584,826 active members*
5,275 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

View Poll Results: Have you tried "Gearotic Motion" yet?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

31 31.63%
  • Not yet

28 28.57%
  • I wasnt aware of it.

39 39.80%
  • No I have no interest in this sort of software.

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12

Your thoughts about the new "Gearotic Motion" software

Has anyone checked out Gearotic Motion software yet? Tell us your thoughts about it, good or bad.
    What do you think of it?
    At first I thought it was basic gear hobbing, but after looking at it I recon its amazing.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvj8RoLRhtE"]YouTube - Helical.mp4[/nomedia]

Being outside the square !!!

New windows interface is a bit strange. That's progress ?? I suppose.
    A limited, truncated output files on the demo would allow a bit more trialling before purchase.
    With the dollar at parity, good value, and I am sure it works well, as does Mach3 etc.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Neil, did you view the video tutorials showing how to use the interface?
    Gearotic Motion Tutorials

Yes I agree a truncated output file in demo mode is a good idea.
    I also recon if you could save your working files in demo mode this would allow users to make better projects over a few trials. Then they could get a licence once they decide they like it.

No, I just downloaded it and tried everything.
    I only resort to tutorials when I am stumped.
    I have GOOD broadband, (well not like Korea) and they are just another bandwidth hog. Pretty and all that, but at 17MBS it is tooo loooong to wait
    It is not the navigation. I just hate the windows ribbon rubbish using MY screen area. Menus always work, and who wants more icons? Latest office stuff is awful, in your face cr4p.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Neil:

I dont disagree. I highly suspect at some point Ill redo the main GUI, it was a bad choice but I havent wanted to go back and reinvent the wheel as yet. But I tend to agree, the ribbon stuff is terrible to handle, but that may be more my fault than the gui's, Im using vs2008, its abotu time I upgraded to VS2010 as I understand it handles all the various ribbon options much better than 2008, and has better menu control in that format.

Anyway, it may change in future..

Art
    www.gearotic.com
    www.gearotic.com
    Art Fenerty

Oh, no.
    Moving forward always seems to be a backward step with the stuff they remove.
    It seems to be the way of the world, like solidworks. Nothing is backward compatible, unlike ACAD
    I have 3 commercially used packages out there over 20 years old, and one has recently been replaced by later stuff, but they still can't wean themselves off the stuff that still works. Version 93 last updated in 2000 for millennium issues. And it co-operated with windows then and now, still.

Art, Don't let them beat you. You are doing brilliant work.
    My VESA stuff still work under virtual PC. At least W7 is better behaved.
    Only poorly written patchy stuff fails, and so it should.

Nice to respond to you Art.
    PM me if for email if I can be of assistance.

Anyway, it may change in future.
    Thats a point. If we were to buy a licence now, does that mean we would have to pay for upgrades in the near future?

Hi Benny:

Nope, as with everything I write, upgrades are free no matter at what point you purchased..

Art
    www.gearotic.com
    Art Fenerty

That looks pretty cool, I need to get or make myself a 4th axis and have a go at that !

Russell.

Hey Russell, I made the same assumption too. Art pointed out that most gears can be cut using 2.5D linear machines. He said that only helical and one otther (Cant remember) needs a rotary axis. That means most people should be set to go with thier current machines.

Quote Originally Posted by ynneb View Post
    Hey Russell, I made the same assumption too. Art pointed out that most gears can be cut using 2.5D linear machines. He said that only helical and one otther (Cant remember) needs a rotary axis. That means most people should be set to go with thier current machines.
    but a 4th axis would make it that much more fun
    neat software
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Quote Originally Posted by dertsap View Post
    but a 4th axis would make it that much more fun
    neat software
    Undoubtably !!! But it also means you can make your gears for making your 4th axis. That's a thought, I wonder if Gearotic can make timing belt pulleys.

Hi Benny:

It CAN make timing belts, or at least some for now. It has a library function on th espur gear generator that can load setups or store them , and the library comes with two types of xl timing belt pulleys.
    We hope to add more as people discover the settings for them, and I may have to add soem more selections to allow for more types.

Art
    www.gearotic.com
    Art Fenerty

Quote Originally Posted by Art Fenerty View Post
    It CAN make timing belts,
    And all this time I've been buying them ! j/k

Are there vertical cutters available for that tooth profile. Is it easily done with one of the common end mill profiles ? This sounds like one of the 4th axis jobs.
    Open question.
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Hi:

If its tooth profile is involute, then it CAN be cut with a normal end mill. I do have requests for GM to cut involute tools though, so I may add that in the future.

Art
    www.gearotic.com
    Art Fenerty

I purchased Gearotic in hopes of the program reducing my gear geometry ignorance, so far it hasn't done that

Haven't been able to create a gear dxf with out it crashing in the several times I have tried it.

Also cannot read the dimension in red.

I'll have at it again though.

Hi Ken:

Ouch, I dont like hearing that. I suspect your trouble is related to Windows 7from the description. Please let me know if this doesnt fix you up.

1) Reinstall using the ltest release of 1.65.
    2) Right click the icon for Gearotic on your desktop and select the compatability tab, check the "run as admin" box. This allows the system to display the OpenGL text you spoke of. This is a known error in Win7. No-one seems to know why opengl text is an issue as yet.
    3) There is a button on the top of the bar next to the question mark, click it and select a new folder to save gear data into. ( Personally, I create a folder on my desktop called GearData) . Win7 doesnt like saveing files to the program files foler, using the desktop or a folder such as C:\GearData will work fine.

Let me kmnow if these steps dont fix your trouble, Ill work with you to make sure its all OK. Win7 is a bit of a pain at times due to its security, and these steps bypass it to allow everything to work.

Its important to me that users get what they pay for, and you can be assured Ill make sure your education gets completed on Gears..

Art
    www.gearotic.com
    Art Fenerty

Hi Art,
    Gearotic is operating under XP and the V1.65 was installed a few days back.

I'll load it up later tonight and try again.

It's likely my omission of something that is causing the crash, and the program is just not expecting that.

Thanks for the reply.

Ken

Art,
    I was mistaken on my version being 1.65 was 1.64. something, anyway, it has been updated.

Here is a pick of the page and error box.
    Clicking yes loops to the same question, clicking no crashes.

Please don't make me look too ignorant here

Ken
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GEAROTIC.jpg  

Hi Ken:

Wow..thats weird, Ive only heard of those symptoms from Win7, you shouldnt have trouble in XP at all, or at least by all reports so far, but with only a hundred people or so running it there arent enough stats for me yet
    to zero in exactly on an issue.
    Let me know what your experiment shows, it shouldnt crash on you in any event. ( Not that it isnt possible, there is massive number crunching going on for the sake of accuracy of the gear and you never know what gear will be impossible mathmatically and cause a crash, though as I find those possabilities I turn them off one at a time. Its getting more stable each release, but as I say I DO want to ensure it puts out output for everyone.
    DXF is probably one of the most important functions as many people use those as much as actual Gcode....

But dont hesitate to get back to me if theres any trouble, I can generate test versions to narrow down your particular problem in the theory that finding your issue helps a few dozen others in future..

Art
    www.gearotic.com
    Art Fenerty

Page 1 of 2 12