choice for me given the relative ease of the PP hardware which was just a DB25 cable between the Mesa card and the BoB. Obviously the software integration took some effort, but that's more in my sweet spot than wiring. The components for the Torus are probably easier to work with then what I have. In any case I'm very satisfied with PP.
    Yes, you would bypass the NM200's BOB. The wiring from the drives, and the other input and output wiring going to and from the BOB would be connected to the Acorn board.

There is at least one discussion on the Centroid CNC Forum asking about using a BOB to pass the signals through to the drives. The recommendation was to bypass the BOB as going through it might work but would make it more difficult to trouble shoot any problems which might arise.

The Acorn board would provide the 0-10v signal to the VFD to control the spindle. Depending on your needs there are three levels of software available. There is a free version packaged with the Acorn kit.

If you already have a PP installation working for you I don't think there really is much of a reason to consider the Centroid Acorn platform. I'm comfortable with the wiring involved in going with Acorn as I gutted my NM145 and rebuilt it installing Shadowspawn's conversion, a CNC4PC BOB, and a Warp9 ESS, new VFD, and two different power supplies. The only parts which remain in the cabinet from the factory are the Leadshine drives and the transformer. I have little to no experience tweaking Linux related software so a PP conversion seems more daunting to me.

CJ

Quote Originally Posted by Roadstercycle View Post
    The reason they don't show the drivers is because they have pictures of Clearpath servos and their drivers are built in. It was kind of a mistake on their part in the ad picture.
    Thanks for clearing that up. It makes sense now. I thought it was odd that they would leave drivers out of the graphic.

CJ

FWIW - I've just looked at the Acorn documentation in some detail, and see no reason it could not be fairly easily adapted to any Novakon machine. Duplicating the functionality of the off-the-shelf Novakon should be very straight-forward, and requires only some wiring changes. I would not try to keep the BOB. Just make new cables and wire the drives, spindle, limits, etc. directly to the Acorn, being careful to pay attention to signal levels, etc. The Acorn has a combination of 5V and 24V I/Os, so you must be careful how those signals are interfaced to the machine control signals, to avoid damage to either the Acorn or the machine.

The Acorn looks to me like a very nice industrial-level control, that, once properly setup, should be very robust and reliable. It also appears to be quite flexible, though is not as easy to customize as Mach3. Such is the cost of reliability.

Regards,
    Ray L.

I am happy with Path Pilot on the Pulsar and it also lacks the deep customization possibilities of Mach 3, however it runs the machine better, does not make tool change mistakes and does not forget where machine coordinates are.
    ESS also does not run out of memory or loose communication.

That last one is why I choose to use Acorn on my CRP router. I did consider PP, but could not figure out how to do a slaved axis on it. I doubt doing it the conventional way would be possible. Maybe, but I did not dig very deep.
    I basically used the Mesa card to bypass the ESS on the Pulsar. Path pilot instead of Mach 3 was a bonus.

The Acorn on the router for similar reasons.
    Lee

How is the Acorn working out so far compared to Mach3 for you lee
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

They have not sent me any notice yet that they have received the order. So not quite as well.
    I imagine they are pretty swamped with the discount pricing coming to a close.
    Lee

I wish I ordered the kit before the price hike but still, a very compelling looking kit I plan to retrofit into my Torus Pro.

Regards,

-Jason

I have the touch screen laptop and the BOB's for the ribbon cables I needed so just waiting on the good stuff now.
    I haven't yet received any notice from them other than my Payment receipt, but I will shoot them over an inquiry sometime this weekend and hopefully hear something next week.
    I will let you guys know when I do hear something.
    Lee

You may be waiting Lee, I have seen quite a few post this week of people ordering them. I just hope it is as good as what people have been saying it is.
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm probably going to put the order in myself shortly. My machine is ripped and torn apart and now seems suitable to undertake such a feat

-Jason

I don't think they send any communication out until it is ready to be shipped. I ordered an Acorn on 12/17 (Sunday) and didn't hear anything back so I called on 12/22 (Friday) to check on the status and they said it was getting shipped out that day. The person on the phone said they were pretty busy and that was before the notice of the price change. That afternoon I received an email receipt with tracking number and it was in my hands by 12/27 (Wednesday). I later ordered the Mill Pro upgrade on 12/30 (Saturday) and received the license file in less than 3 hours!

It took me longer to make the DIN rail adapters for the Acorn and included 24VDC power supply and wire them in than it did to initially configure the software/control to work with my machine (Emco PC Mill 50). My machine isn't done yet so I haven't tested the control in anger but so far I am happy with it. I currently have it working with 3 limit switches, E-Stop, spindle VFD (forward, reverse, and analog speed), and 2 axis stepper motors via a G540 (haven't hooked up the x axis motor yet).

I hope to very soon get my hands on an Acorn as well, which I will first install on the Pulsar. If it works as well as I expect, I will get another for the Torus Pro. I think the conversion will be straight-forward. For testing, I will leave all the existing wiring in place, take an old BOB, and remove all the chips, etc. leaving only the connectors I'll then solder on wires to run from the connector on the no-longer-a-BOB to the Acorn. Once the Acorn is proven, it will be a simple matter to do a PCB to take the place of the no-longer-a-BOB to clean up the interfacing.

I've already figured out how to interface my ATC to the Acorn. In fact, I can use the same proprietary 4-wire interface I've been using with the KFlop on the Torus Pro! I've also figured out how to interface a custom pendant, and even a full machine control panel, and MPG to the Acorn.

It's a remarkably flexible device. I'll start on the conversion as soon as I can get my hands on the Acorn, and should have it fully functional, including rigid tapping, in about a day!

Regards,
    Ray L.

I did receive notice and the software key just before it arrived on Monday.
    Haven't had any time to do anything with it.
    Lee

I'm still trying to decide between an acorn and path pilot. I have a friend who runs one of the higher end centroid control boards and he is very happy with it. Any one want to make a case for why one system is better than the other?

Page 2 of 6 1234