584,812 active members*
5,331 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > DIY Cooling fogless mist system schematic

DIY Cooling fogless mist system schematic

Hello, preparing for my PM-727v CNC conversion I started from the cooling system because I need it first for cutting even in manual mode those few parts which I can do manually... Unfortunately I could not find on Internet any schematic of the complete such system, hence...
    I put together lots of info I found (especially in this forum) , ordered components and made a schematic diagram to make it clear to myself how to proceed. Mostly it is based on the information ( and pictures) generously provided by Bob ( maxspongebob on this thread https://www.cnczone.com/forums/bench...77872-cnc.html ) and others but I made some changes...
    Key specs : all tubes I intend to use 1/4" OD 1/8" ID PU clear, fittings push-to-connect 1/4" OD and 1/4" NPT thread adapters and plugs , two pressure regulators with gauge for a separate adjustment of air and oil (later, after I confirm that oil pressure must be always higher than air, I'll remove oil pressure regulator) , a port to a blow gun for cleaning and a safety valve, [added] exhaust muffler connected to the port of solenoid.
    If you see something important yet missing or something is wrong please let me know here...
    Vlad

P.S. I keep updating the schematic...

Re: DIY Cooling fogless mist system schematic

I would add a quick exhaust valve between the regulator and the fluid tank. https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...exhaust_valves

That will dump the pressure off of the fluid tank when the solenoid valve is de energized. Without a quick exhaust the tank has to bleed back through the regulator, and you will be flowing fluid until pressure drops to zero.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Indeed, I forgot to put this exhaust in the diagram. I have it https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._title_o05_s00
    It will be connected to the exhaust port of the solenoid (3 ports 2 positions). Has to update the diagram.
    Thanks Jim for the correction.
    I uploaded the updated diagram.

While it is normal practice to install a filter on an exhaust port, that filter doesn't really solve the problem of bleeding air off of the pressure tank. You need a positive exhaust on the tank, this could be done using a 5 port valve, but more simply using a quick exhaust valve and stay with your 3 port valve. That is why I have a quick exhaust in mine.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

In this diagram there is only one output port of the solenoid , I forgot to show the splitter ... looks like with a simple push-to-connect splitter between the manifold and regulators the single solenoid muffler will bleed both lines... guess need to update diagram again
    P.S. actually 5-ports solenoid seems to be even simpler than installing a splitter (and price for 5-port is the same as 3 port ) ... regarding your "quick exhaust valve" to be honest I don;t understand what is it... is it yet one more solenoid? otherwise it's manual control?

That will exhaust the air in the line ahead of the regulators, but this still doesn't dump the air off of the tank because the regulator pretty much acts like a check valve. You need a valved connection between the tank and the regulator to do that.

EDIT: Ignore what I said about the port connections, that won't work at all. (deleted)
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Quote Originally Posted by eBirdman View Post
    In this diagram there is only one output port of the solenoid , I forgot to show the splitter ... looks like with a simple push-to-connect splitter between the manifold and regulators the single solenoid muffler will bleed both lines... guess need to update diagram again
    P.S. actually 5-ports solenoid seems to be even simpler than installing a splitter (and price for 5-port is the same as 3 port ) ... regarding your "quick exhaust valve" to be honest I don;t understand what is it... is it yet one more solenoid? otherwise it's manual control?

We are kind of cross posting here and I just corrected my error above. Let's see if I can explain this better.

The quick exhaust is a simple mechanical valve. When you feed pressure to one side of it from the regulator the air is routed to the tank and the other port is closed off. When when the pressure is relieved on the regulator side, then the tank pressure shifts the valve and opens the exhaust side, thus dumping the pressure in the tank.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=air+quick...ref=nb_sb_noss

I'll keep trying to explain if needed.

Do you already have the solenoid valve?
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Here is a simple drawing of my system, but is showing manual valves rather than a solenoid valve and a quick exhaust. Also where is says PUMP, just think flow control.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

I would like to add the "Autonomous". Have anyone try the DIY SmartDesk Kit from Autonomous? #diystandingdeskwithAutonomous

Jim, the attachment URL is wrong- does not open.
    I haven't bought a solenoid yet... still choosing 3 ports with a splitter or 5 ports ...
    You explained it well about the mechanical quick exhaust valve. I got it . I think the pressure regulator does allow backward air flow from the tank when incoming flow pressure drops (solenoid switched OFF) ... I wanna test check this on my air compressor ... I think it only slows down the backward air flow but does not stop it.

It seems that my drawing did not load properly, not sure what's going on there. Here it is again:

Where is shows a manual valve just substitute solenoid valve, the dump valve is a quick exhaust, and where it shows a PUMP, think flow control.

The amazon link above seems to work for me. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=air+quick...ref=nb_sb_noss

If not just go to amazon and search air quick exhaust

If you don't dump the air on the tank it will continue to flow until it runs out of air, and that could take a while

I am using a 3 port valve with a splitter or Tee, I don't remember which. Either way from an air flow perspective it's the same.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

I ran the test to see whether pressure regulator keeps pressure when incoming flow pressure drops.
    See the results on my video here https://youtu.be/Mn3fGSTHvvA
    The end regulator and end plug dial both show pressure drop as the donor regulator (red knob) reduces the pressure. Automatic quick release function of the pressure regulator.

I decided to use 5 port solenoid - this makes it simple for all regulation and exhaust needs.

Looks like the pressure drops pretty fast. That should work then.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

I expected some latency in the end gauge reading because the "end user" regulator was partially closed... air compressor' regulator was initially set for higher - 50 psi while the "end user" regulator was set to only 20 psi (partially closed valve)..
    Nevertheless I did not see any latency... this is what I've learned : pressure regulator, at least as it is made in this example, only regulates maximum pressure limit of the incoming flow, otherwise it is transparent to the incoming pressure allowing the backwards flow release...

Re: DIY Cooling fogless mist system schematic - Correction to the schematic

Too bad there is no way to change the schematic image to the first post in this thread - it is wrong.
    I did not find any manual on-line for the 5 port solenoid I chose to use, hence only when I got it and tried I found out it cannot be used in this application.
    So I am changing to the one which was recommended by maxspongebob 3 ports 2 position 24V (my controller system uses 24v) .
    Final (I hope) diagram is attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC_cut_cool.jpg