584,805 active members*
5,102 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 47 of 90 37454647484957
    Quote Originally Posted by Teyber View Post
    the smiley face tells me he was just kidding
    OK, got that, got my bearing now, caged the gyro so it's not tumbling anymore.:-)

It's been a tough week and I'm not a faceless corporate entity. I'm still an ordinary guy running what's quickly becoming a large biz from where it started. A tough week means I'm still trying to get my equilibrium in time to be ready for next Monday.

That doesn't excuse me from not seeing what was intended to be clever and well crafted humor. I feel bad and stupid about that because it went completely over my head. That normally doesn't happen under better circumstances. It's just tonight I'm bone-weary and completely played out. Mentally as well as physically. Tomorrow is another fine new day.

Thanks.

Mariss

Talking

Hey Stepper Wizard,

Now that the big roll out is over and all the hoopla has died down, how many do you have to order to get the $29.00 deal?

wait a minute- sorry im a total noob.

the 250-61$- is that the 4 axis controller or for each of the drivers? which is the one that has 4 axis and a BO board in it that was "rumored" aroun 250$?

analysis of analysis

so reading the analysis... it looks like you are increasing the price to the hobby person for 2 reasons

to price protect the 201, and to give your large resellers some meat to be able to make better deals.

not trying to spin you up marcus, but thats the way it looks to me.

again, i realize that living and doing biz is expensive, and you have a right to charge whatever you want.

one of the comments you made way earlier in this thread, was that prices have fallen and technology has gotten better , such that this g250 is possible at this price.

now this is probally way out in left field, and i'll get tied to the stake.
    but if the parts are cheaper and such why not bring the 201 price down a little as a way to make it more enticing compared to the g250?

i was looking forward to you having a drive available at about the same price it takes me to make one myself, but i understand the logic behind your analysis, and if i was smart probally would come to the same conclusions.

now if i don't get in on the reworked drives i will have to wait and see how much the resellers undercut the $61 price, or just go buy the hobbycnc pro 4 axis.

dan

Cool This is starting to sound like a bait and switch scam.

Hey Dude,

In the begining of this thread the price of $31.00 was repeated over and over.

Then somehow it jumped up to almost $300.00 for a four drive package.

This is starting to sound like a bait and switch scam.

Now the reworked drives are going to be pawned off as a deal.

I myself don't mind, I am always getting screwed.

I like bending over, is there some heat sink grease around here?

TheSlickster

Quote Originally Posted by sawmiller View Post
    so reading the analysis... it looks like you are increasing the price to the hobby person for 2 reasons

to price protect the 201, and to give your large resellers some meat to be able to make better deals.

not trying to spin you up marcus, but thats the way it looks to me.

again, i realize that living and doing biz is expensive, and you have a right to charge whatever you want.

one of the comments you made way earlier in this thread, was that prices have fallen and technology has gotten better , such that this g250 is possible at this price.

now this is probally way out in left field, and i'll get tied to the stake.
    but if the parts are cheaper and such why not bring the 201 price down a little as a way to make it more enticing compared to the g250?

i was looking forward to you having a drive available at about the same price it takes me to make one myself, but i understand the logic behind your analysis, and if i was smart probally would come to the same conclusions.

now if i don't get in on the reworked drives i will have to wait and see how much the resellers undercut the $61 price, or just go buy the hobbycnc pro 4 axis.

dan
    This is just RUDE! You obviously have no idea of the difference in value and performance between Gecko and anything else.

If you had read the whole thread or if you have ever had dealings with Gecko, you would know that they are some of the best people you would ever want to know.

We are fortunate that Mariss and Marcus even ATTEMPTED this. I'm sure the price will come down eventually, when full production is applied to totally proven parts.

CR.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSlickster View Post
    Hey Dude,

In the begining of this thread the price of $31.00 was repeated over and over.

Then somehow it jumped up to almost $300.00 for a four drive package.

This is starting to sound like a bait and switch scam.

Now the reworked drives are going to be pawned off as a deal.

