585,685 active members*
4,650 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Fanuc 16iA, skip input for probes

Fanuc 16iA, skip input for probes

Hello,

I have a robodrill with a 16iA control. the machine has macro B and a i/o expansion setup on it already because it has a pallet changer.

I am looking to add renishaw probes. I already have the renishaw hardware and renishaw macro gcodes.

I do not however have diagrams showing me where the skip input is. I also am curious if anyone thinks you need a high speed skip option board to run probes on a robodrill and if so, which p/n, and again how to hook this stuff up. I have what seems to be a very large stack of fanuc manuals for this machine for both the machine and the 16i control - none of which shows an electrical diagram.....

Thanks for your input on this in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by mflux_gamblej View Post
    Hello,

I have a robodrill with a 16iA control. the machine has macro B and a i/o expansion setup on it already because it has a pallet changer.

I am looking to add renishaw probes. I already have the renishaw hardware and renishaw macro gcodes.

I do not however have diagrams showing me where the skip input is. I also am curious if anyone thinks you need a high speed skip option board to run probes on a robodrill and if so, which p/n, and again how to hook this stuff up. I have what seems to be a very large stack of fanuc manuals for this machine for both the machine and the 16i control - none of which shows an electrical diagram.....

Thanks for your input on this in advance.
    I am not positive if 16iA is an option for high speed skip or not but you can use and configure just normal skip input X4.7 or other if they are not use by robodrill I/O.
    I personally always use high speed skip for probes, this is JA connector in the fanuc CPU card. I cannot remember offhand the JA# look in the fanuc manual.

Re: Fanuc 16iA, skip input for probes

Yes it's an Option through Fanuc. Post your parameters and I can tell you if you have it or not. Here is the connections for the High Speed Skip interface.

You don't need high speed skip. The standard setup from Methods with Renishaw probes uses X4.7 and a relay to swap between the tool setter and spindle probe. If you spec Blum probes they will use high speed skip.

Quote Originally Posted by drdos View Post
    Yes it's an Option through Fanuc. Post your parameters and I can tell you if you have it or not. Here is the connections for the High Speed Skip interface.
    dr dos, do you know if I need to buy an option board or if it is strictly a software option? i am aware of not posting option params to this forum, so i wont ask about which param.

Quote Originally Posted by footpetaljones View Post
    You don't need high speed skip. The standard setup from Methods with Renishaw probes uses X4.7 and a relay to swap between the tool setter and spindle probe. If you spec Blum probes they will use high speed skip.
    I can probably figure out how to tie a relay into this extended I/O block. I'm new to this fanuc 16i control (am familiar with old 6T) though and I have not gone into the input configuration screens before. any advice on how to setup an output to be tied to an M code would be much appreciated.

About the input X4.7, I don't understand where this physically is, or if once I hook up some wires, do I also need to change something in the PMC or the i/o config screens? I attached some photos here inside the control cab. I have hooked up lighting to the left side interface board on XS19 for example using the correct TE/AMP shell and crimps. I'm not sure where to hook up the regular (not high speed) skip. I didnt see a connector labeled X4.7. Will you take a photo of your probe setup if you have a robodrill with a 16i?

thanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3169.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	134.7 KB 
ID:	463004

Name:	IMG_3170.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	463006

Name:	IMG_3171.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	463008

Name:	IMG_3172.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	463010

I see this page from the connections manual, which describes X0004, Bit 7 as the skip input.

I see that the connector CE57, Pin 09B is called Xm+4.7, I assume this is related.

How does one usually break out these connections to like a terminal block or something to hook up wires in a professional looking way?

Attachment 463020Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2021-05-04 164931.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	463022

I assumed that the terminal block in the control cabinet was an option terminal block related to the pallet changer. Maybe this is not the case as all the i/o to the pallet changer goes thru honda connectors out of yellow modules. On looking closer, the connections made to the one terminal block that I have are called XT5 even though there is no label of 'XT5' near where the block is mounted. In the maintenance manual for this a-T14ia robodrill there's a page that shows connections to the terminal block called XT5.

