584,805 active members*
5,127 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hurco VMX42SR

Hello, I've been having intermittent following errors on my Hurco VMX42SR for ages now. I retrofitted the power supply two days ago after researching threads here. That day after startup, calibration, warm-up, and running a program there were no following errors. Yesterday.. the errors came back.

The following errors don't seem to have any particular pattern as to /which/ axis will cause the error. I've noticed that the worklight will flicker right before the following error window will pop up, and will then keep intermittently flickering afterwards. Most of the time, it'll error during calibration, but sometimes during warm-up.

I'm really hoping the experts on this forum can provide some guidance... Has anyone had a similar issue? Does anyone have some advice or guidance on what I should test?

Re: Hurco VMX42SR

DCI/O backplane.

Quote Originally Posted by bloke View Post
    DCI/O backplane.
    Howdy bloke, anything in particular?

The three boards on the left with the blue connectors are plugged into the DCI/O backplane. Remove them and the end cover to get it out. Make sure the power cable plugged into the end of it has clean contacts in both the plug and the socket when it is re-fitted/replaced.

...low Input Voltage or are you running on a Phase Converter to machine can cause problems ...what type of Servo system AC or DC?....what model servo Amp's do you have? ....post the manual if, you have it .....Is each axis Lag (following error) equal when tested or at Spec?....what type/brand/model Spindle drive do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by bloke View Post
    The three boards on the left with the blue connectors are plugged into the DCI/O backplane. Remove them and the end cover to get it out. Make sure the power cable plugged into the end of it has clean contacts in both the plug and the socket when it is re-fitted/replaced.
    I removed all the boards from the motherboard, as well as the DC/IO Backplane, wearing my antistatic wrist strap. A close inspection of the boards showed very clean contacts, but just to be sure I cleaned all the boards carefully.

----------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by machinehop5 View Post
    ...low Input Voltage or are you running on a Phase Converter to machine can cause problems ...what type of Servo system AC or DC?....what model servo Amp's do you have? ....post the manual if, you have it .....Is each axis Lag (following error) equal when tested or at Spec?....what type/brand/model Spindle drive do you have?
    • I thought my problem might be low input voltage, which is why I replaced the power supplies.
    • Not running on a phase converter.
    • AC Yaskawa Servo Drive.
    • Don't have the manual X_X
    • Siemens Simodrive 611

----------------------------------

Just to investigate what would happen after cleaning the boards, I put everything back together and started the machine... I now have a new issue. :c

The following three error messages appear once WinMax starts:

"ATC Error!! Both Exchange Arm at 0 and 90 degrees inputs detected. Enter "ATC & Machine Diagnostics" to clear error."
    "ATC Error!! Spindle Clamp input not detected. Enter "ATC & Machine Diagnostics" to clear error."
    "ATC Error!! Magazine Pin locked input not detected. Enter "ATC & Machine Diagnostics" to clear error."

Problem is, when I enter "ATC & Machine Diagnostics" the damn "Exchange Arm" error message pops up again, and WinMax won't let me do anything.

I called Hurco support, and they had me test the voltages on the test-points to the side of the power supply interface card, which read as follows:

* 12.24V
    * 5.00V
    * 3.31V
    * -12.28V
    * -0.008V
    * 24V
    * GND

Hurco support suggested to check for a broken/crappy wire going to the toolchanger which should be providing 24V (according to them). After poking around, I found this box:

I've no idea where to even begin for testing a broken wire.. it's a total rat's nest with wires going *everywhere!*

I'm very flustered by all this, and truth be told, I'm not sure my company can afford to have Hurco send a tech out, so I'm relying on you guys.

Any thoughts, ideas, further suggestions?

As a sanity check, I reinstalled the old power supplies. Turned the machine on, and I'm getting the same three ATC errors.

I took voltages from the test points, they are as follows:

* 12.35V
    * 5.08V
    * 3.327V
    * -12.00V
    * -0.003V
    * 23.79V
    * GND

...easy to mix cables sometimes...sounds like the TC cable to (DC I/O) got switched or a slave cable inside the PLC from motherboard to DC is disconnected. Possible dead CMOS battery has reset the BIOS to default also possible. I am not a Hurco type guy so, how the bios is setup for your machine just guessing and hope some zoner chimes in for ya soon.
    DJ

Quote Originally Posted by machinehop5 View Post
    ...easy to mix cables sometimes...sounds like the TC cable to (DC I/O) got switched or a slave cable inside the PLC from motherboard to DC is disconnected. Possible dead CMOS battery has reset the BIOS to default also possible. I am not a Hurco type guy so, how the bios is setup for your machine just guessing and hope some zoner chimes in for ya soon.
    DJ
    What's the TC cable?

Bloke is on the money with the DCIO back plain. You are getting low voltage on the IO boards. Cut the orange connector off and solder the wires direct to the pins on the board connector. I have done this may times on many many Hurco's from old to new racks until changed to the Mini-itx

some of the errors, you could have lost your configuration. what version of software does your machine have.