584,830 active members*
5,433 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

trico MD-1200 MICRO-DROP help

Okay so I got lucky and my work was going to throw this in the trash but i was able to get this. Restored it and got it going and would like to use it. What are you using in it for cutting aluminum?

I'm cutting 6061-t6

Re: trico MD-1200 MICRO-DROP help

Good score! I've always used the "official" Trico MD7. It is absurdly expensive but I use less than a gallon per year so it isn't a big expense. I normally start a job with higher flow to get the line filled and then dial coolant back to almost minimum. I usually leave the air flow at close to maximum. I never use flood so my solenoid valve is controlled by PP as though it is flood.

thanks for the info. I will have to check that stuff out.

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    Good score! I've always used the "official" Trico MD7. It is absurdly expensive but I use less than a gallon per year so it isn't a big expense. I normally start a job with higher flow to get the line filled and then dial coolant back to almost minimum. I usually leave the air flow at close to maximum. I never use flood so my solenoid valve is controlled by PP as though it is flood.
    Had a Trico 1200 for years. Do exactly the same thing. Max air, minimum coolant, always use both lines. Clean-up amounts to wiping parts with a rag and vacuum chips.

What do u think of kool mist 78? I have some not sure if I could use it

Sorry but no experience with KM78.

I've been using Qualichem 251C in the Fog Buster on my 1100 and as flood coolant in my SBL-15 lathe - no problems with either one, though tapping aluminum in the 1100 seems to go better with a drop or two of Tap Magic Aluminum, especially tapping with the tension-compression head.

I borrowed a few ounces from work and will try it. I'm will probably take the plunge and get the Trico MD7. Maybe I will try to contact Trico and see if maybe they have some samples I could have to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    I've been using Qualichem 251C in the Fog Buster on my 1100 and as flood coolant in my SBL-15 lathe - no problems with either one, though tapping aluminum in the 1100 seems to go better with a drop or two of Tap Magic Aluminum, especially tapping with the tension-compression head.

just wondering do you run that straight or do you mix it? If you mix it what ratio?

Quote Originally Posted by BIG IGG View Post
    just wondering do you run that straight or do you mix it? If you mix it what ratio?
    I mix the 251C at about 7-9% for the Fog Buster and flood in the lathe. I turn off the Fog Buster when tapping aluminum in the mill and apply a drop or two of Tap Magic Aluminum (neat) when tapping aluminum.

I use KM78 for most everything requiring water as a coolant. That is, in my saws, in a spray bottle, on the lathe, in the fogbuster when I use that (rarely these days). I don't use it in the Trico. Koolmist seems to keep the bugs down in intermittent use, at least for reasonable (months) dwell times in the saw sumps. Its pretty good for rust prevention, not perfect. I tend to clean up/wipe up after use and hit the machine with WD40 after it. I like it much better than any of the flood systems; easier clear-up, seems to work as well in my relatively light duty environment.

Could you use KM78 in the Trico? Probably, it'd pump I'm sure. But...the Trico is intentionally designed to deliver very minimal organic liquid- the cooling is from the airblast, the liquid is lubricant. You might get some minimal additional cooling from the water (actually, the water might even make a significant contribution even though the amount is small). My biggest concern is that once you have water in the Trico, getting it out again might be a job. Doable, but a right pain- you'd probably have to run isopropanol or MEK followed by something more oily (MEK so-called substitute, ethyl acetate, would work-just remember it is NOT a real substitute and NOT water miscible) to get back to a system that could reliably pump the Trico vegetable oil, and while you'd probably get away with it there could be some risk to seals or other components in the Trico. So while you could, the question is should you? I wouldn't. I might ask Trico, though. Customer service has always been helpful.