If this is the place to hook up the probe, input X4.7 should be pin XT5-12, and it looks like you could use pin 15 or 16 for +24Vdc, pin 27 or 28 for 0Vdc. It appears that the inputs want +24V to turn the input on 'PNP' type, thats based on the previously attached screen shot which shows the pins all going to gnd internally, and switched on 24V.

So, the renishaw OMI should hook up to this existing terminal block.Attachment 463024Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3177.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	463026Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3178.jpg 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	463028

I also found this in the setup page for inputs, I set 4.7 to 'skip'.

I'll hook up a switch or something to pin 12 on that terminal block, see if I can get the input to display its status somewhere and confirm that this is XT5 and that pin 12 is for input 4.7Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3179.jpg 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	463030

this is working, that terminal block is XT5, terminal 12 is for input x4 bit 7.

I couldnt get the PMC display to show the status of this input, I hooked pins 10 and 12 together to put 24v on the input. the PMC display doesnt change.

that being said, if I run a G31 move, with pin 12 tied to pin 10 (24v), the skip behavior works, the move doesn't go more than a couple thou or something. Then with pin 12 disconnected the G31 move goes the programmed distance.

so, this is great for setting up the probe.

now I would like to know about the high speed skip option. I dont need to know which parameter turns that on... but I would like to know if I need to buy some additional hardware to use the high speed skip function, or is it as simple as putting together the correct connector and hooking that up behind the LCD panel at the front of the machine?

I'm not sure why you'd need high speed skip really.. the renishaw probes allow for a lot of overtravel and I know that the G31 function stores two positions which the skip turned on and where the motion stopped. but, if it is easy to set it up, id rather use the HS skip to get more accuracy when probing. please let me know if you're familiar with the HS skip physical setup and if you need any option boards installed

this is working, that terminal block is XT5, terminal 12 is for input x4 bit 7.

I couldnt get the PMC display to show the status of this input, I hooked pins 10 and 12 together to put 24v on the input. the PMC display doesnt change.

that being said, if I run a G31 move, with pin 12 tied to pin 10 (24v), the skip behavior works, the move doesn't go more than a couple thou or something. Then with pin 12 disconnected the G31 move goes the programmed distance.

so, this is great for setting up the probe.

now I would like to know about the high speed skip option. I dont need to know which parameter turns that on... but I would like to know if I need to buy some additional hardware to use the high speed skip function, or is it as simple as putting together the correct connector and hooking that up behind the LCD panel at the front of the machine?

I'm not sure why you'd need high speed skip really.. the renishaw probes allow for a lot of overtravel and I know that the G31 function stores two positions which the skip turned on and where the motion stopped. but, if it is easy to set it up, id rather use the HS skip to get more accuracy when probing. please let me know if you're familiar with the HS skip physical setup and if you need any option boards installed
    The high speed skip function doesn’t get processed in the ladder. The ladder can take up to 8ms to process. The high speed function gets processed by the CNC and is closer to 2ms. If that is not a concern of yours then you are good. If you want to proceed then you have everything you need hardware wise.

I have this all setup for hss, except, when you do a G31, the machine goes nowhere.

I have set the params for the skip function in the 6200 range:
    6200 00010000 (bit 4 set to 1 is skip function uses HSS signals)
    6201 00010000 (bit 4 set to 1 is 'when high speed skip function is used, SKIP (bit 7 of X004), SKIPP (bit 6 of G006), and +MIT1 to -MIT2 (bits 2 to 5 of X004) are: disabled as skip signals (0 is factory default, and enables those signals as skip signals)
    6202 00000001 (1S1 is on which corresponds to HDI0, which corresponds to the high speed skip input, pins 1 and 2 on the honda style connector) 'specify which high-speed skip signal is enabled when the G31 skip command is issued'
    9936 10010100 description not given on this forum, but those in the know should understand

I have M100 setup to be used with M110 to turn the probe on and off. This is all working, I also have verified that the SSR contact on my probe closes when you trigger the probe. That SSR is hooked up across pins 1 and 2 on the honda connector that goes on the back of the monitor.

Despite this appearing to me to be a complete setup, im not getting G31 to work correctly with the HSS.

On a related but different question, how do I monitor the state of signals on this control? I can go to the PMC, and go to 'status' and search for example for F122 which should display the status of the HSS signals. I see in that display F122, capital letters I for all bits. Nothing changes when I trip the probe, but I had this same issue trying to view the normal skip input as mentioned previously. Its like the PMC status display is not monitoring in real time, the state of bits doesnt change. How do you monitor the i.o state on a fanuc 16i PMC in real time?

