584,808 active members*
5,286 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 52 of 90 242505152535462
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 1793
    Quote Originally Posted by the4thseal View Post
    what is a BOB? forgive me if this is stupid but i would love to know.
    BOB = Break Out Board
    Everything in moderation, including moderation.

BOB = Break Out Board. This takes the tiny wires from the parallel port cable and spreads them out to individual connectors.

CR.

A BOB is a breakout board. Don't worry, I too am acronym challenged. If I had not been doing this for a while I would have to set my homepage to www.acronymfinder.com just to keep up.

The G540 is currently undergoing testing, and will be produced some time fairly soon. We will put in a PCB order as soon as testing is complete. We have the covers and heatsinks for the G540s and all the parts we need to make them; all we need now is a finished layout and some PCBs.

alipvsky: I believe he made his own BOB. There are several versions of BOBs and entire control solutions coming out for the G250 and G251, and they will be sold by 3rd parties so you will have plenty of options. We prefer to stick to motor controls, and the G540 is pretty much our only venture into the BOB arena for the immediate future. I know that there is a 5-axis G250 control box coming out from C and CNC very soon, similar to their other products.

Marcus Freimanis

thank you. i am not always up on my abbreviations.

Yes, I did it myself. But it's only a connectionscard. No optoisolated, no short-circuit protected, no watch dog. No protections at all, only connect the G251 to the computer.
    It's OK for me, I not need/want anything else. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Jojje Bergan View Post
    Yes, I did it myself. But it's only a connectionscard. No optoisolated, no short-circuit protected, no watch dog. No protections at all, only connect the G251 to the computer.
    It's OK for me, I not need/want anything else. ;-)
    Do you happen to have more? Or would you be willing to share your design so I can make a couple for myself? That's exactly what I need.

Thanks,
    Andrey

Quote Originally Posted by CoAMarcus View Post
    There are several versions of BOBs and entire control solutions coming out for the G250 and G251, and they will be sold by 3rd parties so you will have plenty of options. We prefer to stick to motor controls, and the G540 is pretty much our only venture into the BOB arena for the immediate future. I know that there is a 5-axis G250 control box coming out from C and CNC very soon, similar to their other products.

Marcus Freimanis
    Care to share who the outlets are that will be offering control solutions for these? Or are those developing them willing to speak up? I'm interested in the G540 but only really need three axis driven. I keep thinking a 4th would be nice on my router since I want to learn about it for my Mill but don't really need it.

And thank you very much for sharing your design process and issues with us. I have an electronics/business back ground and understand everything you have gone through. It's nice of your to share it with us, I don't feel you made any mistakes, there are plenty of other options for others if they chose.

Quote Originally Posted by alipavsky View Post
    Do you happen to have more? Or would you be willing to share your design so I can make a couple for myself? That's exactly what I need.

Thanks,
    Andrey
    What's wrong with post 803?

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=803

Must have missed that day.

Do you have part numbers for the connector pins, etc?

By the way, did you etch/mill that board yourself? It looks great.

Thanks,
    Andrey

Sorry. I'm living in Sweden you see, and you can't buy everything from here, or???

Everything is standard components. It's not so difficult to get simular in US, hmm...

No all by my self. I make the layout in DipTrace, and Multicad manufactor it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0275.JPG  

Sorry. I'm living in Sweden you see, and you can't buy everything from here, or???

Everything is standard components. It's not so difficult to get simular in US, hmm...

No all by my self. I make the layout in DipTrace, and Multicad manufactor it.
    I just noticed that you have logic ground connected to power ground. I thought that was a no-no?

Andrey

Running a business

I can't believe what I'm reading.

So Mariss, being a nice guy, chats about his new project, his hopes, his dreams, not with his full customer base like some sort of mass-marketing Nike commercial, but as a friend with those geeks who like to spend their time reading and screwing around on this website.

He releases all kinds of information, talks about the process -- even publishes some information other companies would consider highly proprietary -- and tries to get the price down to ~$30.

He SUCCEEDS at this, but realizes it's not practical for his own personal company to sell these drives in small quantities to end users directly because of the handling costs involved. In order to survive and pay the bills, he can only sell at this price in Q 1000+, just like every other manufacturer on the planet.

Even Digikey charges 10x the actual retail price of a resistor when you buy two at a time so they can make a profit. Who can make a profit by charging $.002 for an item when the customer only wants ten of them? And just like Digikey, the items can still be had for a very good price, so long as you are willing to buy a large number of them.

So to be really nice to the people who followed the whole process, he even offers to sell the drives to those loyal fans who followed along and even helped out now and then by selling the drives for $29/$39 for a couple of weeks. All of these people who thought they were going to get $29 drives will get EXACTLY THAT. Maybe they won't be able to buy more at that price a month from now, but at least they'll get these drives for themselves at the price they were expecting.

But even if you miss the deal, even AFTER the two weeks is up, you can still buy the drive pretty cheaply. You'll just have to do it though a middle man that is used to selling in small quantity, who will probably tack on a $10 markup. You can even buy directly from Gecko, if you're willing to pay a higher price.

