584,858 active members*
4,497 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > VFD Woes.. Looking for some advice on my setup please...

VFD Woes.. Looking for some advice on my setup please...

So I am a first time poster but a long time "lurker" on this forum. I've never really needed to post a question because with enough research the you can find your issues asked and answered. Hence the lurking. But I am really stumped on this and I know(well I assume) it has to be a settings issue with the Huayang inverter PD settings. Here is what I have:

Mach 3 BOB, (2 styles to be exact, the basic 4-axis red BOB made by Bit Central, and a larger version that has integrated drivers.) I am running this off of a meanwell psu and for the sake of simplicity that is all I have connected to get this going atm. I will be running steppers and 48v psu's but its not connected as not to contribute to the problem at hand. I am trying to drive the Chinese Huayang inverter and the liquid cooled 2.2kw spindle with only the BOB and relay connected. This is my 2nd go around with this headache. I gave in the first time and purchased a Buildbotics Controller due to the lack of "bad press" I could find on it when I searched for it online. Turns out it's not exactly what I had hoped for in a controller, and needless to say I am trying to get this setup going again. I will say though that getting the VFD and the spindle to operate w/ Buildbotics controller was such a painless ordeal. So props to them on that. A pair of twisted wires and your off to the races. It's sad that this doesn't outweigh the other, but that not what this post is about. So originally I could get the spindle to fire up, but it would not pass 8000RPM. PWM wasn't working on my setup, and I went thru a few different cards, ultimately just adding to my collection of stuff. I realize that the PWM not working was a wiring issue, compounded by bad settings. This go around, I have it working. Sorta. Thank you to Mactec54 for the wealth of knowledge supplied, and I have followed your instructions on the settings to the letter regarding the PD Settings. However, When I activate the spindle in MACH3, the spindle ramps up to 22500ish rpm completely ignoring the min setting of 133.33hz or 8k rpm, and floats there. When I try to drop the rpm from 22500, it will fluctuate and drop down to 20950, but no lower. If I ramp it up, it will go to 22500 and that is the max of it's range I have reset my settings countless times and started from scratch with the same results. The odd thing is that when I put a scope on the 10v out on the BOB, I see the pwm signal active, but it is not reacting as if it had it. Also when I ramp the pwm to max, the voltmeter reads an output of .695 volts. When I drop it down to min, it raises to 1.7v, This also has me scratching my head. I have multiple boards that are all doing identical reactions.(You know, its the embodiment of "Crazy", same thing expecting different results) This is why I feel it has to be a settings issue or potentially a VFD.... but it operated as intended with Buildbotics. So i guess I am just really saying that I have absolutely no idea wth is going on with this. I also wouldn't be surprised if the issue was an internal setting in Mach3 at this point, but the same computer runs a 6040 just fine, and I also know that means absolutely nothing in the big picture.

My basic wiring is as simple as it could possibly get because I am trying to keep this as simple as possible for diagnosing. You'll have to forgive my wonderful MSPAINT(not really but really) schematic, but I am a carpenter by trade, never said electrical engineer. You can however be amazed at all the attention to detail and the comprehensive amount of information provided in my " so called schematic".

So I have done my best to give you the complete layout. Can someone please point me in the right direction to get this resolved? I would be so grateful to get this, working as intended.

Thank you in advance!

-Spain

Re: VFD Woes.. Looking for some advice on my setup please...

Well... I continued to research and it seems that this was already asked and answered previously and I missed it. I just read that the Huayang does not accept the pwm signal as sent by Mach3, and I need to grab a:

Description:
    1. The PWM transfer voltage module LC-LM358-PWM2V converts the PWM digital signals into 0 to 10V analog signals.
    2. It can be used as signal interface switching for PLC or other industrial control boards. The output voltage is regulated by adjusting the duty ratio of the PWM.
    The modules are small in size and easy to use in different places.

I believe this is the answer to my problem? Did I just help myself here? I kinda feel like I did just that. If I am missing something else, I would still love the advice ofcourse.

Thanks!

-Spain

Yes, you need a PWM to Analog speed control .