I myself don't mind, I am always getting screwed.

I like bending over, is there some heat sink grease around here?

TheSlickster
    And THIS is WORSE than rude! And totally uncalled for.

CR.

Mariss,

Will there be any G251 drives available at some similar introductory pricing (obviously not $29)?

Alan

rudeness

sorry crevice,

i have read this whole thread several times.
    i do know the difference, thats why i was waiting with so much anticipation .
    however i , like others here , have a limited amount that i can spend, otherwise i would get the 203's

i am dissapointed, thats all.

and i dont think my reply was rude, i think that it reflects the way that i read that part of his post.

but, as they say, everyone has a opinion.
    dan

I'll still be buying them at twice the price

Quote Originally Posted by Crevice Reamer View Post
    And THIS is WORSE than rude! And totally uncalled for.

CR.
    I have to agree, even at $60 each it's cheap for what I can get in these things compared with other drives available out there. It wouldn't be possible for me to build these things for even twice the price when you consider the programing and technology that's gone into them. It would take me more than 8 hours (standard days work) to just build the board and solder the components. I can make more than $60/day so my money and time is better spent buying the G250. Then I can spend my time routing rather than testing/blowing up drives.

Time is money, spend it wisely, if you don't like the price you can always go somewhere else.

it was a noble and clearly exausted attempt to make the $30 boards , anyone with common sense appreciates you putting this project in front of us to watch evolve rather than just popping in with a new driver ,
    a cheap drive was a great idea ,it can reach the guys who didn t have the budget for your bigger drivers
    sure the fact that its not the price you had expected is disappointing for everyone and i'm sure includes yourselves , but youve still managed to create a solid driver for half the price of the others and this is something i completely believe you should be applauded for rather than face critisism

anyone who can t afford or wants to whine about the price of these new drivers should seriously ask themselves if they've chose the right hobby for themselves
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Quote Originally Posted by kiwibum View Post
    even at $60 each it's cheap for what I can get in these things compared with other drives available out there.
    While I realize that what you say is true, I have to at least partially agree with sawmiller and TheSlickster.

When I started reading this thread it was only two pages of posts. I have read every post in this tread. When I found out that I could get Gecko drives for $29 each I couldn't wait for the release and have eagerly read each new post to keep aprised of the situation. The price has increased a few times to reflect actual production costs vs. estimated costs. This was never more than a few dollars difference, and although I was slightly disappointed at any increase I completely understood the reasoning behind it.

But after all of this time being told all of the details of how the price has been kept down it is very discouraging to have the price double at the last minute. I also have limited funds to spend on this. Until I started reading about these drives I had planned on trying to build my own drives to save money.

Having said this, I do not expect Mariss to lose money on these drives. He should not have to eat the cost of reworking the drives they already have. Just add that cost to the price of this batch. I'm sure that they would still sell out in no time.

I have been waiting this long for the G540 and will continue to do so, just not as eagerly. When I see the final price for the G540 I will have to decide then if it is within my budget.

Once again Mariss, I mean no disrespect with what I have said here. Just expressing the discouragement I feel at the latest news.

But don't forget that the current/final incarnation has many more features then was originally intended. Mariss has been honest and upfront all along about the process and pitfalls.

This sort of corporate sharing is unheardof. I think some people are just not understanding how a development cycle can turn on you.

-Andrey-

Thats what I was thinking. The original drive was to be a stripped down drive. This little drive has lots of features. Why! Because they could add them in the footprint. If you can't afford the $61 per, just watch closely and get these @ $29.

You can do all the figuring, designing and planning that you want, yet you still won't know a final cost until you actually run some and see just what all has to be done.
    Do not underestimate packing costs either. They have to break the boards apart and package separately. That is some time right there. I still think these new ones are well within reason considering the other 9 Gecko's I am running use no more than 3 Amp motors. My mill and router do run higher voltage than these will carry, but my lab supply is adjustable.
    Lee

The whiners are appalling. To get something with the same features, you're looking at $155. and 8X the size. Sure 29-36 would have been nice, but come on. I just want to know how to get in the line for some of these 500 drives with wires. I want three, but will buy a dozen and then subdivide for others that just need three if Mariss is selling the 500 in trays of a dozen. I'll even let em go at cost pluss postage.