Anyone who has setup HSS, am I missing something on the params? or in the hss inputs? the cable connections diagram makes it look like it should just be a switch between pins 1 and 2, when you close the contact, then that turns on the HDI0 input. There is another page in that connections manual too that describes driving the HSS input which says low is 0 to 1.0V, high is 3.6 to 11.6V, max volts is 13.6V, so thats confusing to me. do I need to arrange a 9V signal on the pin 1 side of the circuit?

I have this all setup for hss, except, when you do a G31, the machine goes nowhere.

I have set the params for the skip function in the 6200 range:
    6200 00010000 (bit 4 set to 1 is skip function uses HSS signals)
    6201 00010000 (bit 4 set to 1 is 'when high speed skip function is used, SKIP (bit 7 of X004), SKIPP (bit 6 of G006), and +MIT1 to -MIT2 (bits 2 to 5 of X004) are: disabled as skip signals (0 is factory default, and enables those signals as skip signals)
    6202 00000001 (1S1 is on which corresponds to HDI0, which corresponds to the high speed skip input, pins 1 and 2 on the honda style connector) 'specify which high-speed skip signal is enabled when the G31 skip command is issued'
    9936 10010100 description not given on this forum, but those in the know should understand

I have M100 setup to be used with M110 to turn the probe on and off. This is all working, I also have verified that the SSR contact on my probe closes when you trigger the probe. That SSR is hooked up across pins 1 and 2 on the honda connector that goes on the back of the monitor.

Despite this appearing to me to be a complete setup, im not getting G31 to work correctly with the HSS.

On a related but different question, how do I monitor the state of signals on this control? I can go to the PMC, and go to 'status' and search for example for F122 which should display the status of the HSS signals. I see in that display F122, capital letters I for all bits. Nothing changes when I trip the probe, but I had this same issue trying to view the normal skip input as mentioned previously. Its like the PMC status display is not monitoring in real time, the state of bits doesnt change. How do you monitor the i.o state on a fanuc 16i PMC in real time?

Anyone who has setup HSS, am I missing something on the params? or in the hss inputs? the cable connections diagram makes it look like it should just be a switch between pins 1 and 2, when you close the contact, then that turns on the HDI0 input. There is another page in that connections manual too that describes driving the HSS input which says low is 0 to 1.0V, high is 3.6 to 11.6V, max volts is 13.6V, so thats confusing to me. do I need to arrange a 9V signal on the pin 1 side of the circuit?
    I was able to see the status of output Y0002.1 change as I turn it on with M100 and off with M110. So, it looks like the HSS signals as shown by F122 are all on F122 has [IIIIIIII] and there is no effect when I trip my probe, I also disconnected the cable I built to see if that was an issue, but no effect, all those inputs are shown to be on all the time, and that matches the G31 behavior where I get no movement. Is there another paramater or something to enable using the HSS inputs or something?

I have also tried setting 6200 bit 5 (SRE) to 1 for use with the falling edge, that makes the G31 behavior the opposite, so the machine will move, but the there is no effect for closing the relay from the OMI between pins 1 and 2 on the honda connector.

the SSR contacts on this renishaw OMI2T measure open when the relay is off, and 30 ohms when the relay is on. The relay is on when the probe is triggered. The relay is also on when the OMI has the probe set to off. This functionality of the SSR on for probe 1 status on the OMI-2T is measured at the honda connector to verify that my wiring is OK.

I have at no point been able to affect the state of the HSS inputs, they all always read as on according to the PMC F122

I got it working.

it was the honda connector, I had pin 1 and pin 3 soldered, assuming that the top row was pins 1 2 3 4 etc, but the top row is 1 3 5 7 etc. Found this out by ohming out a spare unused honda connector. I have it right now, pin 1 top row, pin 2 is on the second row, now HSS works fine. The signal goes from high to low, so you do need to set SRE to 1. here's the final param config:

6200 01010000 (bit 4 set to 1 is skip function uses HSS signals, bit 6 SRE 1 for falling edge)