584,812 active members*
5,395 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

UCcnc and PLASMA

UCcnc has great potential for a CNC plasma machine. Anyone tested on yet ? I have a new plasma screen mockup ready to start on. It has all the normal features for a plasma machine. With UCcnc' s trajectory planner it can run very smooth and fast tool paths that would be great for laser/plasma machines.

Do you have any suggestions for feaetures for a plasma cutter?? Let's hear them.

(;-) TP

Re: UCcnc and PLASMA

This is the ACTUAL working plasma screen based on the mock up.

vmax549

Have you made any more progress on implementing a control for a plasma table using UCcnc? Do you know of any torch height controls that have been integrated into UCcnc? Do you know if UCcnc has built in torch height control?

John

Any manually interfaced THC control that works with Mach3 should work fine with UCCNC . For a fully automated THC it would take a plugin for UCCNC (Doable).

(;-) TP

How do I go about obtaining a plasma screen like the one shown on here!

CNCDives is finishing up the NEW screensets that run under OpenGL When they are finished testing I can take a look at it for you. Are there anything special you need it to do for you?

(;-) TP

Quote Originally Posted by vmax549 View Post
    CNCDives is finishing up the NEW screensets that run under OpenGL When they are finished testing I can take a look at it for you. Are there anything special you need it to do for you?

(;-) TP
    Nothing extra ordinary. I like the look of the screen set you posted on here. Simple with just an x,y,z axis. THC. Torch on/off.

I'm 100% new to cnc and I am in the research mode. I've spoken to a guy regularly about the electronics and he pointed me to the UCCNC software.

So far I like it over Mach3 in that I can load a g-code and get it to run.

Hello

I recently prepared a document to help guide me in refitting a new control to my plasma table. I have attached it here for your consideration. I am actually very flexible on the user interface, the document represents a starting place for me to look at modifying an existing user interface. The one requirement I am really stuck on is integrated Torch Height Control (THC). I can workout all of the external electronics to interface the motion control box to the table, plasma cutter and drives.

John

Is there ANYTHING special you guys would like to have on a Real Plasma screenset ? It is about time to create a new Plasma screenset for UCCNC.

(;-) TP

Well since you are asking for a wish list here goes. I realize that many items on this list will require external hardware so in those cases it is only software/display hooks to the UCcnc box/ I/O pins that I am requesting.

1. Full featured integrated torch height control
    2. Support for conductive sensing with floating fail safe switch for plate top surface sensing.
    3. As far as practical only the controls necessary for current operating mode on screen.
    4. Indicators of state of all plasma, plate surface sensing and other? I/O bits.
    5. User adjustable offset and gain for arc voltage feed back.
    6. Adjustable gains for arc voltage height servo, P and I terms needed, Anti windup value for I term.
    7. To be able to have continuous contouring contain embedded M,F,and S codes that don't cause motion to stop . This is to implement fast torch off before the end of cut to prevent "divots" and to freeze torch height in corners and arcs.
    8. Synchronize plot position display to active or selected gcode block.
    9. Feedrate override control and display values of override percent, gcode commanded feedrate and actual feedrate when in automatic mode.

John

#1 Define fully integrated
    #2 you can do that now BUT you will NOT like conductive probing Capacitance probing yes.\
    #3 You can have that today
    #4 You can have that today
    #5 Working on that(;-) It is possible from UCcnc
    #6 That ONLY appliews to an idependant Z UCcnc CAN run 2 seperate controls at teh same time(;-)
    #7 You an have that today UCCNC doe async and sync control over F M S
    #8 Not sure of what you are asking for.
    #9 You can have that today

There is STILL a LOT more USEFULL plasma features that you did not even ask for (;-) that you can have today.

Here is another Plasma screen I am working on . The button graphics are not finished yet these are just quick sample to get the look and feel of the screen.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Plasma_mockup.jpg  

vmax549

Thank you for taking such an interest in getting a really good plasma control going. I have limited requirements compared to someone trying to run a job shop. I only cut a narrow range of thinnish sheet (11ga & 14ga) in both hot rolled and 304 stainless. It is all used for silhouettes and garden stuff. I have only ever used my Torchmate 3 controller for plasma cutting so I may well miss nice features from others.

