584,805 active members*
4,748 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > UCCNC Control Software > UCCNC setting up metric/inch and Diameter/radius

UCCNC setting up metric/inch and Diameter/radius

While waiting for the UC400ETH board and the UCCNC software key I have been trying to get myself familiar with the DEMO version.
    I can't seem to find the a way to switch between metric and inch or diameter and radius in the setup configuration file, I assume that it is not available in the Demo or am I overlooking it.
    Bob

Re: UCCNC setting up metric/inch and Diameter/radius

There is no metric or inch setting. Just set it up with the units that your g-code are in.
    If you need to use both inches and mm's, then you'll need two profiles with different setups.

Don 't know about the lathe stuff.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks ger21, that's good to know. Bob

Currently there is NO lathe/Turn Mode so those setting do not yet exist. Gerry covered the rest. You set it up in the units you plan to use.

(;-) TP

Did you get your UCCNC to work in inches?
    I'm looking for a checkbox in the config screen(s) but I see nothing.
    I read people are talking about changing SHORTCUTS on the Windows screen? What is that supposed to do?
    I don't know what a profile is supposed to look like. Anyone?

I have UUCNC set up on a plasma table and the 1" squares i'm cutting are VERY SMALL. as its trying to cut something near millimeters. I'm dong this build for a shop that uses Imperial ("Footric")

Another question: How do I calibrate the motor pulses to known distances like the steps per distance settings that Mach 3 has? I need to SEE this, Telling me it exists isn't an answer.
    I measure off the number of MM's in a given distance, say 4 feet, and it goes to about 5.25 feet.
    Thanks in advance!

". Just set it up with the units that your g-code are in."

What does that mean? My CAM software is in inches and the G-code is in inches (G21) but the UCCNC software keeps ignoreing the G21 and tries to cut in MM. Very frustrating.
    Can you SHOW me what you mean?
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by garym1957 View Post
    Did you get your UCCNC to work in inches?
    I'm looking for a checkbox in the config screen(s) but I see nothing.
    I read people are talking about changing SHORTCUTS on the Windows screen? What is that supposed to do?
    I don't know what a profile is supposed to look like. Anyone?

I have UUCNC set up on a plasma table and the 1" squares i'm cutting are VERY SMALL. as its trying to cut something near millimeters. I'm dong this build for a shop that uses Imperial ("Footric")

Another question: How do I calibrate the motor pulses to known distances like the steps per distance settings that Mach 3 has? I need to SEE this, Telling me it exists isn't an answer.
    I measure off the number of MM's in a given distance, say 4 feet, and it goes to about 5.25 feet.
    Thanks in advance!
    If you running imperial then set up the "steps per units" parameter for inches and that's all you have to do.
    The motor pulses to know distances is the "steps per units" parameter.
    Each axis has that parameter on the axes settings pages.
    There is also calibration button with which you can calibrate the steps per units value using movement and measurement.
    As far as I remember this all work the same as in mach3.

Hi Gary - What we are trying to say is that UCCNC is unit-less. There is no mm or inch checkbox. If you work in mm then you tell UCCNC how many steps in a mm (mm is the unit). If you work in inches then its how many steps in an inch (inch is the unit). If you work in both you set up a mm profile and a inch profile.

If you look in the [help/supported G codes] it shows you G21 is not supported... Cheers Peter S

What button, where?
    That would be so helpful. I'm using servos with __?__ number of pulses per motor revolution. Then the motor' shaft(s) feeds into A SPEED REDUCER of UNKNOWN RATIO. I have no way of knowing how many steps per inch or millimeter or whatever

Edit.
    Well I feel dumb. THAT button, THERE lol I found it.
    I had no idea this machine could move so fast. Holy cows...

THANK YOU GUYS!

The calibrate button, next to the red circle in the pic above.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by garym1957 View Post
    What button, where?
    That would be so helpful. I'm using servos with __?__ number of pulses per motor revolution. Then the motor' shaft(s) feeds into A SPEED REDUCER of UNKNOWN RATIO. I have no way of knowing how many steps per inch or millimeter or whatever
    If you don't know then you cannot make it work. Not only UCCNC, but then it will not work with any control software. It would not work with mach3/4, linuxcnc etc. For all softwares you need to know and set the steps per values to let the software know what distances to move your axes.
    As I said there is also a calibration button with which you can figure the steps per value of the axis driving mechanism.

Found that button, and its similar in function to Mach 3 which I'm familiar with. It computes the steps required for any arbitrary length, regardless of the unit. I finally get it.