If you do an analysis, though, you find even the HIGHEST gecko-direct price is still a better deal than the "next best" competitor.

But being able to ACTUALLY BUY a better drive for a better price, being able to buy that same better drive for the ridiculously low $29 price, being able to get a great piece of equipment for %50 of the price it will actually command once it hits the mass market, isn't good enough for some people.

It's not enough that THEY can get these drives cheaply for their own systems. Suddenly they're all upset because, well, the price of the drive in single quantities won't be that low for.. who? Their friends? Family? A few hundred thousand customers? It's the principle of the matter, damn it! And by principle, Mariss doesn't deserve to get paid for his hard work because HE was the one that made this very human mistake!

I wonder... Do you think there are 100 people reading this thread that will actually buy for themselves? There are about 1000 posts in this thread. That's 1 buyer for every 10 posts. At $29 per drive, 4 drives per customer, that's $116 per person. With 100 buyers, that's a gross profit of $11,600. After paying for parts, labor, overhead, and everything else, that will leave Mariss, with, what, $4K to split between all his employees and himself? And you think it's MARISS that's being greedy?

Shameful.

Buy your damn $29 drives and go away; he, and I, and most of the people here don't need that kind of short sighted idiocy.

So all of this leaves only one question: Is Mariss going to assuage his guilty conscience by giving us a 2-week steal-deal for G540 too? Because, you know, he OWES it to us... After all he SAID he hoped it would be "much LESS than $300." And now it's gonna be $300? What's up with THAT Mariss?!!

Seriously, has the pricing been worked out for the G540, and when do I order?

Quote Originally Posted by cwm9 View Post
    I can't believe what I'm reading.
    Shameful.

Buy your damn $29 drives and go away, he, and I, and most of the people here don't need that kind of short sighted idiocy.
    Nicely stated cwm9, thanks.

Most of the "hard" feelings were resolved hours and days ago. Did you skip those posts? Nice touch to ask about a discount at the end

Quote Originally Posted by PoolQ View Post
    Most of the "hard" feelings were resolved hours and days ago. Did you skip those posts? Nice touch to ask about a discount at the end
    I did read all those posts, but you know, I logged in on Friday and no one had posted for two weeks. So I posted asking for an update. The very next post was from Marris' reply that included the new prices. Then tempers flared all day Saturday... all day Sunday... and there was a little today... and so, it only being Monday afternoon, and it also being the first time I logged in since I asked for an update Friday, I don't feel my post is really all that 'late'. There will probably still be people logging in and complaining for a few days, and I just wanted to get my support in for Mariss. Could you all of the hard feelings really already be resolved in just one weekend? I hope so!

Anyway, glad you like the discount request... couldn't let Marris go without asking for just a little more blood!

mariss- as long as the price of the 540 is not astral, i think a ton of people will buy it... as long as its under 400$ i shall purchase. I wonder when the 250 hype moves to the 540

Quote Originally Posted by cwm9 View Post
    Could you all of the hard feelings really already be resolved in just one weekend? I hope so!

Well, as one of those that had "hard feelings" let me say that I am over it. Sure, I still wish the price were lower. But I wish that about everything I buy.

Mariss, I have really enjoyed reading this thread. Even though I do not understand much of the technical mumbo jumbo it is still really nice to see the developement of the product over the last few months. You say that the misunderstanding about the price was your fault, but I think that both sides are equally at fault. Please don't let this keep you from "blogging" any future projects.

I was originally drawn to the thread because of the very cheap price. Sure, I had heard that Gecko was the best when it came to stepper divers. But I also knew that the best was out of my price range. If you had simply released the new drives at the $61 price with a description of the features which you originally intended I am not sure that I would have kept reading. However, seeing the amount of thought and skill that goes into making something like this gives me a new level of respect not only for you, but also for the product. After such an in depth "blog" of these drives, I don't know if I could settle for anything less than a Gecko now.

I realize that $300 is just the current estimate of the G540 price and it could change before they are ready. Even though you never gave an estimate of the price before (other than saying less than $300) I had $250 stuck in my head. So a $50 increase for four drives and BOB isn't that bad. I probably won't be able to get it as soon as I had hoped but you can bet that I will still be buying one.

Something just occurred to me. Will the G540 also be sold through resellers or only direct from Gecko? If through resellers, then when discussing prices you might want to make sure that everyone remembers this.

Also, you said that you had typed a long post with info about the G540 but lost it when you timed out. I hope that you will try to post that again so that we can see how that is coming along.

Man I envy you. You have a job doing something you love to do. Many of us never get to do that.

would these connectors work for the current g250 ?

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/sto...oductId=837370

i need a easy way to tap those pins
    dan

Won't the standard Gecko connectors work? I probably overlooked that info earlier. I never intended to buy them without connectors. Actually I never intended to get the loose drives at all, but will be getting a 540. Very nice piece of engineering there.
    Lee

i'm trying to create a breakout board, or a connection to my current bob
    there is no gecko connector , as far as i know, at this time, for the initial $29 boards.
    dan

ps
    screw termination is much easier

Page 52 of 90 242505152535462