584,817 active members*
4,701 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking > WoodWorking Topics > Stock thickness: cutting too much?

Stock thickness: cutting too much?

I'm fairly new to CNC, so I apologize if this issue has a simple solution, but I want to consider all my options before proceeding.

The piece I designed has a thickness of 10mm. If I use a piece of 4/4 stock (thickness approx 25mm), I will be cutting (and wasting) over half of my stock. I have set the piece to be at the bottom of my stock so that it can be "cut out" at the end. Here are a few of my half-baked ideas:

1) Just take the loss of stock
    2) Cut the stock thickness in half (what machine could do this? I'm fairly sure I don't have it)
    3) I'm making multiple identical pieces, so I could design the CNC to "stack" the designs, with a pause for me to get the top piece out before it starts on the bottom piece (but then how would I "cut out" the top piece?)
    4) Is there a such thing as buying stock that is 1/2" (approx 12.5mm) thick? That would be perfect, because I would only be wasting 2.5mm of stock

What is my best course of action here? One of these options or something completely different? Thanks in advance

Re: Stock thickness: cutting too much?

What material? Most sheet goods are available in 1/2'' (12mm) or even 10mm maybe. 4/4 solid wood is normally about 19mm net, but that depends on the end use and the mill.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

I'm currently deciding between hard and soft wood, either something like cherry or maple.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    What material? Most sheet goods are available in 1/2'' (12mm) or even 10mm maybe. 4/4 solid wood is normally about 19mm net, but that depends on the end use and the mill.
    I'm currently deciding between hard and soft wood, either something like cherry or maple.

Look for someone who can "resaw" your stock to the approximate thickness you need. The machine required is a bandsaw with a wide blade and fence. Google "resawing service near me: and you should find someone. Most places that do millwork can do this.
    Andrew Werby
    Website