584,874 active members*
4,908 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Tormach Slant Lathe > A New Design ETS ..Tool Setter for Lathe...and Mill?

A New Design ETS ..Tool Setter for Lathe...and Mill?

Hi Folks!

I have been developing a new design ETS toolsetter for SlantPro and RapidTurn - and other lathes...and possibly mills.

Below is a introductory video of a Mk3 prototype. I would like to hear your thoughts or questions.

Lets respect the CNCZone guidelines and keep the subject to technical.

Cheers. Cliff

Re: A New Design ETS ..Tool Setter for Lathe...and Mill?

That looks like a great time saver to set tools on center in the lathe. How accurate do the bubble levels make the table?

I've used one of those light-up edgefinders with a ball on the end that use continuity through the machine to set X and Z in my SL15 which works, but doesn't have much in the way of impact tolerance, especially in Z. You also have to remember which way the sign goes, so that is much easier and probably quicker.

In mill use, is there an easy way to tell if the platform has tilted a little bit or shifted vertically? Otherwise if you weren't paying attention, tools might end up measured slightly too long.as the table dips or moves on the shaft.

Hi Shred.

Re "That looks like a great time saver to set tools on center in the lathe. How accurate do the bubble levels make the table?
    In mill use, is there an easy way to tell if the platform has tilted a little bit or shifted vertically? Otherwise if you weren't paying attention, tools might end up measured slightly too long.as the table dips or moves on the shaft. "

Good questions. First the rotational accuracy. Yes I have tested that. Remember the tool is on center and so this is actually not that critical, but anyway the alignment is very good. Specifically, with an indicator on the anvil flat near center and the bubble central by eye range +/- it moves no more than +/- 0.001 mm . And even at 5mm off center of the 12mm anvil flat (not that the tool would ever be that far off) the bubble central by eye range +/- means about +/- 0.01mm error.

Re the anvil surface shifting. If the anvil surface tilts, if rotating is what you mean, then the vial bubble shows it has been moved. If you mean shifts within itself, it is sprung against the contacts and stays in its position very accurately (this test is shown at the end of the video)

But in mill mode, I see what you are asking. The mill mode use is so far a bit of an after thought and I have not done a lot of R&D on that application. If there is widespread interest in that application I will need to do more R&D on it, including the platform. So far the interest is mainly for lathe use. But thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Cheers Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    Hi Shred.
    Good questions. First the rotational accuracy. Yes I have tested that. Remember the tool is on center and so this is actually not that critical, but anyway the alignment is very good. Specifically, with an indicator on the anvil flat near center and the bubble central by eye range +/- it moves no more than +/- 0.001 mm . And even at 5mm off center of the 12mm anvil flat (not that the tool would ever be that far off) the bubble central by eye range +/- means about +/- 0.01mm error.

But in mill mode, I see what you are asking. The mill mode use is so far a bit of an after thought and I have not done a lot of R&D on that application. If there is widespread interest in that application I will need to do more R&D on it, including the platform. So far the interest is mainly for lathe use. But thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Cheers Cliff
    Thanks Cliff, I presumed you'd done some testing on the accuracy of the bubble level to the anvil, and it appears to be pretty good.

The mill toolsetting platform is what I was thinking about in terms of 'how do you reset it accurately after a crash?" and 'How do you know it hasn't been bumped and moved or tipped a bit?' I imagine you can get those sorted out in R&D.

Another thing to consider might be a way to lock the anvil from moving for things like the Haimer indicators and probes that need some force and travel to get to zero.

Hi Shred

"Another thing to consider might be a way to lock the anvil from moving for things like the Haimer indicators and probes that need some force and travel to get to zero."

Yes good to hear you think that also - I was thinking of adding that feature, it would also help to have a stable anvil when checking or dialing in the platform.

I have key components underway on the slow boat from China, (springs and beepers and contact alloy) and look forward to making a batch when I get a gap.

In the mean time, keep those comments coming!

Cheers Cliff

Nice work Cliff! What about a led instead of the beeper? That tone is very annoying to me. I agree anvil locking for probe touch off would be a good idea. Is there a provision for cleaning the mating surfaces where the anvil contacts the body?
    -Jon

Quote Originally Posted by maker of things View Post
    Nice work Cliff! What about a led instead of the beeper? That tone is very annoying to me. I agree anvil locking for probe touch off would be a good idea. Is there a provision for cleaning the mating surfaces where the anvil contacts the body?
    Thanks for your thoughts Jon. Ok well LED is proving more popular overall so far - good to know!

Yes the mating surfaces as you describe them are critical and getting a lot of R & D.

Cheers Cliff

Hi Folks. Thanks for all your input, I have been listening. Here is a video showing a refined MK4 version .

Cheers Cliff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTQiqjL_aQc&t=1140s

Hi cliff,
    Good very informative video.
    I like the indicator light idea also.
    Overall I think you have a simple usable and safe tool for this less then fun task of setting up lathe tool offsets and centers. "impact resistant is nice"
    As you mention it's all about repeating the same process for each tool in the tool table.

Hi Folks. Well I have finally got there!

Months of work developing and pilot production on a new range of Lathe ToolSetters.

Here is the introduction video: Cheers, Cliff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SV9BO16h-m0&t=68s