My definition of full featured integrated torch height control is that all torch height control functionality except the isolated connection to measure arc voltage ( this may take two boxes, one at the plasma unit and one at the controller) are handled/contain in the main controller hardware (Z axis commands generated, step and direction outputs to Z axis driver in the of a UCcnc box) and software. I think that the CandCNC DTHC series pretty well handles the definition of all the features one might need. I also made a stab at it in the requirements document that I prepared for my self (a few posts back) so I could get my head around what I think I needed. I do like the Mesa Electronics/ LinuxCNC way of isolated measurement of arc voltage.

When I started using a Hypertherm torch that requires a cutting height of .060" and .020" my old Torchmate AVHC with it's smash the sheet until the drive stalls method of plate top sensing no longer was anywhere near accurate enough. So I hacked the TM AVHC to make it work with a CandCNC Feather Touch box for conductive plate top sensing. This gives me very good repeatably with fair accuracy ( as good as I can measure with feeler gauges). The main downside is that it doesn't like getting wet, which is a drawback because I have a water table. That is why I have the requirement to test the sensor at the start of each probing cycle for being stuck on (wet) and stopping for cleaning. My hack of the TM AVHC does this. I didn't consider a capacitance sensor because so many people use the Feather Torch with their CandCNC systems and I didn't find complaints about its operation. So a capacitance sensor may well work better I just never used one or read much about others using one.

Thanks again for taking all the time and effort this requires.

John

Well..

Since my decision to pursue a CNC Plasma table of my own I started to research like crazy. I have downloaded demos and learned SheetCAM. I have really liked the UCCNC program with the appeal of using a UC100 adapter or even the UC300 adapter with a laptop. (not decided or found which would be better)

I was cruising on this site and came across your CNC Plasma screens for Plasma. If you have a good basic plasma screen that works Im all in for that. I like the one you previously posted. Shows preset volt, cut volts, torch on/off, etc. I necessarily dont need anything crazy or special.

My table is going to be 4x4 with water tray. Direct drive gantry with floating torch mount for touch and go using a micro switch. THC will probably be a Proma unit unless you have any other better solutions.

Here is another Plasma screen I am working on . The button graphics are not finished yet these are just quick sample to get the look and feel of the screen.
    Looking good Terry. Any idea when we might see this new screen editor you mentioned?

Hopefully very soon (;-) But I really can't speak for UCcnc. They will have to make the decision as to when it will be released. I do know they are working very hard on the NEW UC400ETH controller. So it MAY all come out at once.

You can MOD you rscreen now BUT you have to do it manually by programming the script. I was doing it that way before the editor was ready. It is NOT as hard as it seems(;-).

I can do a manual THC version now but I am still working on a Modbus plugin so I can talk to an auto THC board . That way your THC will setup and be controlled on screen. THEN with another plugin to talk to a Hypertherm plasma Unit we will have FULL AUTO Torch control with the THC AND PLASMA Torch. Actually ANY Plasma machine that has a COM port could be done.

(;-) TP

Hi Vmax

Where can one download the plasma screen?

This is the ACTUAL working plasma screen based on the mock up.

UCcnc has a NEW Plasma screen designed. Hopefully it will release soon.

(;-) TP

Thanks Vmax. I ordered a Powermax 85 and want to build my table soon, I really want to use UCcnc because i don`t like the others.
    Hope it will be done when i`m finished with the build!

Dennis

The Guys At UCcnc and Keith from AUS went through UCcnc and tested and verified every THC function for proper timing with a scope. That caused a LOT of those functions to be rewrote to work spot on very time AND they gave us some extra THC features to boot. It all should be released soon along with a new screenset for plasma.

I think you made a great choice for a plasma controller (;-)

(;-) TP

Sounds good, and if they can add a Modbus plugin for THC and to control a Hypertherm or any other plasma with a serial port then they will have a winner.

Like you said i made the right choice :-). Cause i`ve been researching like crazy on controllers.

Thanks for explaining everything, let me know if there is anything new.

Dennis

Page 1 of 2 12