584,802 active members*
4,930 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > CNC Swiss Screw Machines > CITIZEN Machines > Cincom Citizen L20 swiss cnc inquiry; decent?

Cincom Citizen L20 swiss cnc inquiry; decent?

A friend and myself are looking at an opportunity to acquire a 3000sqfy shop and a pair of Cincom citizen L20 swiss cnc along with a small customer base. If we move ahead we intend to move our two businesses together and blend a 3 in 1 since we manufacture many similar sized parts. My question is does anyone have experience with these and if there is something we should look at when we go inspect this coming Saturday. Both machines are currently operable and run in a part time environment. They would be very useful for our own products and the irony is they were already manufacturing something similar so it seems like a good opportunity to take on together. My main concern is I know what to inspect besides spindle runout and obvious things like that. Both machines have feeders and swarf conveyers. A couple photos attached. Both are essentially same.

Correction I misunderstood other machine is a 16 mil star not for this post. So it’s one citizen. Looks like a yama seiki sw-32 (not operating) also included.

Quote Originally Posted by Uguessedit View Post
    A friend and myself are looking at an opportunity to acquire a 3000sqfy shop and a pair of Cincom citizen L20 swiss cnc along with a small customer base. If we move ahead we intend to move our two businesses together and blend a 3 in 1 since we manufacture many similar sized parts. My question is does anyone have experience with these and if there is something we should look at when we go inspect this coming Saturday. Both machines are currently operable and run in a part time environment. They would be very useful for our own products and the irony is they were already manufacturing something similar so it seems like a good opportunity to take on together. My main concern is I know what to inspect besides spindle runout and obvious things like that. Both machines have feeders and swarf conveyers. A couple photos attached. Both are essentially same.

Quote Originally Posted by Uguessedit View Post
    Correction I misunderstood other machine is a 16 mil star not for this post. So it’s one citizen. Looks like a yama seiki sw-32 (not operating) also included.
    Photo of citizen control. Guessing it’s 80’s? Not really familiar with these Swiss. Fortunately it comes with a full time hire or training if we choose to move forward.

Re: Cincom Citizen L20 swiss cnc inquiry; decent?

The Citizen and Star look to be very old machines, so you have to be concerned with part availability when things start breaking down. Suggest to run all slides in rapid and listen for any load noises.
    Yama Seiki does not seem to have adequate service and support in the US

Swiss machines if taken care of can last a long time. Things to look for are bearing wear mainly. Have them turn on the spindles through various RPMs. Listen to them. If you hear anything like a whine or a grinding sound, bearings should be replaced. Also look for signs of crashes. Dented panels, missing paint etc. Ballscrews should be looked at by having the axis moved on its full range of motion

Re: Cincom Citizen L20 swiss cnc inquiry; decent?

The Citizen in the thumbnail is an L320, manufactured from about 91-96. On the back of the machine about thigh high is plate with manufacture date and serial number. Based on the picture I'd guess 92-94 vintage.
    Very dependable machines with wonderfull accuracy. Everything for these machines is still available through Citizen and Mitsubishi. 20mm limit on work diameter.In the picture it is up and running according to display and lights but main spindle cover is missing. Not critical but might be a sign of miss-use. Citizen offers training classes for programming if you need but I'm not sure of the cost.