Some folks will complain if you hang 'em with a NEW rope!!!
    “ In questions of power, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution.” Thomas Jefferson

The 2-week intro price will be $29 for the G250, $39 for the G251 in any quantity. Buy one or buy a bazillion.

Please walk in my shoes for a minute:

1) It costs us just over $15 to process an order. It makes no difference if the order is for 1 drive or a 1,000 drives. This is oftentimes the "handling" in "shipping and handling". We have never charged for handling because the big orders cover that expense for the single-piece orders. That $15 constitutes more than 50% of the gross profit for a $31 drive.

2) If the single piece price is $31, what is the 10, 100 and 1,000 piece price? There is simply no room to make it less. There is no incentive for resellers to buy the drives then. The consequence will be most orders will be small ones, straining the "handling" bottleneck to the breaking point.

Here's the numbers: We have 3 people in the office. It takes on average 30 minutes to process an order from phone / internet to product in a box ready for UPS or FedEx. This means each person can complete only 16 orders per day. The practical maximum is 30 orders a day since there are other office tasks that have to be done.

If all those orders are for 1 drive each, the income for the company is $930 per day. You cannot pay 10 employees, taxes and facility operating costs with that.

Those are the economic realities. I wish it were different. It would be nice if a drive could magically appear in your hand when you wanted it and $31 would appear in our company account as payment. Were that possible, I'd be perfectly happy. Unfortunately there are those irreducible transaction costs standing in the way. We have to sell these drives in large volumes or it simply won't work out.

Mariss

Cool Is there here a little oink oink here?

Hey Dude,

Is there here a little oink oink here?

During the exercise of the cheap drive marketing campaign somebody said that the parts to build this cost $6.00 and a five times markup was fair.

Stating any more than five times cost markup was piggish.

Well the little piggy has decided to become a big fat hog.

Well now the Keling equivalent becomes a motivating alternative.

After dogging the competitor several times, turnabout becomes fair play.

Some of the crew will defend a hogs actions no matter what though.

Bring it on.

TheSlickster

Mariss,

Thanks for you honesty and openness throughout this thread. Reading these posts over the past several months has given me a very positive impression of your company and made me more appreciative of the quality of your products.

Most companies wouldn't share this much information so publicly. Some of us are disappointed in the pricing change but I hope that doesn't change your future willingness to communicate so openly with us. The truth is it's easy to gripe and complain about price but much harder to ignore actual value of a product. I'm sure the complaints will settle down and most people will see that you've priced the product fairly.

I've been through many difficult business meetings where these sorts of pricing decisions are made. I can appreciate how reality changes through a product's development. Your decision to honor your original price target with an introductory discount offer is appreciated, I for one intend to take advantage of your generosity.

Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Mariss Freimanis View Post
    Please walk in my shoes for a minute:
    I do understand where you are coming from, Mariss. And I have no doubt that the drives will be worth every penny of the $61 price. I think my discouragement comes from the fact that this seems to have happened all at once. I think it would have been better if it had been mentioned earlier that such a huge price increase might be necessary. But any mention of a price increase in the past has been much smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariss Freimanis View Post
    2) If the single piece price is $31, what is the 10, 100 and 1,000 piece price? There is simply no room to make it less. There is no incentive for resellers to buy the drives then. The consequence will be most orders will be small ones, straining the "handling" bottleneck to the breaking point.:
    I admit that I had not even thought about it from this point of view. When this thread started you mentioned a target price for a single quantity. I guess most of us just assumed that you had planned on quantity pricing being slightly lower.

Again, I am grateful for all that you have done and understand where you are coming from. However, I still can't help feeling a little discouraged at this point.

Still looking forwarg to seeing the G540 in production and seeing what the price of it will be.

Page 47 of 90 37454647484957