If you have a genuine Huanyang VFD, consider using a Huanyang plugin.
    Mach3 plugin for Huanyang VFD | Le royaume d'éole
    Than all you need is a USB > RS-485 converter, which are about $10.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Yes thank you I have considered and I researched the plug-in and it seems that it was finicky as to which adapter it played well with so I paid a little more for the adapter because they are tried and true and have instructions specific to Mach 3 and their adapter on their website. I also ordered the pwm to analog 1-10v to play with in the meantime. I’m sure with one or the other my VFD woes will be in the past. Thank you!

-Spain

Quote Originally Posted by spain_gxp View Post
    So I am a first time poster but a long time "lurker" on this forum. I've never really needed to post a question because with enough research the you can find your issues asked and answered. Hence the lurking. But I am really stumped on this and I know(well I assume) it has to be a settings issue with the Huayang inverter PD settings. Here is what I have:

Mach 3 BOB, (2 styles to be exact, the basic 4-axis red BOB made by Bit Central, and a larger version that has integrated drivers.) I am running this off of a meanwell psu and for the sake of simplicity that is all I have connected to get this going atm. I will be running steppers and 48v psu's but its not connected as not to contribute to the problem at hand. I am trying to drive the Chinese Huayang inverter and the liquid cooled 2.2kw spindle with only the BOB and relay connected. This is my 2nd go around with this headache. I gave in the first time and purchased a Buildbotics Controller due to the lack of "bad press" I could find on it when I searched for it online. Turns out it's not exactly what I had hoped for in a controller, and needless to say I am trying to get this setup going again. I will say though that getting the VFD and the spindle to operate w/ Buildbotics controller was such a painless ordeal. So props to them on that. A pair of twisted wires and your off to the races. It's sad that this doesn't outweigh the other, but that not what this post is about. So originally I could get the spindle to fire up, but it would not pass 8000RPM. PWM wasn't working on my setup, and I went thru a few different cards, ultimately just adding to my collection of stuff. I realize that the PWM not working was a wiring issue, compounded by bad settings. This go around, I have it working. Sorta. Thank you to Mactec54 for the wealth of knowledge supplied, and I have followed your instructions on the settings to the letter regarding the PD Settings. However, When I activate the spindle in MACH3, the spindle ramps up to 22500ish rpm completely ignoring the min setting of 133.33hz or 8k rpm, and floats there. When I try to drop the rpm from 22500, it will fluctuate and drop down to 20950, but no lower. If I ramp it up, it will go to 22500 and that is the max of it's range I have reset my settings countless times and started from scratch with the same results. The odd thing is that when I put a scope on the 10v out on the BOB, I see the pwm signal active, but it is not reacting as if it had it. Also when I ramp the pwm to max, the voltmeter reads an output of .695 volts. When I drop it down to min, it raises to 1.7v, This also has me scratching my head. I have multiple boards that are all doing identical reactions.(You know, its the embodiment of "Crazy", same thing expecting different results) This is why I feel it has to be a settings issue or potentially a VFD.... but it operated as intended with Buildbotics. So i guess I am just really saying that I have absolutely no idea wth is going on with this. I also wouldn't be surprised if the issue was an internal setting in Mach3 at this point, but the same computer runs a 6040 just fine, and I also know that means absolutely nothing in the big picture.

My basic wiring is as simple as it could possibly get because I am trying to keep this as simple as possible for diagnosing. You'll have to forgive my wonderful MSPAINT(not really but really) schematic, but I am a carpenter by trade, never said electrical engineer. You can however be amazed at all the attention to detail and the comprehensive amount of information provided in my " so called schematic".

So I have done my best to give you the complete layout. Can someone please point me in the right direction to get this resolved? I would be so grateful to get this, working as intended.

Thank you in advance!

-Spain
    If you are trying to run the VFD Drive with a PWM output it is not going to happen for speed control on this VFD Drive you need either a 0-5v or 0-10v Analog output so the PWM direct will not work with this VFD Drive
    Mactec54

Yes Mactec54, I actually ordered both an rs485 USB adapter and the pwm to 1-10v breakout. In either case, I’m sure I can get this up and running soon. Thank you!

-Spain