584,871 active members*
5,427 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Yaskawa question

Good afternoon to all. I do appreciate you all allowing me to join. I just wanted to say thanks and ask a quick question. Concerning Yaskawa servo motors, are the servopacks considered drives? I'm pretty sure they are considered and/or are amplifiers but I see mention of drives alot. From what I understand they are not controllers? Right? I believe on the machines I removed them from, the controllers were PLCs. Could that be correct? I'm not getting in way over my head and trying to use them to build my own machine. At least not for a long time to come. Just trying to learn about CNC in general but this is one question I haven't been able to satisfactorily answer on my own. Thank you for your time and again, for allowing me to be a part of yalls wonderful community. Have a nice day.

Re: Yaskawa question

Quote Originally Posted by Bigunit View Post
    Good afternoon to all. I do appreciate you all allowing me to join. I just wanted to say thanks and ask a quick question. Concerning Yaskawa servo motors, are the servopacks considered drives? I'm pretty sure they are considered and/or are amplifiers but I see mention of drives alot. From what I understand they are not controllers? Right? I believe on the machines I removed them from, the controllers were PLCs. Could that be correct? I'm not getting in way over my head and trying to use them to build my own machine. At least not for a long time to come. Just trying to learn about CNC in general but this is one question I haven't been able to satisfactorily answer on my own. Thank you for your time and again, for allowing me to be a part of yalls wonderful community. Have a nice day.
    Modern Servo Drives can control everything a CNC machines just needs a Computer CNC Software and some Hardware to suit your system connections

Normally they are called Servo Motor and Servo Drive as for control if the servo drive is where the encoder feed back is controlled then that part of a Servo Drive is part of the control

A PLC could well of been controlling what ever the Servo Motor was doing but this PLC Control would of been sending the signals to the Servo Drive to move the motor

A PLC is not needed for a CNC machine Control you will have to know what kind of signal the Servo Drives need to use

Depending on the Servo Drive model some can only take an analog +/- 10v, this means it is a little more complicated to run your Servo Drives

So it you have a Yaskawa Servo Drive model # I may be able to find what you need to run them for a CNC Machine
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Modern Servo Drives can control everything a CNC machines just needs a Computer CNC Software and some Hardware to suit your system connections

Normally they are called Servo Motor and Servo Drive as for control if the servo drive is where the encoder feed back is controlled then that part of a Servo Drive is part of the control

A PLC could well of been controlling what ever the Servo Motor was doing but this PLC Control would of been sending the signals to the Servo Drive to move the motor

A PLC is not needed for a CNC machine Control you will have to know what kind of signal the Servo Drives need to use

Depending on the Servo Drive model some can only take an analog +/- 10v, this means it is a little more complicated to run your Servo Drives

So it you have a Yaskawa Servo Drive model # I may be able to find what you need to run them for a CNC Machine
    You are right. It was a Fuji PLC controlling things. I didnt realize that. I have several different sets of motors and servopacks and as soon as I get home i will look at one of the smaller ones. Thank you very much for your help

[QUOTE=Bigunit;2450212]You are right. It was a Fuji PLC controlling things. I didnt realize that. I have several different sets of motors and servopacks and as soon as I get home i will look at one of the smaller ones. Thank you very much for your help[/QUO

One of the pack numbers is sgdh-04ae.

[QUOTE=Bigunit;2450300]
    You are right. It was a Fuji PLC controlling things. I didnt realize that. I have several different sets of motors and servopacks and as soon as I get home i will look at one of the smaller ones. Thank you very much for your help[/QUO

One of the pack numbers is sgdh-04ae.
    Should be more letters and numbers in that model number, that tells be it is model SGDH= Sigma II and 400w drive
    Mactec54

[QUOTE=mactec54;2450314]

Should be more letters and numbers in that model number, that tells be it is model SGDH= Sigma II and 400w drive
    Thank you again. Very much appreciated. For someone just learning should I try to utilize the PLC or is there a motion controller which would be better for me? I have what is 4 PCBs stacked on top of each other that Im thinkin may be one. Not sure. I looked all over the machine the another motor and servopack came off of and didnt see what comes up as a Yaskawa motion controller in images. There were no PLCs on this particular machine. Also I have a what looks like a Servopack but has Motionpack on it. Is this a controller?

[QUOTE=Bigunit;2454498]
    Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Thank you again. Very much appreciated. For someone just learning should I try to utilize the PLC or is there a motion controller which would be better for me? I have what is 4 PCBs stacked on top of each other that Im thinkin may be one. Not sure. I looked all over the machine the another motor and servopack came off of and didnt see what comes up as a Yaskawa motion controller in images. There were no PLCs on this particular machine. Also I have a what looks like a Servopack but has Motionpack on it. Is this a controller?
    If you want it to be CNC then no you would not use the PLC, a simple control like Mach3 and a Breakout Board with a UC100 would be a good starting point or Eding CNC, Acorn control can get you running using step/dir. signal these are all cnc controls Eding and Acorn being better, but with Mach3 you can try it and do tests for free

The motion pack that is on the side can be removed some phots would be good to see what you have
    Mactec54

[QUOTE=mactec54;2454520]

If you want it to be CNC then no you would not use the PLC, a simple control like Mach3 and a Breakout Board with a UC100 would be a good starting point or Eding CNC, Acorn control can get you running using step/dir. signal these are all cnc controls Eding and Acorn being better, but with Mach3 you can try it and do tests for free

The motion pack that is on the side can be removed some phots would be good to see what you have
    Great info! Thanks again. I will get a couple pics soon as I get home. I apologize for taking up your time sporadically. I haven't been able to spend as much time in my shop as I have wanted lately. So if it seems I'm only have interested and ignoring your advice and counsel, it only seems that way. I am very appreciative.