584,800 active members*
4,533 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Turning Machines > Gildemeister MD5 Eltropilot lathe - Axis reference fault

Gildemeister MD5 Eltropilot lathe - Axis reference fault

The X and Z axis reference does not "Complete / finish". This machine has left and right machining slides. The left machining slide (X and Z) can be referenced and on completion the controller says "Finished". When referencing the right machining slide, the x axis references first and then the z travels to the reference point where it will then stop, but the control does not indicate "Finished".
    I do not understand what the action is waiting for? I assume that the Z axis has reached its known reference point and the incremental encoder marker pulse has been triggered and so the slide movement has stopped. What further confirmation is it looking for to trigger the "Finished" and allow the machine to be used in automatic?

Quote Originally Posted by 1Nipper View Post
    The X and Z axis reference does not "Complete / finish". This machine has left and right machining slides. The left machining slide (X and Z) can be referenced and on completion the controller says "Finished". When referencing the right machining slide, the x axis references first and then the z travels to the reference point where it will then stop, but the control does not indicate "Finished".
    I do not understand what the action is waiting for? I assume that the Z axis has reached its known reference point and the incremental encoder marker pulse has been triggered and so the slide movement has stopped. What further confirmation is it looking for to trigger the "Finished" and allow the machine to be used in automatic?
    I am surprised that there is no error, but if the Z axis travels and doesn't complete the reference point, I would first suspect the switches. There could be 3. Reference switch, soft limit and it hard limit.
    For example the reference switch input is usually a normally closed signal. So as the axis travels across the cam the signal goes low, then coming off the cam, the signal goes high. At this point the axis continues to travel until it finds the reference marker pulse. If the switch is gummed up and sticking it will travel to the soft limit and stop.

I would check the reference switch and its input. Could even be clogged up with chips.

Re: Gildemeister MD5 Eltropilot lathe - Axis reference fault

Visited customer and investigated. When the axis pair are asked to reference the axis move in x axis then z axis. (It is a called up programme and one axis runs after the other). I assume that the x axis finds home and this allows the z axis to then search - it is an assumption assuming that if it didn’t find home then it wouldn’t start looking for z reference. When referencing in z axis reference switch is triggered on a cam and then the marker on the incremental encoder is looked for and when found the drive stops - as you would expect. I tested for tge marker by adjusting the encoder slightly and finding reference in a slightly different place so I know the marker is found and that triggers the slide to stop.
    At this point tge Eltro pilot control should state “Finished” and the axis’ positions should display a value, but neither happens.
    There are several interface pcbs on route to the computer, which have been swopped out for test purposes with the second axis pair = no change. The final pcb is called an “Interpollater Control Board IL1” but unable to swop it with the second axis pair as it is not identical(it appears to be programme matched to an axis pair).
    So at this point not sure if this could be problem or open to other thoughts.
    Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Nipper View Post
    Visited customer and investigated. When the axis pair are asked to reference the axis move in x axis then z axis. (It is a called up programme and one axis runs after the other). I assume that the x axis finds home and this allows the z axis to then search - it is an assumption assuming that if it didn’t find home then it wouldn’t start looking for z reference. When referencing in z axis reference switch is triggered on a cam and then the marker on the incremental encoder is looked for and when found the drive stops - as you would expect. I tested for tge marker by adjusting the encoder slightly and finding reference in a slightly different place so I know the marker is found and that triggers the slide to stop.
    At this point tge Eltro pilot control should state “Finished” and the axis’ positions should display a value, but neither happens.
    There are several interface pcbs on route to the computer, which have been swopped out for test purposes with the second axis pair = no change. The final pcb is called an “Interpollater Control Board IL1” but unable to swop it with the second axis pair as it is not identical(it appears to be programme matched to an axis pair).
    So at this point not sure if this could be problem or open to other thoughts.
    Many thanks.
    Have you checked Z axis absolute machine position against the reference and soft limit parameter? ?

If not "finished" there may be a difference or possibly following error issues if the axis is tight.