584,830 active members*
5,676 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Rhinocam > IS Rhino Cam the best option for me?

IS Rhino Cam the best option for me?

I have a JCUT CNC Router that I use for carving wood helmets. Deep Z and compound curves. Its a pretty small business operation. Not my main source of income by any means

I used to have Rhino Cam 1.0 and used Rhino Cad 3.0 to do design. This worked well enough (and I wouldn't know better because I have never used anything else.) My computer died and Rhino doesn't support 1.0 any longer so I now have no Cam Software.

Just because its what is familiar I am considering purchasing Rhino Cam again (whatever the current version is.) I know it will be expensive (to me) and I will need to upgrade the Cad in some way. I have been resisting doing this wondering if anyone had advice.

I don't want to spend lots of time learning a new CAM software but if there are good ones that are cheap and good training available via youtube or something like that I would love to hear.

Re: IS Rhino Cam the best option for me?

You may find that as an old customer there will be an upgrade price that is better than a new user would get for buying the current version.You can try the demo versions to see if enough of the system you are familiar with is still there.I rate Rhino highly for both CAD and CAM and find it a big bonus to not have to export a file and then import it into a different CAM package.That kind of double translation often results in curves corrupting into dozens of small line segments and untrimmed surfaces appearing and avoiding this situation is always welcome.Its a while since I was using Rhino and the latest version will hopefully have improved even further.

Wow, wood helmets - what are they used for? I don't think there will be much if any discount available for upgrading from such an old version, but you're right - there is a lot of value in knowing how to operate a program rather than having to start over from scratch. We can give you a pretty good discount on the current Rhino-RhinoCAM package, though, and you'd get the same excellent support from Mecsoft that you'd get if you bought it directly from them.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    Wow, wood helmets - what are they used for? I don't think there will be much if any discount available for upgrading from such an old version, but you're right - there is a lot of value in knowing how to operate a program rather than having to start over from scratch. We can give you a pretty good discount on the current Rhino-RhinoCAM package, though, and you'd get the same excellent support from Mecsoft that you'd get if you bought it directly from them.
    you are a reseller?? pm me if you have prices that would be lower than mecsoft/rhino

Quote Originally Posted by danielcoyle View Post
    I have a JCUT CNC Router that I use for carving wood helmets. Deep Z and compound curves. Its a pretty small business operation. Not my main source of income by any means

I used to have Rhino Cam 1.0 and used Rhino Cad 3.0 to do design. This worked well enough (and I wouldn't know better because I have never used anything else.) My computer died and Rhino doesn't support 1.0 any longer so I now have no Cam Software.

Just because its what is familiar I am considering purchasing Rhino Cam again (whatever the current version is.) I know it will be expensive (to me) and I will need to upgrade the Cad in some way. I have been resisting doing this wondering if anyone had advice.

I don't want to spend lots of time learning a new CAM software but if there are good ones that are cheap and good training available via youtube or something like that I would love to hear.
    I'm not trying to convince you to move away from Rhino but will point out that Fusion360 would be free to you, assuming you have less than $100K in sales. There are a lot of very good tutorials around.

Quote Originally Posted by philba View Post
    I'm not trying to convince you to move away from Rhino but will point out that Fusion360 would be free to you, assuming you have less than $100K in sales. There are a lot of very good tutorials around.
    yes. i have heard that before and even tried it out. its learning a new software and cam and trying to figure out if its worth the time and the anxiety that not knowing how it will go will create of course. i am not a design geek (no insult intended) so i don't get excited about learning new design tools etc. there is a kid who uses solid works and has had a hard time getting models to work out in cam on my machine which makes me wonder if i will have that same experience if i go away from rhino. is rhino and rhino cam particularly good for what i am doing or am i just used to it?

Quote Originally Posted by danielcoyle View Post
    yes. i have heard that before and even tried it out. its learning a new software and cam and trying to figure out if its worth the time and the anxiety that not knowing how it will go will create of course. i am not a design geek (no insult intended) so i don't get excited about learning new design tools etc. there is a kid who uses solid works and has had a hard time getting models to work out in cam on my machine which makes me wonder if i will have that same experience if i go away from rhino. is rhino and rhino cam particularly good for what i am doing or am i just used to it?
    Can't answer your question but I do know that F360 CAM is pretty good and gives you a lot of control over your tool path. It's got a learning curve, though. Can't beat the price.